• 1 Post By CaptJDavis
  • 1 Post By JNW003
  • 3 Post By Lynn_Keen
  • 5 Post By norton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old May 1st, 2016, 6:29 pm Thread Starter
King of the Castle

An important announcement regarding CCR 2016

It is with great sadness that I have to make the announcement that CCR 2016 in Monterey has been cancelled. This decision was made by the board after much agonizing discussion, as we all have much invested in the organization. Despite herculean marketing efforts including a hangtag program in many dealerships around the country and a new CCR ambassador program we only had one new participant and very few overall attendees. We were up against a deadline to meet some metrics set by the hotel and we also just didn't feel like we could put on an event worthy of the CCR name with so few participants. It was the board consensus that this is due to a combination of factors including cost, location , and simply put, the LT doesn't exist anymore and we've maybe done a poor job trying to rebrand ourselves. All registrants will be receiving a refund check to be mailed in the first two weeks of May. With the check will be a letter from me including the information being posted here. Unfortunately, with no event it is unlikely the hotel will honor the rates if one wanted to travel to Monterey on their own.

It is important to remember this doesn't mean the end to CCR just a cancellation of this years event. The board will reconvene in June to elect new officers and have lively discussion about CCR's future. Please email me or post on the forum if you have suggestions or ideas and if you want to be involved please speak up. Its been a pleasure meeting all of you and I look forward to seeing you on the road.

Respectfully yours,

R.Bruce White M.D.
Charman Curve Cowboy Reunion

Bruce

2012 Kawasaki Concours
2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive
2006 Harley Road Glide

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old May 1st, 2016, 9:58 pm

Unhappy Re: An important announcement regarding CCR 2016

It feels like Christmas just go cancelled...
Bruce_Yates, EricSuz and JNW003 like this.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old May 1st, 2016, 10:39 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: An important announcement regarding CCR 2016

Bummer.

That can't have been an easy decision. I know how hard y'all have worked on this, for so many years.

Many of us have enjoyed seeing old friends and exploring new parts of the country, but have a hard time swinging the time off of work to make this happen. Dayle and I were looking at going to CCR this year, but with the new job it's harder to plan for time away that far out. It would've had to have been a last-minute decision for us, but I know that y'all can't plan and move forward without enough firm commitments to make it worthwhile.

Let's hope that we can move forward next year, or maybe even split CCR into several smaller gatherings located around the country. I know that there are already some established weekend-away rides already happening around the country that were born out of the friendship and camaraderie of this group. Leaner just might be the way to move forward here.

Thanks so much for all y'all have done for the group, and especially for all the good you've done for local charites along the way.

I'm gonna take this as a temporary hiatus and regrouping, rather than an ending . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 30 Old May 2nd, 2016, 5:40 am

Very sad indeed. I really wanted to go to this destination and I already booked my room. Event or not, if the hotel will honor my existing reservation, I'm still going.

'15 GTLE

post #5 of 30 Old May 2nd, 2016, 6:04 am

I am sad to hear this set back for CCR this year. I do believe it is only a set back because I have spoken to many folks that attended in the past who would not be able to go this year but do plan to go again.
I would like to express my appreciation to the board members and all the others who have made CCR possible. I know that they have dedicated a lot of time and effort to make it happen.
There is a smaller group from CCR that meets twice a year at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge in North Carolina for Spring Training Camp and Smoky Mountain Fall Reunion. These are great "regional" gatherings but I hope we will continue to have CCR so our group from all across the country and abroad can get together once a year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
DEKESBMWTOY, pkpr1998 and mwnahas like this.

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT

Last edited by alstrickland55; May 2nd, 2016 at 6:04 am. Reason: Hi
post #6 of 30 Old May 2nd, 2016, 7:04 am

Most of the initial members of CCR and those who kept it going are probably the reason why I so thoroughly enjoyed my LT and they gave me the knowledge and education to get so much out of her. They were on the bleeding edge in the beginning and a debt of thanks is definitely due. I never got to attend, but I think that anyone owning an LT benefited.

