A rivets tale - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 27th, 2014, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

Red face A rivets tale

Gotta love them German engineers. Last fall I decided it was way cheaper to get various and sundry parts on my bought-new '99 LT repainted rather than laying down 25 large for a new GTL. Both side saddle covers and the top trunk needed attention. To remove them I drilled out the rivets holding two pair of hinges in place on all three parts. After collecting up the now like-new pieces I grabbed my pop-rivet gun and kit of miscellaneous size rivets. Each of the six hinges require eight rivets, four per side, and each of the hinges are the same size. To minimize strain on the plastic covers, metal shims are used on both sides of the hinges. Rivets pass through the shims. The side saddle hinges popped on easy peasy. Reaching for the same size rivets, expecting them to fit the same hinges on the top trunk stopped me cold. They were too thin! I tried every size I had in my kit and nothing fit. So out comes my micrometer, and off I go to my local hardware store. Nope. Also nope at Loews and Home Depot. Finally I found them online where I had to special order a minimum of 100, with a price nearly doubled by shipping costs. The only explanation I can come up with is that the loveable BMW engineer who designed the side saddle never met the engineer who did the top trunk. Nice.

Charlie
99 K1200LT
85 R80RT
81 R100RS (Sold it 4/10)
03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 28th, 2014, 2:29 am

Garage
Re: A rivets tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCharlie
The only explanation I can come up with is that the loveable BMW engineer who designed the side saddle never met the engineer who did the top trunk. Nice.
I'd believe that! What with the broken latch, flimsy interior mirror hinge supports, cracking plastic parts, hidden wire pathways and now the broken and cracked main supports - I don't think the top trunk was even made by the same company....

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 28th, 2014, 3:08 am
Enjoy The Ride

Are the rivets metric size ?.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 28th, 2014, 10:10 am

The engineer who designed the top case was found drunk on the job, so they fired him. Unfortunately, they kept his design.

- Joe
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 28th, 2014, 12:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
I'd believe that! What with the broken latch, flimsy interior mirror hinge supports, cracking plastic parts, hidden wire pathways and now the broken and cracked main supports - I don't think the top trunk was even made by the same company....
There's more. Years ago I purchased the BMW (plastic) chrome luggage rack that was introduced in 2000, and not offered on my '99. The rack has a built-in brake light, similar to the high-mounted central light on most cars. Looking for the wiring connector for that harness I wound up disassembling the interior of the top case, figuring that it would be close to the mirror light harness since it's right there. Nope. I figured BMW must have added the brake light harness for the 2000 model, so I trimmed off the harness from the rack, and shoved the remaining tail into the rack itself. When I disassembled the trunk lid for repainting, I pulled off the rear speakers. Damn if there wasn't a little wire connector just waiting for me to plug in that brake light harness. Like I said, ya gotta love them German engineers!

Charlie
99 K1200LT
85 R80RT
81 R100RS (Sold it 4/10)
03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in