HOW SMART ARE CROWS? THE BIRD THAT IS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 13th, 2014, 9:03 am Thread Starter

HOW SMART ARE CROWS? THE BIRD THAT IS

I never thought of Crows a being particularly intelligent but watching this short video changed my mind! Pretty amazing.

http://www.flixxy.com/this-crow-is-t...-ever-seen.htm

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 13th, 2014, 9:21 am

Re: HOW SMART ARE CROWS? THE BIRD THAT IS

Thanks, that was pretty neat. Birds are truly amazing.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 13th, 2014, 10:15 am

Crow deaths…

Researchers for the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority found over 200 dead crows near greater Boston recently, and there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu. A Bird Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and, to everyone’s
relief, confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu.

The cause of death appeared to be vehicular impacts.

However, during the detailed analysis it was noted that varying colors of paints appeared on the bird’s beaks and claws. By analyzing these paint residues it was determined that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with trucks, while only 2% were killed by impact with an automobile. MTA then hired an Ornithological Behaviorist to determine if there was a cause for the disproportionate percentages of truck kills versus car kills.

The Ornithological Behaviorist very quickly concluded the cause: when crows eat road kill, they always have a look-out crow in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger.

The conclusion was that while all the lookout crows could say “Cah”, none could say “Truck.”

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 13th, 2014, 10:22 am

DANG IT! You beat me to it, Mike. I'm typing and texting, so it took me a while to get my response entered.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

Last edited by Lee510; Feb 13th, 2014 at 10:26 am. Reason: same joke
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 13th, 2014, 10:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510 View Post
DANG IT! You beat me to it, Mike. I'm typing and texting, so it took me a while to get my response entered.
great minds...

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 13th, 2014, 11:50 am

pretty neat

Quote:
The Ornithological Behaviorist very quickly concluded the cause: when crows eat road kill, they always have a look-out crow in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger.
The conclusion was that while all the lookout crows could say “Cah”, none could say “Truck.”
had me for a minute....

__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 13th, 2014, 7:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had a crow steel my protein bar out of a golf cart two weeks ago. I was playing golf at Pebble Creek http://www.pebblecreekclub.com/index.html & was around the 12 hole when I got my protein bar out & put it on the dash of the cart. I had not opened it up yet, as I was going to do that on the next tee box. I went to hit my ball, & got 30 foot from the cart. When a crow lands on the roof of the cart. I can see he is after my protein bar so I started back to the cart to shoo him off. The crow flew off, so I started back toward my ball. I get half way back to my ball & the crow came back again. I yell at the crow & I started back toward the cart . The crow jumps down into the cart real quick, grabbed my protein bar & flew off with it.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #8 of 8 Old Feb 15th, 2014, 8:51 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric View Post
I had a crow steel my protein bar out of a golf cart two weeks ago. I was playing golf at Pebble Creek http://www.pebblecreekclub.com/index.html & was around the 12 hole when I got my protein bar out & put it on the dash of the cart. I had not opened it up yet, as I was going to do that on the next tee box. I went to hit my ball, & got 30 foot from the cart. When a crow lands on the roof of the cart. I can see he is after my protein bar so I started back to the cart to shoo him off. The crow flew off, so I started back toward my ball. I get half way back to my ball & the crow came back again. I yell at the crow & I started back toward the cart . The crow jumps down into the cart real quick, grabbed my protein bar & flew off with it.

And the moral is . . .
Always replace one of the clubs (long irons or 60 degree wedge) in the bag with a crow-bar sorry couldn't resist.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in