Thanks for all that you did to make my ride so much better and lead me to my GTL. Like a lot of thinks in life, change is the only constant and I'm sure that what comes next with be supported....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 30 Old May 2nd, 2016, 7:35 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Sorry to hear this. Even though Sammie & I would not have gone this year we still hold out hope that CCR will not go away. My thought is to forget about the charities and all the other non motorcycle related things from the past & focus only on the place and the riding it may offer. As stated by Ken there are already smaller spin off groups of friends who originally connected at CCR that get together a few times a year in different parts of the USA.
John Z & David Taylor both have done a great jobs putting together smaller get togethers on each coast that only focus on the people & the riding around the place it is held. In fact this year there were as many new people from the K1600forum show up at Spring Training Camp as there were BMWLT members. The two groups mixed together great & all had a grand time.

For CCR to go forward it will need to change drastically. Forget about raising money, forget about the fancy hotel and just concentrate on the people and a great place to ride. When Sammie & I first started going to CCR in 2007 it was for the people & the ride but over the years like a lot of CCR attendees we got away from that and migrated to all the other things like the silent auction and who can pay the most for a piece of half eaten cake. I too was caught up it all the other things. This is one of the main reasons we stopped going to CCR. We don't need 20 seminars to go to or 15 vendors selling cook wear or greeting cards. We don't need any big expensive banquets, everyone can pay as we go. We need a place that makes us excited to go because the riding is great and the other people are like minded as we are.

If need be then close the 501C charity part of CCR.
Close the bank account.
Turn off the lights at CCR headquarters.
Forget about everything else but Keep the name.
The Curve Cowboy Reunion like The Spring Training Camp & Cambria Ride 20?? are all part of the BMWLT community born & grown out of the love of the bikes we ride & the friends we've made over the last 16 plus years. (Damn!! has it been that long?)

If the location can only hold 75 people then so be it. If you wait to sign up & rooms sell out then sorry for you, try again next year.

Here are the steps that the CCR BOD should focus on.
1) Find us a great place to ride.
2) find us a place to sleep and gather to tell lies.
3) if no restaurant is at the hotel find a few places to eat.
4) put together some routes for people to use to get around.
5) invite everyone from BMWLT & K1600Forum.
6) set back and enjoy the rest of the time before you leave for the
"New Improved Curve Cowboy Reunion"

For those of you who went to or remember the very first CCR in Broken Box Ok. What made it great? What made you want to do it again the next year? This is what needs to happen to keep CCR alive.

This is only my opinion from going to 8 CCR's in a row, seeing how it had changed (not for the good to my) over the years.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 30 Old May 2nd, 2016, 10:32 am

Well this is a bummer, as i posted before, we look forward to CCR, and trust that something good will happen for future years, thanks to all those who work hard on this event every year.

As far as this year, I was able to change our Amtrak trip to the following week, make a few motel changes, and we will still enjoy our trip to California, Napa, the Bay area, and we know we'll enjoy our time in San Antonio on our way home, no long bike trip this year, no CCR, but we are looking forward to another adventure in travel. Life is to short to fret over the little things.

Ride safe my friends, and enjoy the trip.

Larry

PS will somebody remind me how to change my map that shows up.

02 K1200LT Hannigan

post #9 of 30 Old May 2nd, 2016, 1:17 pm

I feel disheartened over the news. Though I hadn't registered for this one, I certainly hadn't ruled it out. I'm still pretty new on the LT circuit and have only witnessed the CDA, Idaho CCR, but it's been a comfort knowing that the LT "herd" has been there as an annual gathering.
I had hoped that the CCR would continue to be an option in the future. Let us hope that it will continue on if possible.
Bob
BennyBob and katnapinn like this.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #10 of 30 Old May 2nd, 2016, 8:23 pm

Makes me sad, that we couldn't go way out west again and CCR was canceled. Hopefully it will be reborn. In the mean time on the K1600 sister site, nothing about CCR. I think that's half the problem.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #11 of 30 Old May 3rd, 2016, 12:12 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Several of us have tried to promote CCR on the K1600 site and other Beemer sites, with little success. It just doesn't seem to sink in to those riders, and it's kinda hard to explain overall in a manner that makes it appealing to a newcomer with limited vacation time and funds.

CCR was originally a small gathering of like-minded friends when the flagship K12LT was the newest and shiniest. And I think the personalities had a lot to do with the overall draw, regardless of location.

