34Likes
  • 9 Post By docedkin
  • 12 Post By jzeiler
  • 9 Post By dfinazzo
  • 4 Post By smahon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 16th, 2017, 1:30 pm Thread Starter

CCR's Final Donation

The 2017 CCR Board of Directors has completed all the work necessary to close the books on CCR Inc., a registered 501c3 organization. The reserve funds in the CCR accounts are being given to the BMW MOA Foundation, Camp GEARS, also a registered 501c3 charity. We have asked the MOA Foundation to invest the funds in such a way as to give the gift maximum impact, spreading out the donation for ten years or more. While we may have dissolved the corporate entity, the charitable impact of CCR will live on. This abridged excerpt is a description of the GEARS program from a 2009 RoadRunner article:

The BMW MOA Foundation, (is) the educational arm of the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America. Camp GEARS (Gaining Early Advance Riding Skills) is designed for young motorcyclists age 16-26, and is a two-day event held in conjunction with the BMW MOA’s International Rally. Camp GEARS gives young riders an opportunity to hang out with other riders from all over North America. Campers attend a variety of seminars discussing motorcycling, safer riding, touring, breakdowns, weather, routing, adventure touring and a great deal more. Campers will be able to participate in the Motorcycle Safety Foundation’s Experienced RiderCourse to sharpen their physical and mental riding skills, and attend a variety of social events.
But perhaps the best part of all, Camp GEARS is free with all costs covered by the MOA Foundation and related gifts. Campers travel to the MOA Rally at their own expense; those under 18 must obtain permission from a parent or guardian, and should be accompanied to the Rally by a responsible adult. Campers may arrive on any brand of motorcycle, or no motorcycle at all. Campers will tent-camp in the Camp GEARS area, and will be invited to remain for the full MOA Rally at no cost. Young motorcyclists who enjoy riding, touring, adventure, learning and fun: Registration information will shortly be available in the BMW MOA’s monthly publication, the ‘BMW Owners News. Anyone interested may contact BMW MOA Foundation online, www.bmwmoafoundation.org or www.bmwmoa.org.

Over our history, we have sought out charities that are fairly small and broadly impacted by our attention. . .more than $250,000 has been donated to organizations that do significant work for kids. To that end, Ted Moyer of the MOA made this comment: "You are changing the landscape for GEARS Training and the Foundation!" That is our tradition and just what we intended! As we close our books, we are proud to see our reserve funds used for this program: kids, rider development, motorcycle related education. . .nice.

Wayne 'Doc' Edkin, Blossvale, NY
CCR Director, (Chairman: 2014, 2015, 2017)
'16 R1200RLC, '09R1200GSw/'16 CSM Sidecar, '05 K1200LTw/'09 Hannigan Sidecar, '74 R60/6 { '99 K1200LT (traded @ 62K}.

2000 First LT Gathering at The Gondola. CCRs: 2003 Gatlinburg, 2004 Breckenridge, 2005 Jackson Hole, 2006 Braselton, 2007 Osage Beach, 2008 Midway, 2010 Killington, 2011 Boise, 2012 Duluth, 2013 Bend, 2014 Chattanooga, and finally 2015 Coeur d'Alene.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 16th, 2017, 1:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: CCR's Final Donation

Well done to the final CCR BOD! Went out in style.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #3 of 8 Old Jan 17th, 2017, 12:52 am
Super Moderator

Hats off - especially to the efforts of "Doc Edkin" and "Tom Gary" along with the other BOD members in achieving a great way to transform the collective efforts, energy and resources of the previous 17 year history of CCR.

I know many riders / owners now joining BMWLT as 2nd, 3rd and even 4th generation K1200LT owners may have not experienced CCR that was born around the millenia out of the BMWLT forum. But this reunion brought together in real life people and changed the lives of many who attended the reunion - as for me forging life long friendships, relationships and experiences. This is something you cannot get through "text" relationships on internet forums.
docedkin, Dick, radar41 and 6 others like this.

