Heading west this summer!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 18th, 2014, 8:29 am Thread Starter

Heading west this summer!!

If you had two weeks to spend riding out west, where would you go??

It isn't enough time to see all you want to see, so you have to pick and choose.

Would you head up north to Glacier and going to the sun road? Would you focus more on Colorado and the 4 corners? What about Yellowstone? (I've been there by car with the family).

The badlands, needles hwy, devils tower, and all the great riding in SD.

All the choices!!

Which way do we go?? Which way do we go????

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 18th, 2014, 9:44 am

Re: Heading west this summer!!

Consider purchasing sfarson's The Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado. I got mine at www.whitehorsepress.com http://www.whitehorsegear.com/the-co...rides-and-tips

Steve is a member on this board.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #3 of 10 Old Feb 18th, 2014, 9:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

What time of the year? The Southwest and Texas can be amazing, but not in July. Ditto Death Valley. CO and UT can't be beat. Consider a Nat'l Park loop, something like Rocky Mtn., Black Canyon of the Gunnison, in CO; and Capitol Reef, Bryce, Cedar Breaks, Zion in UT; and North Rim of Grand Canyon, Monument Valley in northern AZ.

Motor On ,/'

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 18th, 2014, 9:57 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1 View Post
What time of the year? The Southwest and Texas can be amazing, but not in July. Ditto Death Valley. CO and UT can't be beat. Consider a Nat'l Park loop, something like Rocky Mtn., Black Canyon of the Gunnison, in CO; and Capitol Reef, Bryce, Cedar Breaks, Zion in UT; and North Rim of Grand Canyon, Monument Valley in northern AZ.

We will be heading out the first week in August

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #5 of 10 Old Feb 18th, 2014, 9:57 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
Consider purchasing sfarson's The Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado. I got mine at www.whitehorsepress.com http://www.whitehorsegear.com/the-co...rides-and-tips

Steve is a member on this board.

Thanks Scott!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #6 of 10 Old Feb 18th, 2014, 11:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey View Post
We will be heading out the first week in August
I'd plan a northern route by that time of year. When I went through Death Valley in mid June it was very hot.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #7 of 10 Old Feb 26th, 2014, 11:36 pm

Garage

David I used a couple days shy of 3 weeks west last summer
I was trying for some of the N Parks and a few other spots. I fulfilled most of them but for Beartooth pass and the Giant Sequoias. At the same time I managed a few that I had not planned on. So overall it was a success. If you had not checked out my thread "OK I' back". I want to pick up Glacier N in MT and add ND but first hope to head east whenever this weather breaks. Oh yeah made it through Monument Valley but was greeted by a dust storm no pictures.
ride safe
post #8 of 10 Old Feb 27th, 2014, 1:29 am

If your time is limited-
Cody to red lodge over beartooth pass never fails to blow my mind. (go over bighorn mtns to get there)
Colorado Durango to Ouray is Top 5. (A good, lonely twisty road to get there from the north is Green River WY through Flaming gorge to Vernal, UT) Rockymtn park great, though not compared to bear tooth.
Glacier is beautiful, ride not so much.
Badlands was a disappointment. (maybe expected too much?)
That's my opinion.

post #9 of 10 Old Feb 27th, 2014, 6:37 am

Rode Montana Wyoming South Dakota three years ago June. Great ride lot's to see including bear tooth pass, Yellowstone park, Jackson hole and the Titon mountains, back across Wyoming through foothills, river canyons, badlands, and into the Black Hills as we entered South Dakota. Wyoming is a Greta state for riding so much variety of scenery and roads. In South Dakota we did crazy horse, Rushmore, needles highway, deadwood city, sturgis etc. before arse burning our way back to Ontario and home just north of Toronto. 5000 miles in 12 days. Great ride and lot's of memories.
Last year we went to colorado, Utah, Arizona and the Grand Canyon again in June. Spent a lot of time in colorado riding the mountain passes, saw Vail, aspen etc. on into south Utah to Bryce Canyon and the Zion canyon, hot 110 in the shade wow! On down to the north rim then the south rim of the Grand Canyon then into Sedona. On our way back we stopped in Santa Fe New Mexico, Greta town. Then the arse burn began, 6500 miles in 14 days.
It is hard to choose between the two rides. They are both worth doing but if had to choose I would go with the colorado trip. So much geography and geology I had not experienced before. Fascinating. Can't beat Wyoming Though one of my favorite states to ride. Mind you I haven't made it to the west coast yet and I hear that I spectacular also.
Enjoy
post #10 of 10 Old Feb 28th, 2014, 12:26 am

If you decide South Dakota don't forget the the first full week in August is Sturgis where you are apt to run into 400,000+ new friends and completely clogged highways.

You might want to take the northern route over to the Going to the Sun Highway (2000 miles) the first week to avoid Sturgis and to save a little time then return with a ride that includes Beartooth, Chief Joseph Highway or perhaps Ten Sleep Canyon. Any or all are worth seeing on your way home.

If you decide to do Going to the Sun send me a note and I would be pleased to help you plan your route, places to stay, things to see. I'm headed for a return trip to Yellowstone, Beartooth, the Black Hills and Deadwood in July. As others have said, it's a great ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in