It grew into more people, larger sites, more luxury, and a whole host of extra activities, but was always still based around great riding areas. It became the Luxury Rally, with top-notch facilities and high-end activities that matched the Luxurious LT. Still, kudos to the CCR Board for getting us into some great locations at relatively affordable prices.

These days, the LT is "obsolete." It's still righfully beloved by many owners, but it's no longer the new and shiny flagship. Current LT owners are just as passionate, but by definition they're riding "used" bikes that have been around for a while. The LT demographic has changed, with the focus more on maintenance and rideability, and the number of LT owners has dropped, as has overall participation on this board.

Some LT riders have moved to the K16, or to the water-cooled RT & GS models. Generally speaking, those riders seem to be more about the riding rather than the whole Luxury aspect.

If CCR is to continue on, it needs to focus more on the riding aspects, and less on the Luxury Vacation model as in years past. Maybe that means several smaller regional gatherings throughout the summer, or maybe it means just stepping back and letting the existing regional groups take up the mantle of camaraderie.

Even the Iron Butt Association is having similar participation pains. They still get lots of newer riders doing their first SS1000, but that can be done at the rider's timing and pace with little advanced coordination. The IBA was holding larger National Meets on off-IBR years, similar to CCR (expect with a focus on remaining profitable overall). Upscale centrally-located hotel, lots of seminars, tech sessions, and activities, interesting and informative guest speakers, and great local riding (including the chance to get instant verification on SaddleSore rides). I've been to several of those and enjoyed each one.

But the IBA has also put their National Meet on hiatus, due to rising hotel costs and declining participation, leading to declining revenue. Many riders claim the same as we're hearing: limited vacation time and funds even if the concept remains appealing. The IBA is now exploring holding several smaller Regional Meets, to keep costs and travel times down and encourage more participation, with some limited success.

But it still remains to be seen if that will be a viable way forward for them . . .
pkpr1998 likes this.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 30 Old May 3rd, 2016, 5:03 am

It might even be the "Baby Boomer Syndrome."

I've had this discussion with others and it's the same with SCUBA and skydiving. The largest segment of the population, at the time, has moved through time with notables like Mike Nelson, Ripcord and Easy Rider and with their buying power, driven industries. That demographics was/is powerful. I was born in 1951 and starting riding at 16, SCUBA diving at 14 and waited while to jump out of an airplane. At the age of 65, I have slowed down a little and my interests have changed.

The "industries" of SCUBA, skydiving and motorcycles and how they are used and approached is changing. The Millennial Generation are becoming the new largest segment of the population and they will do to business and recreation what the Boomers did.

When the LT came out, there were issues that the dealers were not addressing and a few very smart and focused individuals led the rest of us into fixing, adjusting and getting the most out of the LT. That, to a degree, led to the CCR, but many have moved on and the same problems did not plague the GTL. There was not a common enemy !

Anyway, it's off to the fish tank on my motorcycle for some SCUBA..... My life is not virtual.....
Patric, BennyBob and johnbaker15 like this.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 30 Old May 3rd, 2016, 6:01 am

With no CCR this year, is anyone interested in making the Smoky Mountain Fall Reunion a week long event? It's probably still early enough that we can get cabins / bunkhouse / campsites at Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge.

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #14 of 30 Old May 3rd, 2016, 6:47 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrickland55 View Post
With no CCR this year, is anyone interested in making the Smoky Mountain Fall Reunion a week long event? It's probably still early enough that we can get cabins / bunkhouse / campsites at Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge.

I would be in favor of that. Sammie & I are planning a week in that area already.

Stevie Shreeve
post #15 of 30 Old May 3rd, 2016, 7:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
I would be in favor of that. Sammie & I are planning a week in that area already.
Can we make it a little earlier so riders from the north can join? Say late September? Or add a summer sizzle event with the CCR dates?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #16 of 30 Old May 3rd, 2016, 1:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas View Post
Can we make it a little earlier so riders from the north can join? Say late September? Or add a summer sizzle event with the CCR dates?
A lot of us already have reservations at Iron Horse for October this year but I think moving it to an earlier date is something we could discuss before next year.

We have high jacked this thread so we need to continue this discussion in a new thread. I will start one called SMFR 2016 under Rides, Rallies, and Get-togethers.

mwnahas and katnapinn like this.