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 17th, 2017, 10:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo View Post
Hats off - especially to the efforts of "Doc Edkin" and "Tom Gary" along with the other BOD members in achieving a great way to transform the collective efforts, energy and resources of the previous 17 year history of CCR.

I know many riders / owners now joining BMWLT as 2nd, 3rd and even 4th generation K1200LT owners may have not experienced CCR that was born around the millenia out of the BMWLT forum. But this reunion brought together in real life people and changed the lives of many who attended the reunion - as for me forging life long friendships, relationships and experiences. This is something you cannot get through "text" relationships on internet forums. ..
I completely agree. In some ways Doc and Tom have done more work preparing to close our books than had we put on an event this year. Thank you to them. When I first posted on this forum, back in 2008, the very first response to me was welcoming and included an invitation: "You need to come to CCR". That invite was all I needed to investigate CCR and agree that it was something I wanted to be part of. I am so glad to have been part of something that not only made such a difference in my life (with life-long friendships and remarkable experiences) but also in the organizations we've helped along the way. The generosity of this group was truly amazing...and through our contribution to Camp GEARS...it continues...
docedkin, zippy_gg, JNW003 and 1 others like this.

'15 GTLE

post #5 of 8 Old Feb 9th, 2017, 10:26 am Thread Starter

The description of GEARS that I included in the original post was from a 2009 magazine review of the program. While the fundamental premise of GEARS is much the same as it was eight years ago, the program has grown and changed in some details. One MOAF director sent me these updates:

Hello Doc - I am a Director on the MOAF and want to thank you for the generous gift that will help maintain our training goals for a long time to come!

If you care to edit your explanation of the MOAF and GEARS I would like to update the information -
  • There is no more Camp in GEARS - for liability reasons. It is now GEARS. We encourage family camping but no longer have a specific campsite for GEARS.
  • Our program is for 13-17yo teens [we sometimes bend this by a year] - and again for liability issues with younger teens and older 'adults' not really a good mix.
  • Our current program does provide bikes for the participant, so no worries about bringing their own.

'16 R1200RLC, '09R1200GSw/'16 CSM Sidecar, '05 K1200LTw/'09 Hannigan Sidecar, '74 R60/6 { '99 K1200LT (traded @ 62K}.

2000 First LT Gathering at The Gondola. CCRs: 2003 Gatlinburg, 2004 Breckenridge, 2005 Jackson Hole, 2006 Braselton, 2007 Osage Beach, 2008 Midway, 2010 Killington, 2011 Boise, 2012 Duluth, 2013 Bend, 2014 Chattanooga, and finally 2015 Coeur d'Alene.

post #6 of 8 Old May 20th, 2017, 8:40 am Thread Starter

Anyone have some good CCR photos from days gone by? I wrote an article for the MOA about the end of CCR and Wes Fleming (MOA digital editor) would like some images to run with it. Here is a copy of a note I sent to a few shutter bugs I know but thought there may be many others with good stuff. So. . .if you'd look through your old files and pick out a few images to send the MOA, that would be great:
I sent him (Fleming) an article about the shut down and the gift to the Foundation. It was way too big and they are editing it to fit a single page for the July ON issue. However, they plan to post the whole thing on the web site and have requested CCR related photos, art work, logos, etc. that they can use. I may have some candids but don't really have much. So. . .if you get a chance, look at your old files and if you have anything that would work for this purpose send them along to Wes with a note that what you are sending him is for the CCR piece, reference me.
Wes Fleming
[email protected]

Type a message...

post #7 of 8 Old Jun 7th, 2017, 9:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

There is a ton of photos on the CCR facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Curve-Cowbo...8358064514980/

Plus there used to be a repository out there that Steve Rowe crated but I don't have a link to it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #8 of 8 Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 9:45 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Nice article in the MOA magazine DOC, well done tribute to CCR and a boost to GEARS.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in