WAS: Not happy with A&S, NOW: Happy!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 1:35 pm Thread Starter
was

WAS: Not happy with A&S, NOW: Happy!!!

After some internal debate about buying parts from my local dealer vs. buying from an internet place, I split the list of parts that I needed and did both. My local dealer had everything I requested in stock. For the internet order I used A&S, primarily because of their nice microfiche of parts giving the BMW part number. I ordered $400.00 plus of parts on 2/9. I immediately got an email from A&S, thanking me for the order and telling me that all the parts are out of stock. Huh? Brake hoses out of stock? Crank case cover gasket out of stock? Shift lever ball pins and shift selector rods out of stock? This place does do repairs and maintenance on BMWs, yes? I immediately emailed back that I found it difficult to understand how every part I ordered was out of stock, and also that I needed more information - like how long it would take to order all the parts and ship them to me. That was on 2/9. I didn't expect an answer over the weekend. I didn't get one yesterday or today. I finally called the place, and someone in the parts dept. said, yes, all the parts were out of stock, they all had been ordered from BMW, and it would take 5 - 7 more days for A&S to receive then and ship them to me.

Not happy, and will not order from this company again.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 6:21 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
After some internal debate about buying parts from my local dealer vs. buying from an internet place, I split the list of parts that I needed and did both. My local dealer had everything I requested in stock. For the internet order I used A&S, primarily because of their nice microfiche of parts giving the BMW part number. I ordered $400.00 plus of parts on 2/9. I immediately got an email from A&S, thanking me for the order and telling me that all the parts are out of stock. Huh? Brake hoses out of stock? Crank case cover gasket out of stock? Shift lever ball pins and shift selector rods out of stock? This place does do repairs and maintenance on BMWs, yes? I immediately emailed back that I found it difficult to understand how every part I ordered was out of stock, and also that I needed more information - like how long it would take to order all the parts and ship them to me. That was on 2/9. I didn't expect an answer over the weekend. I didn't get one yesterday or today. I finally called the place, and someone in the parts dept. said, yes, all the parts were out of stock, they all had been ordered from BMW, and it would take 5 - 7 more days for A&S to receive then and ship them to me.

Hi Bill,

I'm sorry you're not getting the parts in a timely manner. I'll have my parts manager call you in a few minutes and see if we can't speed up the process.

Ted Hudson
Sales A&S BMW

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 6:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by was

Even BMW dealers do not always have all parts in stock. When shopping online you should expect some delay in getting certain items, but on the flip side you are able to fill up your shopping cart on your own and pay less, and in most cases the cost of shipping will be a lot less than your local sales tax so you win here too.
If you need parts urgently then by all means try the dealer, but then again there is no guarantee they will have everything in their inventory.

Personally I like the fact that I can look at the part fiche on line. It helps me visualize what I need to replace, with all the little parts and washers that need to come off. You don't get to do that at the dealer's, however a good part guy will point out all these idiosyncracies to you.

Maybe do some "balance" shopping, urgent stuff form the dealer, other stuff from an on-line vendor.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 6:55 pm

How does BMW parts work

So Ted,

What's the score on BMW parts.. I called for some cam followers today from my local dealer and he had to order those and an exhaust stud and nut as well

Seems like these parts one would keep in stock....

Aren't most dealers obligated to keep a good supply of maintenance parts on hand ? Or would BMW rather keep the parts in a central supply and dole them out on an as needed basis...

Or are they just keeping their " in stock " parts for those who have their bikes serviced at their shop and ordering parts for those who DIY.

Seems like this might be the case...

My local dealer did have the valve cover gasket in stock but not the buckets...

Just wondering

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 17 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 7:45 pm

Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhudson
Hi Bill,

I'm sorry you're not getting the parts in a timely manner. I'll have my parts manager call you in a few minutes and see if we can't speed up the process.

Ted Hudson
Sales A&S BMW
Now, it's hard to argue with this kind of service!

Now when are you going to drop the cost of the BMW NAV III Plus?

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #6 of 17 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 8:04 pm

Oline parts

Interesting dilema. In the UK I tend to use Motorworks - good service, keep all my bike details, knowledgeable staff and happy to give advice. My local dealer happy to provide test rides and a nice place to visit. Should I support my dealer more and buy more 'stuff' from them especially when the price differential is not that much - except when it is new v's secondhand? If the dealer knows that me and others will be looking for these parts are they more likely to keep them in stock? Will I moan when the dealer closes down because of lack of turnover?

If I shop online I expect certain things, if I make an effort to go to a shop I expect a different experience.

my 2p worth.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #7 of 17 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 8:07 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
So Ted,

What's the score on BMW parts.. I called for some cam followers today from my local dealer and he had to order those and an exhaust stud and nut as well

Seems like these parts one would keep in stock....

Aren't most dealers obligated to keep a good supply of maintenance parts on hand ? Or would BMW rather keep the parts in a central supply and dole them out on an as needed basis...