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT

Last edited by alstrickland55; May 3rd, 2016 at 1:19 pm.
post #17 of 30 Old May 3rd, 2016, 1:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrickland55 View Post

Quite a haul for us (says the left coast guy...)
What kind of accommodations?
How large of a gathering?
There is interest here.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #18 of 30 Old May 3rd, 2016, 1:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg View Post
Quite a haul for us (says the left coast guy...)
What kind of accommodations?
How large of a gathering?
There is interest here.
John Zeiler is in charge of organizing the STC and SMFR. John will you provide everyone with a explanation of what they are in the SMFR 2016 thread I started under Rides, Rallies, and Get-togethers ?

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #19 of 30 Old May 4th, 2016, 4:21 pm

Later this spring, once all 2016 business has been completed and the dust settles, a BoD Skype meeting will be convened. The main item of business will be the election of officers for 2017. We will be looking within the current BoD for officers and committee heads. In addition, depending on the reaction we get on the LT forum, we may find individuals outside of the BoD interested in assuming CCR leadership responsibility. Immediately after they are elected, the new leadership team will be empowered to begin work on 2017 options . If there are insufficient candidates for a new team, the fate of CCR may be sealed at which time we will begin discussion about how the reserve funds will be handled.

All current members of the BoD and other interested parties should give careful consideration to their part in the organization going forward and we should consider others who might join the leadership team. Board of Director members are proposed by the chairman and are elected by the BoD for three years terms. Persons who want to be an officer must be nominated and will be elected by the BoD for a one year term of office. Anyone interested is becoming a BoD member and/or an officer should contact Bruce White, 2016 CCR Chairman. Officers include:
  • Chairman
  • Vice Chairman
  • Secretary
  • Treasurer
The chairman appoints committee heads as needed and depending on the program/structure of the next event. Examples might include some or all of the following:
  1. Web coordinator
  2. Merchandise chair
  3. PR and outreach chair
  4. Seminar coordinator
  5. Entertainment chair
  6. Chair of special or optional events
  7. Tech master
  8. Dealer services
  9. Vendor chair
  10. Charity selection
  11. Fundraising efforts/silent auction
  12. Site coordinator
  13. Others. . .
Committee heads need not be members of the Board of Directors. Ideally, however, every BoD member heads up one or more committees and would be expected to report to the full BoD on a regular basis.

Wayne 'Doc' Edkin, Blossvale, NY
CCR Director, (Chairman: 2014, 2015, 2017)
'16 R1200RLC, '09R1200GSw/'16 CSM Sidecar, '05 K1200LTw/'09 Hannigan Sidecar, '74 R60/6 { '99 K1200LT (traded @ 62K}.

2000 First LT Gathering at The Gondola. CCRs: 2003 Gatlinburg, 2004 Breckenridge, 2005 Jackson Hole, 2006 Braselton, 2007 Osage Beach, 2008 Midway, 2010 Killington, 2011 Boise, 2012 Duluth, 2013 Bend, 2014 Chattanooga, and finally 2015 Coeur d'Alene.

post #20 of 30 Old May 13th, 2016, 1:58 am
Just ridin'

I am very sad to read this, albeit not totally surprised. As one who was dedicated to developing the unique format of the nations first and only "Luxury Touring" gathering from the beginning and who spent the better part of 13 years devoted to its success. We crossed some mighty hurdles as the organization was in its infancy. I am sorry to see our child struggling. Hopefully there will be sufficient interest in the new board to try to bring together an event for 2017.

I am certain that interest in the next reunion will increase if the Reunion can get back to the fundamentals that made it great. The reunion is about community, friendship and sharing. We were adamant from the beginning that it was not about the machine, it is all about the people. It is not abut the LT, or even BMW, it was about the uniqueness of this community where we were brought together by our passion for riding long and often. It was about the unique camaraderie we developed within this virtual community and fostering virtual friendships to becoming actual friendships in real life.

It was always about value, getting real bang for your hard earned dollars. Charity is a natural offshoot of the very giving personalities that provided the foundation for the Reunion, but it was not even in the top three elements of the mission as we saw it.

