Chicago Area Dealer Poo Poo - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jun 27th, 2014, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

Chicago Area Dealer Poo Poo

200 miles ago, I had a Clutch replaced on my 03LT to the tune of over $1700.00. All the seals were also replaced. Ironically the first time I ever let anyone work on my bikes but I didn't have time to do it myself. After 200 miles, all the lights started flickering after 3500 rpm. After searching this site, I learned the Starter bolt could be loose. YEP! The dealer forgot to tighten the starter bolt. I brought it back to them and they apologized but took 1 week to tighten the bolt. The problem is, you must remove the trans to secure the starter bolt. They only snugged it up in order to save time and NOT remove the trans. It lasted 2 blocks and the bolt backed out! Here's the good part. I brought it right back and they had it for 3 weeks!!. I was sure they fixed it right but the genius in the service dept said I needed a $1300.00 alternator. I told him he was nuts and I picked the bike up. The starter bolt was still loose and I now had two new scratches on the bike! I personally took it apart, removed the fuel tank, made an allen wrench that would fit, tightened it up, added lock tight and Peened the bolt to the housing. Guess what? Its been perfect ever since! Thank you to BMWLT for your great Tech Forums!!!! As for Cycle Werks..... Thanks for the aggravation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jun 27th, 2014, 4:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Chicago Area Dealer Poo Poo

Just a cautionary note: adding Loctite or any other brand of thread locker on a ground lug or any other electrical connection is a bad idea. The nature of the way it works can cause the electrical connection to be lost. So if your lights start having problems again, it's likely caused by the Loctite. Found this out the hard way on my boat when I secured the mounting/grounding bolts of the rectifier with blue juice. Eventually it ungrounded itself and stopped working.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Jun 27th, 2014, 7:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Chicago Area Dealer Poo Poo

I kind of think most the dealerships are like that. ....Like you a lot of people work on there own bike for that reason.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in