Thumbs down - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old May 29th, 2008, 9:18 am Thread Starter

Thumbs down

I purchased my last two BMW bikes from Second Wind BMW of Merrimack, New Hampshire. MY '07 RT, with 4000 miles on it, was hauled into their shop on Tuesday with the dreaded "EWS" problem. I called, today, Thursday, to ask how work is progressing on my bike. They said no one has even looked at it, yet. I would think that a, basically, brand new bike, under warranty, would deserve a little attention. I guess I'm wrong. I asked about a loaner bike and was told that there were none available. So, I'm going to be missing prime riding season time for God knows how long. Not real happy with BMW, or Second Wind BMW. BMW should have had a recall on these "EWS" issues a long time ago.

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old May 29th, 2008, 10:01 am
Bouncer

Re: Thumbs down

If there are bikes ahead of you in the service queue, why would they look at yours ahead of others?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old May 29th, 2008, 10:39 am Thread Starter

In my opinion, because it is a brand new bike under warranty. Although, I wouldn't say they should push the other bikes aside, but if they have to work overtime, so be it. Three days in the shop without anyone even looking at it, is unacceptable. If they gave me a loaner bike, I wouldn't raise such a fuss. But, I paid an awful lot of money for this bike and to have it just sit in the shop for however long it's going to be there, doesn't sit right with me. They know what the problem is. It's "EWS". But, I guarantee that they haven't ordered the necessary parts. So, when they finally decide to look at it, then they will order the parts, thus wasting even more time. If my new car broke down and was towed to my dealer and they said, after three days, that no one has looked at it, I'd be pretty ticked off. Wouldn't you ?

Roy

post #4 of 20 Old May 29th, 2008, 11:13 am
Gold Supporter

Roy,

How mad would you be if you found out that the reason your bike hadn't been looked at was because they were putting other bikes ahead of yours?

It is prime riding season, lots of people getting their bikes out, lots of people finding problems with their bikes, lots of bikes in the shops everywhere. Have some patience. Getting lathered up sure isn't going to speed things up and how can bashing the dealership help?

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #5 of 20 Old May 29th, 2008, 11:27 am Thread Starter

Okay, maybe I'm crazy. Some have suggested that I am. But, I think I'm justified in my opinion. I think three days with no one looking at the bike, is too long. Again, if they gave me a loaner bike, I wouldn't be as riled. I do think a brand new bike that I just paid the better part of 20 grand, that is dead in the water with a known defect (EWS), deserves some priority. I guess I am alone in my opinion.

Roy
post #6 of 20 Old May 29th, 2008, 11:31 am
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal
In my opinion, because it is a brand new bike under warranty. Although, I wouldn't say they should push the other bikes aside, but if they have to work overtime, so be it. Three days in the shop without anyone even looking at it, is unacceptable. If they gave me a loaner bike, I wouldn't raise such a fuss. But, I paid an awful lot of money for this bike and to have it just sit in the shop for however long it's going to be there, doesn't sit right with me. They know what the problem is. It's "EWS". But, I guarantee that they haven't ordered the necessary parts. So, when they finally decide to look at it, then they will order the parts, thus wasting even more time. If my new car broke down and was towed to my dealer and they said, after three days, that no one has looked at it, I'd be pretty ticked off. Wouldn't you ?

Roy
So what makes you "special" to get put in front of the other 40 or so other customers who got there before you? Most shops I know DO work overtime. Nearly every BMW mechanic I know works extra hours in the busy time to make up for the downtime in the winter. And you can't compare a motorcycle dealer's service department to a car dealership's service department. Motorcycle shops don't have 22 service bays with 16 service advisors and 32 mechanics, yet a motorcycle shop might have the same backlog of 40-50 units to work on.

The dealer has no obligation to you or anyone to look at a bike ahead of others. This is the case in all service business. If there is so much work at this dealership that there is a backlog, they'll get to it when it is YOUR TURN. I just view your complaint as a completely unreasonable expectation.

The only exception I've seen to this is for travelers who are in the middle of a trip. Most dealers I know will drop everything and get a traveler going as a courtesy.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #7 of 20 Old May 29th, 2008, 11:45 am

A friend of mine works in the warranty claim department tells me that the dealers get paid less (something like 80%) for warranty work. So, if they are cash paying customers coming to the dealer even after you, they may be serviced before you.

This is one the reason why I prefer to have two older LTs as opposed have only one newer LT.

Quote:
I purchased my last two BMW bikes from Second Wind BMW of Merrimack, New Hampshire. MY '07 RT, with 4000 miles on it, was hauled into their shop on Tuesday with the dreaded "EWS" problem. I called, today, Thursday, to ask how work is progressing on my bike. They said no one has even looked at it, yet. I would think that a, basically, brand new bike, under warranty, would deserve a little attention. I guess I'm wrong. I asked about a loaner bike and was told that there were none available. So, I'm going to be missing prime riding season time for God knows how long. Not real happy with BMW, or Second Wind BMW. BMW should have had a recall on these "EWS" issues a long time ago.