There were some really special venues over my term on the board. Believe it or not some of my favorites were some that I had chairman's responsibilities for. I just loved Gatlinburg and Grand Tetons - Rapid City and Santa Fe were very close seconds. Those locations had some of the most beautiful riding and Jackson Lake not withstanding, they offered very good value. While Jackson Lake was a little more expensive,it was home base to Yellowstone, one of the greatest national parks in this country. CCR was the first and only motorcycle "rally" to be invited to a national park. They may regret inviting us after issuing a handful of stratospheric federal speeding tickets. Joking aside, they were very pleased with the generally great courtesy, friendliness and maturity of our members.

That was the number two goal of the organization - being good ambassadors for the motorcycling community. It is amazing to recall the compliments that were heaped on our group by each and every venue during the first ten years. Those venues tried desperately to get us to plan on coming back and I would like to go back to any of them

It is my sincerest belief that CCR can thrive by adhering to just a handful of priorities.
  • Find a location that provides a good value, not just in the rooms, but in food and other elements.
  • Consider revisiting one of the prior venues, making it a real reunion.
  • Find a venue that has natural beauty for stellar riding and is reasonably removed from big city traffic
  • Provide a program that mixes the attendees, providing opportunities for members to make new friends and rekindle old relationships. Gatlinburg gave us three solid opportunities to create great mixers.
  • Lower the priority of charity and entertainment and elevate the priority of getting friends together
  • Uncomplicate the program and make every effort to provide a fundamental structure that encourages members to get together for impromptu rides, meals or other excuses to get together with friends - old and new
  • "It's the bike that brought us together, but it's the people who keep us together" & "Just Ride It!". Those are not merely slogans, they are at the very heart of the genesis of Curve Cowboy Reunion.

I still look forward to getting back to a reunion.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

Last edited by Randy; May 13th, 2016 at 9:39 am.
post #21 of 30 Old May 13th, 2016, 1:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
[*]"It's the bike that brought us together, but it's the people who keep us together" & "Just Ride It!". Those are not merely slogans, they are at the very heart of the genesis of Curve Cowboy Reunion.[/list]
One more slogan that stuck with us was "That's what we do!"
It still applies today.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #22 of 30 Old May 13th, 2016, 10:54 pm

Well Put Randy.
I'll add just one thing as I have noticed over the last few years that the powers that be have put an emphasis on recruiting new attendees. As an organization that was really built from the bottom up by independent Motorcyclists, advertising for new attendees to an event such as ours will not work. This last year offering new attendees a discounted rate while marking long time attendees pay full price was just insulting.
You build attendance and bring new attendees in by having the long term core members invite their riding friends. Word of mouth from those that love the event, is how it was built and how it can survive. We don;t have to be the largest, just great friends getting together from all over the country.
jeffklt, zippy_gg, EricSuz and 1 others like this.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #23 of 30 Old May 14th, 2016, 11:00 am

The BoD sure did not intend to insult any veteran attendees. The PR effort was designed to find some new folks with the same passions and interests we have all shared. Over the last couple of years, veteran attendees have not been bringing in many new people and have reported little success recruiting new riders to CCR. With the LT out of production and an affluent K1600 and R1200RT crowd growing, the BoD has envisioned that the future of CCR rests with them. But. . .the registration discount offered to first time attendees, advertisements in the MOA/RA mags/forums, the hangtag program, the creations of an Ambassador program, appeals on all the model specific forums, and a general appeal to our base netted no discernible response. Ray Weber, our current VC, got a list of everyone who ever came to a CCR and he started sending out emails and making calls. Nada. When CCR 2016 was cancelled by the Board of Directors, we had 1 first timer registered and none of the folks who had attended a CCR, but not for a while, committed to re-up. So. . .the outreach program was, in fact, a failure. The next item of business for the BoD is to formulate a new leadership group and begin planning for 2017 and beyond. Anyone with ideas or passion for CCR is invited to participate. Post up here or send a PM to Bruce White, the current CCR Chairman. If you are critical of the job the current BoD has done or are invested in CCR enough to feel policy decisions are insulting, then step up and assume a role. The current group is out of ideas and needs new juice.
icepick, mwnahas and BadRay like this.

Wayne 'Doc' Edkin, Blossvale, NY
CCR Director, (Chairman: 2014, 2015, 2017)
'16 R1200RLC, '09R1200GSw/'16 CSM Sidecar, '05 K1200LTw/'09 Hannigan Sidecar, '74 R60/6 { '99 K1200LT (traded @ 62K}.

