Aging is a quandry - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 15th, 2014, 6:38 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Aging is a quandry

I am proof of that.
We all hope to grow old but do we accept the limitations that come with that.
My last summer was great and am planning for another one. But in between are the highs and lows. Things started right after I returned from my extended trip. If it's OK to vent here is the uniqueness of it all. 3 weeks away from my routine gave way to me forgetting some of my pass words around the computer. Elevate to the next level and I was forgetting simple things, heap on that family bereavement and I could notice a pace slower. Fast forward to the holidays and the new year went to pick up wife in NC.
On the return made it pass W Lafayette IN on 65 and the snows came. Nothing new since I live in the snow belt. But further north the heavier it got until I encountered several white out in a 35 mile stretch. Could not stop, get off or go faster whenever headlights hit my rearview mirror. Eventually I made it home and it has been snowing up until this week. I see I have quite a few threads to catch up on and our revamped new forum.
Happy New Year everyone.
ride safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 15th, 2014, 7:33 pm

Re: Aging is a quandry

Bill,
just remember, "Riding is life. All else is just waiting." I am paraphrasing someone, I just don't know who.

Ultra LT
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 15th, 2014, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT View Post
Bill,
just remember, "Riding is life. All else is just waiting." I am paraphrasing someone, I just don't know who.

Ultra LT
How right you are
Travel is my lifeline. When not on the bike then in a cage but moving all the same. My travel from your fair state in January saw the hazards of winter on the hwy. and my only prayer was to make it beyond that.
ride safe

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 16th, 2014, 6:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith View Post
On the return made it pass W Lafayette IN on 65 and the snows came. Nothing new since I live in the snow belt. But further north the heavier it got until I encountered several white out in a 35 mile stretch. Could not stop, get off or go faster whenever headlights hit my rearview mirror. Eventually I made it home and it has been snowing up until this week.
Sounds like it's time for Plan B as in Bail Out and get yourself a winter home in the South

Aging sucks for sure, especially when prior injuries start to reassert themselves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 16th, 2014, 2:16 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis View Post
Sounds like it's time for Plan B as in Bail Out and get yourself a winter home in the South

Aging sucks for sure, especially when prior injuries start to reassert themselves.
Bail Out would be perfect
If someone was giving it to me. But on a fixed income my toy gets first consideration

Aging is inevitable if you spend any time on this earth. My hope is to run out the sting. And enjoy every moment that I have. Have to be judicious and prioritize at the same time. All's good
ride safe
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 16th, 2014, 2:29 pm

Today is my birthday, 71. Beautiful day here in California. I don't have a BMW anymore, but I have two smaller Suzuki 650s. Lately I've been golfing, not riding, but seeing this forum and remembering the Curve Cowboy Reunions that I attended makes me want to do some trips again. This Spring I will be all over the west coast. The only thing age has done is shorten the riding days and miles. Love it as much as ever.
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 26th, 2014, 10:47 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pneff View Post
Today is my birthday, 71. Beautiful day here in California. I don't have a BMW anymore, but I have two smaller Suzuki 650s. Lately I've been golfing, not riding, but seeing this forum and remembering the Curve Cowboy Reunions that I attended makes me want to do some trips again. This Spring I will be all over the west coast. The only thing age has done is shorten the riding days and miles. Love it as much as ever.
Congrats on your Septuagenarian plateau
I was not pointing out that number but thinking out loud as we wine down that highway of life how we contemplate many different urges around every bend in the road. Do I exit or do I continue, do I go back or did I miss something, need I speed up or slow down. I am just saying it is good to be in that position faced with so many options. And the more years we add to the journey the longer the road gets. Just saying at 62 . . . I envy those who have traveled ahead of me. Keep going and going and goin' . . . .
ride safe
post #8 of 9 Old Feb 28th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Thumbs up Re: Aging is a quandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith View Post
Congrats on your Septuagenarian plateau
I was not pointing out that number but thinking out loud as we wine down that highway of life how we contemplate many different urges around every bend in the road. Do I exit or do I continue, do I go back or did I miss something, need I speed up or slow down. I am just saying it is good to be in that position faced with so many options. And the more years we add to the journey the longer the road gets. Just saying at 62 . . . I envy those who have traveled ahead of me. Keep going and going and goin' . . . .
ride safe
A big +1.

On what you both said. Bike snowed in the shed, 2' snow around it.

Looking for the riding season to get here.

Turning 75 in August. IKwill not be waiting for either of you.
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 5th, 2014, 11:10 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemmerbiker View Post
A big +1.

On what you both said. Bike snowed in the shed, 2' snow around it.

Looking for the riding season to get here.

Turning 75 in August. IKwill not be waiting for either of you.

Only way to catch you is if you slow down
And this winter has certainly slowed all of us in the north down. Snow removal is my daily outing in the winter months but everytime I open the garage for this chore I see my machine under the cover and reminded of things to come. Awe the possibilities just great.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in