Roy

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #8 of 20 Old May 29th, 2008, 1:27 pm

Wink Re: Thumbs down

At Nick's BMW warranty issues take precedence and receive immediate attention. We understand the terms of your purchase and will do everything possible to exceed your expectations regarding any sale or service related issue. Our ultimate goal is to serve you, our customer.

You could always haul it to Green Bay...

Brian Heller
2001 LTC-Pacific Blue
post #9 of 20 Old May 30th, 2008, 6:39 am
just a guy

I'm right there with the OP. It it takes overtime effort to take a look - do it. Get it diagnosed, and the parts ordered. Who knows how long the parts will take to arrive???? Get the clock ticking.

Situations like this do not reflect well on the dealer, or BMW. It's considered a premium brand - there should be (and often is) premium service. I have confidence some dealers would handle this better.

all the best,

Mike
post #10 of 20 Old May 30th, 2008, 9:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike
I'm right there with the OP. It it takes overtime effort to take a look - do it. Get it diagnosed, and the parts ordered. Who knows how long the parts will take to arrive???? Get the clock ticking.

Situations like this do not reflect well on the dealer, or BMW. It's considered a premium brand - there should be (and often is) premium service. I have confidence some dealers would handle this better.

all the best,

Mike
+1
I would be pissed too.

Jerry
USAF Retired
BMWOA #80289
2009 R1200GSA
1985 K100 RT-Red
2002 K1200 LTC-Silver(SOLD)
post #11 of 20 Old May 30th, 2008, 11:45 am Thread Starter

UPDATE:

Well, after four days of not even looking at my bike, they said they have diagnosed the problem and guess what ? It's the "EWS" thing that I told them it was on Tuesday. Now, they are ordering the parts. I asked them when they would receive them and they said they had no idea. I told them I was scheduled to leave for Americade this upcoming Thursday and did they think I would have my bike back to make my trip. I was told, doubtful. Some of you, on this thread, have criticized me for complaining about my treatment at this dealer. Can anyone, honestly, think this is reasonable service ? I told them on Tuesday it was "EWS". They did nothing. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out "EWS". It glares at you from the display screen. So, they waited four days before ordering the parts and, now, can give me no idea of when I will get my bike back. I, only, get a chance to go on long trips, a couple of times a year. Americade was going to be one of them. Can someone send me a t-shirt ? Again, in my opinion, this is not how you treat someone who has spent, approximately, $40,000 in the last year and a half, on two brand new BMW's. I love my RT, but now I'm thinking I should have kept the LT.

Roy
post #12 of 20 Old May 31st, 2008, 8:32 am

I had a slave cylinder go bad on my LT a while back.
Got the bike to the dealer on a Tuesday and explained that I had a trip planned for that weekend and the bike was ready Friday morning... making me very happy! That's the way it should be.
BTW: My dealer is a local competitor of Second Wind.

Also, why does it take dealers so long to get ordered items.
I ordered a pair of riding pants from the dealer and it took over two weeks to get them. I could have ordered them online and received them at my door in less than a week...and probably would have saved money.
I'm all about supporting the local guys, but good service can go a long way in making up for extra cost.

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #13 of 20 Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:20 am

Can someone send me a T-shirt?

Yep, for only $18.95. Woman optional.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no sniveling.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	18146  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 20 Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 1:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josmas
I had a slave cylinder go bad on my LT a while back.
Got the bike to the dealer on a Tuesday and explained that I had a trip planned for that weekend and the bike was ready Friday morning... making me very happy! That's the way it should be.
BTW: My dealer is a local competitor of Second Wind.

Also, why does it take dealers so long to get ordered items.
I ordered a pair of riding pants from the dealer and it took over two weeks to get them. I could have ordered them online and received them at my door in less than a week...and probably would have saved money.
I'm all about supporting the local guys, but good service can go a long way in making up for extra cost.
To save on shipping they might have waited to place the order, combining several at one time.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #15 of 20 Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 7:45 pm

Garage

I'm a mechanic in a car dealer. If your new car comes in on the hook we try to look at it that day but if we're unable it definately gets looked at the next day. I stayed over today to check a sprinter motorhome that got towed in 15 minutes before quitting time so I could check it out and get the part ordered. I'll go in a little early and get him back on the road first thing. I definately would be pissed if my new RT breaks down and sits at the dealer for 4 or 5 days before getting looked at.
post #16 of 20 Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 9:13 pm

Personally I would be dissatisfied too, but you'll get a chance for your payback too. If not, do it yourself. Specifically what I am suggesting is when you get a call from the BMW dealer or BMW NA concerning your recent service you get to supply some feedback. Tell them the truth!

I have many dealers within range for service & parts, but the dealer I bought my motorcycle from (BMW of San Diego) has a completely different outlook on service than my closer one (BMW of North County). Perhaps it has to do wtih all the police motorcycles queued up outside the shop for service everyday. Perhaps it is just the service manager. Maybe it is the owner's bottom line choice? I don't know honestly, and really I don't care. What I do care about is the quality of service.