2000 First LT Gathering at The Gondola. CCRs: 2003 Gatlinburg, 2004 Breckenridge, 2005 Jackson Hole, 2006 Braselton, 2007 Osage Beach, 2008 Midway, 2010 Killington, 2011 Boise, 2012 Duluth, 2013 Bend, 2014 Chattanooga, and finally 2015 Coeur d'Alene.

post #24 of 30 Old May 14th, 2016, 11:52 am

Cool Re: An important announcement regarding CCR 2016

Good summary Doc - there have been many efforts and approaches to increase attendance and interest in the CCR format. As stated, the many emails I sent out were to existing / past attendees. Interest or even a response via email was very minimal, so gaining registration numbers from past attendees was explored. As stated, we are open to each and everyone to get involved, head up a committee, be a part of what CCR was and will be and make noise to spread the word. CCR needs the voice of the members and each one is encouraged join in and build on the foundation.

Ray Weber
post #25 of 30 Old May 17th, 2016, 11:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
snipped .....

I hope you are able to do so, Randy.
Bruce_Yates and pkpr1998 like this.

EXCELSIOR !!!

----- Barrett
Free at last!

Austin & Crystal Beach TX, Drummond, WI

CCRs - Hot Springs '01, Santa Fe '02, Breckenridge '04, Jackson '05, Braselton '06, Osage Beach '07, Midway '08, Black Hills '09, Killington '10, Boise '11, Duluth '12, Bend '13, Chattanooga in '14, and Coeur d'Alene in 2015.
post #26 of 30 Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 8:14 pm

Even though I was excited for 2016 CCR since this was going to be my very first CCR, I was not happy when I heard that it will be in Monterey, CA...

Although I live only 30 minutes away and work 15 minutes away from Monterey, CA and go there on a daily basis, I knew how terrible location it is going to be for a rather large gathering like CCR...

I don't know who and how Monterey, CA was decided in the first place but if I were in that committee who were considering various locations for 2016 CCR, I could immediately tell that it'll be a horrific choice...

Don't get me wrong, as a location it's a great choice filled with great scenic bike routes. Probably one of the top 3 bike routes in the USA...

With one exception; NOT in August 30th thru September 3rd !!!

I am a local one single rider and even I avoid going Monterey in those times...
During those dates, daytime it is hard to find a parking spot even for one single bike, forget about 1000 bikes!

I wrote a detailed post in some thread over here regarding to this.

Also traffic in many of the roads around Monterey, CA are single lane each direction and backs up for miles and miles with thousands of cars.
It's a tourist hot spot.
Trust me you may be sad for cancellation of CCR2016 but BE HAPPY for able to AVOID MONTEREY at those dates for a disastrous CCR experience!

My only and best advice to those board members who are planning CCR in 2017, before voting for a location please consider talking to local riders in the area to get a feeling of the conditions during the intended CCR dates.

Hope to see you all in CCR 2017 ! Wherever it may be...
pkpr1998 likes this.

Capt.Jim
2018 R1200 GSA
--------------------------
'18 R1200RT
'18 K1600GTL
'16 R1200GSA
'14 R1200RT
'12 K1600GTL
'06 R1200GS
'03 R1150RT-P
'07 K1200LT
'05 R1150RT-P
'99 HONDA Valkyrie
'06 R1150RT-P
'05 K1200LT
'05 HONDA Goldwing GL1800
'99 HONDA Valkyrie Interstate
'98 HONDA SHADOW
'98 YAMAHA Super Tenere
'93 HONDA CBR 1000F
'91 HONDA Transalp
'88 JAWA 500
post #27 of 30 Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 10:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

For those interested, I just got my copy of the ON magazine which includes a writeup on page 40 of an MOA Getaway in Monterey on August 26-28 at the Monterey Tides, a beachfront hotel just minutes from Old Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row. Room rates are $189 per nigh, using Group Reservation Code "BMW-MOA".
CaptJDavis likes this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #28 of 30 Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 9:13 am

