Lone Star BMW in Austin - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 4:25 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Thumbs up Lone Star BMW in Austin

I want to sing the praises of Lone Star BMW in Austin Texas. I will try and keep this short, but I have lots to tell and since this is a praise of one dealership I am not going to name the “Other” dealership where the problems all occurred.

Shortly after my 600 mile oil change my 06 LT’s gas mileage dropped from 53 to 34 mpg. I complained to my dealer and they hooked it to a computer and said nothing was wrong. For months I complained every time I took it in about the poor gas mileage and always got the same response. A few months later I took a trip to Phoenix and was getting 27 mpg highway, which Ironhorse BMW in Tucson said was some kind of record. I had to make a pit stop at their dealership, because my dealer had installed my seat improperly and clamped a hose, which caused my gas tank to collapse and break my Fuel Sending Unit. They looked the bike over for me (actually spent about five hours with it on a rack) and told me to have my dealer check the bike over when I got home, because something was wrong. They also found several wiring issues on my bike from several farkle adds.

When I got home I took the bike back and the dealership hooked it up to there computer again and again said nothing was wrong, but the Regional Service Rep would be in and they would have him look at it. I met him in October (six months after getting my bike and complaining about the MPG issues) and he told them to check the plugs, air filter, and check the valve settings. I left the bike with them and it took almost two weeks, but they finally called and said they found one valve too tight and one was too loose and they made the corrections, the owner of the dealership had taken my bike home and proclaimed it was running great. I picked up the bike and found no difference in performance or MPG. I would contact them about once a month and ask what they intended to do because the Regional Service Rep had claimed he would authorize more work if his suggestion didn’t help. I kept getting the run around.

Finally in July I called the GM of the dealership, as they were on their sixth service manager since all this started (which should tell you something about this dealership and its management) and asked him what was going to be done to resolve the MPG issue. He said “Not sure what you would like me to do? Your getting high 30’s...what are you expecting to get?” Needless to say, now I was pissed and I never really thought of 33 to 34 as “High Thirty’s” and this was by far not the only issue I have had with my dealer, so I went up the chain to find the Regional Service Rep I had been dealing with. Took awhile, but I found out he hadn’t been with the organization since January, so I had been getting jerked around on that too. I called BMW National and spoke with them about the situation.

BMW National told me to schedule another appointment with my dealer and they would walk them through what they wanted checked on my bike. I called and made the appointment, however, before that came around we had a Tech Session in Dallas which was an eye opening experience for all of us. I can’t tell you how many feet of wire Grif pulled out of my bike from all my farkle adds, which my dealer had done. There was wire balled up and stuck in places you wouldn’t believe. Then the real story unfolded, as Grif checked the valve clearance and found that 15 of 16 valves were too tight. Two others who knew what they were doing checked the valves and confirmed this. I called BMW National back and told them what we had found and they recommended that rather than going back to my dealer I go to Lone Star BMW and get my bike done right.

I contacted Randy at Lone Star and he said he would get me squeezed in. Mike, the Tech, took my bike and checked it over from headlight to tail light and found things wrong with my bike I didn’t even know about. He also found the same problem with the valves along with other things like the timing chain which hadn’t been handled correctly by the dealer before and caused some damage to it. I now have my bike back and am happy getting MPG in the 40’s now on the highway and in town.

Lone Star took the time to not only find out what was causing my problems, but to see if there were any other issues with my bike, which as it turned out there were several and now those have been rectified. The staff all treated me like I was a long term customer at Lone Star and Denise, was fantastic when I was looking for a new riding suit along with all the other gals in apparel. So, I want to give a huge thank you to Lone Star BMW in Austin.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 6:12 pm

Thumbs up Lone Star BMW

Yes they are the best. I take my bikes down there to get serviced and buy goodies. I live in Fort Worth and its 360 miles roundtrip and yes, I have a trailer to haul them. Hell I ride them down there too.

Great folks
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 10:43 am

It just doesn't get any better than LoneStar BMW. And Mike compliments the ownership in seeing that things are done right.

I live 250 miles from them, but use them exclusively for anything I can't do myself.

First class act!

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 12th, 2007, 7:03 pm

loanstar bmw

I also have a lot of good to say about Loan Star BMW. Service is a tough business, they try hard and have been fair with me.

Fair and honest is all I can ask.

Jim

( Would asking for 20 % discount be pushing it. )
post #5 of 5 Old May 28th, 2008, 8:18 am

Re: loanstar bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by loansumrider
I also have a lot of good to say about Loan Star BMW. Service is a tough business, they try hard and have been fair with me.

Fair and honest is all I can ask.

Jim

( Would asking for 20 % discount be pushing it. )
I have been most pleased with all my dealings with Lone Star through two bikes. I just wish they had the space/equipment to service my K LT trike.
Ben White/The Hills, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in