BMW of SD has performed so much better that I had to write them a letter telling them just how much of a difference they make the experiance of owning a BMW motorcycle. It also means I will drive an extra half hour out of my way (much longer if it is a heavy traffic day) just to get them to service my motorcycle. When it comes time to purchase a new BMW motorcycle, guess where my money is going to go? Guess who I recommend to others when queried about where to go for service? Or the purchase of a new motorcycle?

I just hope I get the chance to talk to BMW NA about my last service at BMW of SD so I can give them a happy customer review. Not that my review of BMW of NC was bad, it was a positive experience, but wouldn't have happened that way if the regular service manager had not of been on vacation when I went in to discuss the problems my motorcycle was having. He did not want to perform the warrenty related work. He wanted to delay. I could go in to specifics as to why, but they really were not valid reasons. Bottom line is I got that one fixed, but not the next. I had to go to BMW of SD for the warrenty work.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #17 of 20 Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:59 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
UPDATE:

Well, after four days of not even looking at my bike, they said they have diagnosed the problem and guess what ? It's the "EWS" thing that I told them it was on Tuesday. Now, they are ordering the parts. I asked them when they would receive them and they said they had no idea. I told them I was scheduled to leave for Americade this upcoming Thursday and did they think I would have my bike back to make my trip. I was told, doubtful. Some of you, on this thread, have criticized me for complaining about my treatment at this dealer. Can anyone, honestly, think this is reasonable service ? I told them on Tuesday it was "EWS". They did nothing. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out "EWS". It glares at you from the display screen. So, they waited four days before ordering the parts and, now, can give me no idea of when I will get my bike back. I, only, get a chance to go on long trips, a couple of times a year. Americade was going to be one of them. Can someone send me a t-shirt ? Again, in my opinion, this is not how you treat someone who has spent, approximately, $40,000 in the last year and a half, on two brand new BMW's. I love my RT, but now I'm thinking I should have kept the LT.

Roy
I do not agree with your opinion that you should be put ahead of others just because your bike is newer and under warranty.

However, in this case I know that the dealer I work for would have at least overnighted the part so that it was available when the shop had time to perform the work. If the problem or diagnosis was less clear this can't happen, but the EWS is a know issue and if it's flashing on the screen it's pretty simple.

Hope you make your trip.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #18 of 20 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 3:01 pm Thread Starter

Well, I thought I should reply with the end of the story. I called Second Wind BMW after 2:00 today, as requested by them, to see how work is or is not progressing on my bike. They told me that it was almost finished and I could pick up my bike tonight. I, almost, fell of my chair. So, off to Americade on Thursday I go ! However, my happiness that my bike will be home tonight, doesn't cloud the issues I have with this dealer or BMW as a company. I still maintain that I was not treated well at the dealer. And I still think it wrong for BMW to let people get stranded and not do a recall on this problem. Like everyone else, when I read someone saying that he got stranded with the "EWS" situation, I sympathized. But, when it happens to you, you get angry. I was and I still am. I truly hope that I am lucky enough to ride BMW motorcycles the rest of my life, but that doesn't mean they do everything right or that BMW, as a company, could not be improved.

Roy
post #19 of 20 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 1:05 am
just a guy

Roy,

I can tell you that I think BMW does read this forum. You might get a call, or might not. I do think they will take your comments under consideration. After I put a few miles on my new bike I'll dig up the thread about my ABS issues and post resolution (I hope).

I hope your trip goes well! The R12RT is a great bike.

all the best,

Mike
post #20 of 20 Old Jun 5th, 2008, 6:02 pm

Guys in my 10 years working on BMW in Australia BMW do care about Customer Service.One of the things the factory does is send in "Customers" who are there Specifically to Gauge and report back to BMW how the Customer is treated by the Dealership and the Individual staff are rated as well.We were never warned who or when or whether it would be an old or newer model so even the guys who may not have bought anything from BMW but who were a potential customer in the future are supposed to treated EQUALLY.Like any manufacturer these days a lot of supply is outsourced,this means they do not always have controll of supply as much as they would like.As always in any Industry some are better than others and anybody can have a bad day.I remember stripping an LT looking for a current drain only to find out after a week the problem was due to Radio Software,as someone at the Supplier took a while to pass on the Issue to BMW and then it had to be passed on down the supply chain to us.Yes we do want to have a good relationship if possible but as in any job some people think the world revolves around them and can be more trouble than they are worth.Put yourself in other peoples shoes sometimes before you make Judgements.
BMW are also in my Experience of Most of the Bike Manufactures on of the better ones from a Dealers point of view they do Pay reasonably for Warranty work,But like all Industries will not pay for something because you misdiagnosed it.This means all Techs will make Extra sure they get it right.To give an Example I know of an Audi dealership in Sydney who had over $200,000 dollars of warranty claims rejected because the parts they replaced were not faulty.Yes this means on some strange problems it may mean "Borrowing" parts from BMW to swap out if you don't have them on hand for testing Purposes.On the Integral ABS for instance being a safety related item the supplier insisted each unit was coded electronically to the individual bike meaning a replacement had to come from the supplier,then to BMW and eventually to the dealership.And yes BMW do spend a LOT of money on Airfreight trying to keep the customer Happy. Hopefully this explanation might help Everyone to work together for the Benefit of All. Cheers Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in