Although I was not planning to attend I have been following the discussion concerning the cancellation of CCR 2016. For what it's worth, I finally decided to add my 2. I have been a member since I purchased my 1st LT back in 1999 when the Forum started out as a Yahoo Group. The emphasis in those early days was almost exclusively about working through some of the early problems with the new model bike as well as adding farkles to enhance the enjoyment and utility of the LT. It of course grew from that to a community of like mined individuals many of whom have become life time friends. The advent of CCR added a whole new dimension to the group as it afforded the opportunity for us to meet our "virtual" friends in person. My wife and I have only been able to attend 3 CCR events over the years and I would certainly like to participate in a few more however there have been changes in my life that make that difficult. Unfortunately I know that I'm not alone having to deal with and accept these changes and I know that they are issues that face a significant percentage of the entire motorcycling community. Specifically they include the fact that back in 1999 I was a relatively young 59 years old, in a couple of months I will be 76 and although I still ride regularly I'm not sure I have the endurance to take on extended cross country trips on 2 wheels. Secondly, a few years ago my wife, who rode with me every where I went, encountered some health issues that prevent her from continuing to ride motorcycles. As a result I'm somewhat reluctant to take off for long periods and leave her sit at home alone. So, my point is that the average age of the folks that initiated and continue to make this group the success that it is, like every other motorcycle group that I participate in, is rapidly advancing. There certainly is a welcome group of younger folks that have joined the group who share the same passion and enthusiasm as those of us that have been around for awhile. However, I believe that, at least to some degree, the apparent reduced interest in CCR may very well be that fact that I am not alone in dealing with some personal issues that preclude my participation.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #29 of 30 Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 10:17 am

Disclaimer: I have never been to a CCR event and am only providing some thoughts in an effort to help. So if I say anything that offends, I apologize in advance.

The toughest challenges I see that CCR has to address to entice people to come are as follows:

1. With all the personal and work commitments tugging at people and the limited time and funds people have to try and address all of them makes prioritizing, what to do this year, a daunting task. As much as I want to attend a CCR it unfortunately falls lower on the priority list for such things as family vacations, family events (weddings, funerals, births, etc.), work schedules and budget constraints.
2. Location: It is 3000 miles to Monterey for me, but somewhere in the middle would be half that distance, easier for everyone to get to, maybe the event should be similar to Americade, held at the same place, every year. Maybe as someone suggested to have multiple smaller regional CCR's per year. Also maybe have the big CCR event every other year.
3. Also venue locations should not be in touristy hot spots but should be semi-rural locations that promote minimal congestion, maximum relaxation, great riding, fantastic scenery and good value. A place to kick back after a scenic ride and talk motorcycles with friends. I do not need a five star hotel to enjoy a vacation.
4. As the LT bikes gets older as well as the owners, the number of CCR interested riders will get smaller. It will be necessary to attract all types of motorcyclists with an event that puts less emphasis on BMW and more on motorcycle touring camaraderie.
5. The reality is that there are so many events now competing for riders time and money that if you do not have a hook for your event and somehow standout as more attractive it is hard to draw attendees. So that needs to be addressed.

Obviously putting on an national event of this complexity is very involved and faces lots of challenges. I applaud the many BOD members for making those past events happen and in a very successful way. Its impossible to get every aspect right but you do the best you can. I hope that the new BOD can pump some life back into CCR. I also would encourage the forum members to voice their suggestions whether you will ever attend or not as multiple heads are better to generate innovative solutions.

Good Luck with CCR 2017

Scott
2007 LT
post #30 of 30 Old Jul 15th, 2016, 5:35 pm

I'm a little late to this thread, as I've been far less active on the site since my crash last year. (See http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/bike-tal...-my-crash.html for more on that.)

Although I wasn't at the original CCR, I've been to many, and I know a lot of the folks who go all the way back to the early ones. Just reading this thread's comments by old friends has been nostalgic for me...

I, too, was very sad to hear that CCR 2016 was cancelled, even though I wasn't going to be in Monterey (the GTL was totaled in the crash). I can readily picture the faces of dozens and dozens of CCR attendees from years gone by, people I will always consider friends even if I never see them in person again. Like others here, I really hope CCR continues...in one form or another (smaller regional gatherings, etc.).

There are many groups that foster friendship, comradery, etc., and I don't claim that CCR is/was "the best" at it. But its special combination - shared interests, a couples emphasis, and dozens of volunteers working together to run the event and raise money for charity - brought people closer than any other bike-related events I've been to.

I think Randy's comments are right on point, and I hope he (and maybe even Cheri and I) can attend another CCR down the road.

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in