Or are they just keeping their " in stock " parts for those who have their bikes serviced at their shop and ordering parts for those who DIY.

Seems like this might be the case...

My local dealer did have the valve cover gasket in stock but not the buckets...

Just wondering

John
It's up to the dealer how much inventory he wants to carry. We have over 20,000 part numbers in our system. It's just not possible to stock them all. We stock as much as we can and the rest we can usually get with in 1-2 days if neccesary. A couple of the part numbers that Bill ordered we have not sold any of going back 8 years so those parts we obviously are not going to stock. We are working on getting him the right stuff ASAP....

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #8 of 17 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 8:39 pm

Just be glad that you don't live in my general area. Except for oil filters nearly everything else is ordered ----PITA.
I did some shopping at A&S last summer (did it in person - better than the internet - and it was a nice drive ) and found that they had everything that I wanted and went out of their way to be prompt and friendly.
The only other dealership that was equal to them (IMHO) is Bob's
post #9 of 17 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 9:16 pm

I rode to A&S last September from New Braunfels, TX to buy a tshirt. They gave it to me! Now, that's what I call service. A fine store and I kinda like the folk's working there.

Wouldn't a broken exhuast stud be VOR?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 17 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 9:17 am Thread Starter
was

Wow! Responsiveness with a capital R

Quote:
Hi Bill,

Ted Hudson
Sales A&S BMW
Hi Ted. I did not realize that someone on the forum had juice with A&S, or I would have sent you a PM. I was not home last night, but when I got home there was a message on my machine from Shannon with her office number. I'll call her later today when the Left Coast wakes up. I do appreciate your intervention and responsiveness, no matter what the outcome.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #11 of 17 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 9:19 am Thread Starter
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
Interesting dilema. In the UK I tend to use Motorworks - good service, keep all my bike details, knowledgeable staff and happy to give advice. My local dealer happy to provide test rides and a nice place to visit. Should I support my dealer more and buy more 'stuff' from them especially when the price differential is not that much - except when it is new v's secondhand? If the dealer knows that me and others will be looking for these parts are they more likely to keep them in stock? Will I moan when the dealer closes down because of lack of turnover?

If I shop online I expect certain things, if I make an effort to go to a shop I expect a different experience.

my 2p worth.
Graham, that's it exactly.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #12 of 17 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 11:24 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
Hi Ted. I did not realize that someone on the forum had juice with A&S, or I would have sent you a PM. I was not home last night, but when I got home there was a message on my machine from Shannon with her office number. I'll call her later today when the Left Coast wakes up. I do appreciate your intervention and responsiveness, no matter what the outcome.
Well I don't know how much juice I have, but I does what I can

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #13 of 17 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 3:02 pm Thread Starter
was

OK, I want to change the thread name to VERY Happy with A&S

Quote:
Well I don't know how much juice I have, but I does what I can
Well, Ted, whatever you did helped. I talked with Shannon a little while ago. She was very nice, helpful, and not at all defensive. It turns out, as I kind of knew had to be the case, that they did have much of my order in stock, but they wanted to get the other stuff from BMW to minimize shipping costs. Shannon spontaneously acknowledged that the email I got from A&S could be misleading, and said that they will change the email to get rid of that possibility. She also had the good news that all my stuff is in, and they will be shipping this afternoon. She offered to expedite ship it, but there is no need since I have lots of other things to do to the bike and won't need any of the parts immediately.

Upshot: I appreciate what Ted and Shannon did to make me feel better. I hope it's a good outcome for A&S. I WILL buy from this company again (especially since I can PM Ted or call Shannon if I have concerns!). Now if only I could change that darn thread heading to Very Happy with A&S.

Bill
Guilford, CT
post #14 of 17 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 4:14 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
Well, Ted, whatever you did helped. I talked with Shannon a little while ago. She was very nice, helpful, and not at all defensive. It turns out, as I kind of knew had to be the case, that they did have much of my order in stock, but they wanted to get the other stuff from BMW to minimize shipping costs. Shannon spontaneously acknowledged that the email I got from A&S could be misleading, and said that they will change the email to get rid of that possibility. She also had the good news that all my stuff is in, and they will be shipping this afternoon. She offered to expedite ship it, but there is no need since I have lots of other things to do to the bike and won't need any of the parts immediately.

Upshot: I appreciate what Ted and Shannon did to make me feel better. I hope it's a good outcome for A&S. I WILL buy from this company again (especially since I can PM Ted or call Shannon if I have concerns!). Now if only I could change that darn thread heading to Very Happy with A&S.
Thanks for the update Bill. I knew Shannon would be able to take care of you

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #15 of 17 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 2:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
Now if only I could change that darn thread heading to Very Happy with A&S.
You can always start another thread stating just that!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #16 of 17 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 4:30 pm

Sounds like the order was juiced.
post #17 of 17 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 11:10 am Thread Starter
was

Hey, many thanks to the moderator or whoever else was able to change the thread subject heading. Perfect edit, I appreciate it.

Bill
Guilford, CT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in