Manhattan dealer? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2008, 4:43 pm Thread Starter
SEG

Manhattan dealer?

Anyone have any experience with BMW of Manhattan? I'm considering picking up a used LT and having a decent dealer for the brand is important for me. They are the only dealer in Manhattan. Once of the draws to BMW was that there's a dealer nearby. I do know that the Jap/other Euro brand dealers in Manhattan aren't very good. I used to have to travel to Ft. Montgomery, about an hour away (that's without any traffic) to have my Moto Guzzi serviced, at Rockwell Cycles-good work but expensive, shop rate at $100/hr.
Scott
NYC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 9:55 am

Garage
Re: Manhattan dealer?

A lot of the members of the Long Island BMW Riders club like the dealership. They tend to be a little more money on their parts and service due mostly to NYC rents.

I've been in the club for 4+ years and haven't heard a negative thing about the dealership.

You can also check out Gold Coast Motorsports in New Hyde Park and Cross County BMW in Metchuan. They would be the two next closest dealers. CC is a very good dealer whereas GC is just coming on to carry BMWs.

FWIW, I've heard mixed reviews on Cliffs in Connecticut

Good Luck!!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #3 of 11 Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:27 pm

I purchased my bike from them. They have done my 600 and 6000 mile service as well as replace the airbox under warranty with no issues. The only problem, they will NOT install non BMW parts such as motolights, fuse box, Stebel horns etc.

I like them. I also go to Cliffs in Danbury as they repaired my bike 2 years ago after a laydown with Bambi. They replaced $3K in plastic and other parts. For me, I am in Westchester County , so its either shop depending on the issue and length of time for service. Same day, I go to NYC. For longer, I go to Danbury and get a loaner or have someone pick me up, or they will pickup the bike.

Both are very good shops, except for the installation of non BMW parts at Manhattan.

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 9:14 pm

I purchased my (new at the time) '06 LT from BMW Manhattan, no complaints. They've taken good care of me. However, I went to Gold Coast for an oil change and while they took good care of me, it was a premium charge of 180.00 I know the mechanic at Gold Coast is from Precision BMW (they went out of business a few months ago). The mechanic (I forgot his name) has a stellar reputation for doing quality work, but 180.00 is excessive. I probably won't go there again.
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 8:03 am

Garage

$180 for an oil change? That's crazy talk!!!!!!!!!

Did they do anything else?

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #6 of 11 Old Nov 16th, 2008, 6:23 pm

A premeir dealer in the metro area is Cross Country BMW, Metuchen NJ. They provide service and will install aftermarket items. They stand by their work, all the tech's are knowledgeable, as are both the svce mgr and assistant.

When the new LT becomes available, I'll be getting mine from CCBMW. I drove 50 miles to them for service on my old LT, the two other dealers Precesion (now closed) and Manhattan were not even a consideration. Lucky for me I'm less than 12 miles from them now.

'07 FLHTCU-POSE .......Black
'02 K1200LT-E ...........Titan Silver-Sold
post #7 of 11 Old Dec 30th, 2008, 12:59 pm

Thanks for asking, no they didn't do anything else to the bike. It was oil (with Mobil 1) and filter change only. You're right 180.00 is way overboard, and I won't go back to Gold Coast, unless I was broken down and had no choice. Even then, I'd avoid going there again if I could.

As for BMW Manhattan, I have to say they have taken good care of me, and I give them high marks on customer satisfaction. I've never had to go back for a visit to have something fixed a second time.

The only down side is getting to Manhattan BMW. Since I live in Queens (east of Manhattan for those you who don't know), I have a choice of riding cross town through Manhattan (free by going over the 59th Street Bridge) and then across 57 Street.

Ever ride an LT in rush hour traffic east to west in Manhattan? I have, and I can tell you it's not a joy. What I can tell you from that experience is that the horn of an LT is the same horn that's on a 5 Series BMW. Don't ask how I know this.

Or I can pay to go over a bridge, across the Cross Bronx Expressway (it's amazing that they call that road an expressway because it's not if you look at the speed you crawl at) and come down the West Side Highway. Manhattan BMW Motorcycle Service entrance is on 11th ave between 57 and 58 st.

I'm a fair rider (or stupid depending on your point of view) and I would still go to Manhattan for service then Gold Coast.
post #8 of 11 Old Dec 31st, 2008, 3:13 pm Thread Starter
SEG

Cross Country BMW

I'm taking my '09 LT to CCBMW in Metuchen, NJ for the install of the Voice II system. I live about 1.5 miles from BMW of Manhattan, but I chose CCBMW because I found them easier to deal with. They were willing to order the Voice II and ship it to me, so I could avoid the sales tax and they were completely flexible on when/how long I could keep the LT at the shop after the install. I've spent some time around BMW of Manhattan, and sometimes the staff is okay, other times, they're full of attitude. The kind of attitude a customer can encounter at a high-end clothing boutique on the upper east side, when you aren't dressed in a high $$$ suit. The only times I'm at a place like that is when I'm accompanying the wife, and she's normally just looking, not buying. I'll pay the tolls and accept the hassle of tunnel traffic to go to CCBMW, at least for now. I certainly find the staff at CCBMW unpretentious, very knowledgeable and what you'd hope to find at a motorcycle shop. However, I may in the future go to BMW of Manhattan for an oil/filter change; I'll leave the more expensive repairs (and I know they'll come) for CCBMW.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 1st, 2009, 4:57 pm

Re: Cross Country BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEG
I'm taking my '09 LT to CCBMW in Metuchen, NJ for the install of the Voice II system. I live about 1.5 miles from BMW of Manhattan, but I chose CCBMW because I found them easier to deal with. They were willing to order the Voice II and ship it to me, so I could avoid the sales tax and they were completely flexible on when/how long I could keep the LT at the shop after the install. I've spent some time around BMW of Manhattan, and sometimes the staff is okay, other times, they're full of attitude. The kind of attitude a customer can encounter at a high-end clothing boutique on the upper east side, when you aren't dressed in a high $$$ suit. The only times I'm at a place like that is when I'm accompanying the wife, and she's normally just looking, not buying. I'll pay the tolls and accept the hassle of tunnel traffic to go to CCBMW, at least for now. I certainly find the staff at CCBMW unpretentious, very knowledgeable and what you'd hope to find at a motorcycle shop. However, I may in the future go to BMW of Manhattan for an oil/filter change; I'll leave the more expensive repairs (and I know they'll come) for CCBMW.
Scott
SEG, be sure to say Hi to Brian the Service Mgr and his Asst Joe. Scott is the GM. Tell Em Joh & Maureen say Hi! If you haven't used them in the past, you will not be dissapointed. I'm wiating for the new LT to arrive, hopefully within a year or so.

post #10 of 11 Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 4:59 pm Thread Starter
SEG

I'll pass along the greetings to CCBMW

I'll pass along the greetings to the service department at CCBMW when I drop off the LT, in late January or early February for the Voice II install. BTW: Anyone planning on going to the motorcycle show at the Javits Center? That's where I first met the owner of CCBMW, two years ago. My wife and I plan to be at the bike show on Friday, if I can manage to slip out of work a little early. I figure there'll be a smaller crowd and we want to peruse the accessories/riding gear section and I figure they'll have their best selection on the first day. We need just a few things for the upcoming riding season. We've got a 16 day trip to the West coast planned for July.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 9:43 pm

We dropped by CCBMW today, got a quick tour of the new shop and store. Most of the renovations have been made to the building behind the current store/shop. More space for both sales and service, BMW only.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in