Are video games warping young minds? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jan 9th, 2014, 8:54 am Thread Starter

Are video games warping young minds?

MIndcraft. I absolutely hate that word and cringe when I hear it.

My 11 yr old stepson is hooked on it like crack. We have had to ground him from gaming because of poor grades, but even that doesn't seem to work because all he can (or did) talk about was how long it would be before he got to play again.

For those that don't know, Mindcraft is an online game of world creation. In it, you mine for ore and build buildings and of course battle other players. And the graphics remind me of the old 8 bit games of the 80's. Think of it as online Legos - at least thats the way I think of it.

A while back, maybe 3 or 4 months, we had the kid grounded from playing until his report card came out and all he could do is mope around and make comments about how much longer it would be before he could play again or that he was bored. Finally, one day I reached my breaking point. He came to me moping again about only 1 more day to go and how bored he was. I had enough. I got up went to the computer and said, "you want to play your game?" and unplugged everything and proceeded to pitch the computer out the front door. It bounced off the ground and hit his dirt bike and knocked it over. (Another pet peeve of mine....leaving the bike right in front of the walkway. Like he's too lazy to park it a few feet away and walk.) I think that got his attention. I know it got his mom's attention.

So, 2 days ago he asked if was able to repair the computer. (the drive actually spins up but creates an error when it tries to boot. I was able to extract my wife's files from it, so it is repairable). So, I say "I tell ya what. You write me a 1 page essay in your best penmanship with correct spelling and punctuation on why you NEED a computer and I'll see what I can do. I want 3 reasons with examples of why you NEED a computer, not why you WANT a computer. We all know WHY you want one. I want to know why you NEED one." His mom looked at him and said "We did the same thing to your sister when she wanted a cell phone. She had to write an essay telling us why she needed one." So far, no essay.

Now, all this is leading up to last night. I was helping him study for a science test. One of the questions was "Iron is attracted to a ..."
"lava" he replies
"What????"
"lava"
"uh...no. Try again."
"It has to be lava."
"no, it's a magnet"
"A magnet??"
"Yes."
"but in Mindcraft, you always find iron near lava, so it has to be lava."
I was speechless.
"No, iron is attracted to a magnet."
"Oh, ok. But I am learning stuff from Mindcraft!!!!"
"Obviously not, because iron is NOT attracted to lava."

What the hell is our society coming to?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jan 9th, 2014, 9:29 am

Re: Are video games warping young minds?

The game is actually MINEcraft, not MINDcraft, but I think as you point out it maybe should be MINDcraft since it is taking over kids minds.

I do agree, that some kids can play games and not get taken over by them, but many get so absorbed that they would bypass growing up as people who socialize and become good contributors to the world around them. I wish you the best of luck in getting your son established on a reasonable path.

Glad my kids are grown. Now I have 7 grand children to worry about, with another on the way. So far, they are all doing pretty well, but all but one are girls. Not sure that has much to do with it though.

The oldest Grandaughter just started Pre-Med in college. Five girls in that family, with another on the way! My daughter will have them from diapers to college!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 14 Old Jan 9th, 2014, 10:42 am

My boy went through that same thing, with the same game, Then he had Halo and all the others that followed. I was sooo tired of all conversions having something to do with a game, someone getting shot, a bomb, a kill...

Now at 22 years old he still games and a lot of his friends game, but he also has a life outside of the gaming world. I don't know if he slowly grew out of it or found things that are more interesting.
Stick to your guns and do not let it consume his life. I gave my boy X amount of time to play and the grades had to be passing to get a little extra time. Hope it goes well for you.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

post #4 of 14 Old Jan 9th, 2014, 10:58 am Thread Starter

Yeah, my mistake..Minecraft. I was never a game player. I'm impressed by the graphics in most of them, but to me they're all the pretty the same theme just different frontend. They never seemed to hold my attention very long.

I know I did stuff that really riled my parents, but usually a good belt across the backside had me seeing things in a different light.

Marshall, Tx

post #5 of 14 Old Jan 9th, 2014, 5:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I feel for you, Doug. Mine are all grown, but I had to use some of these as teaching moments. It's a good time to discuss that the lessons he learns from games may not be fact but based on fact. i.e. lava is molten rock. Molten iron ore that collects together and hardens in alignment with the planet's magnetic field can be magnetized since the poles align more easily in the molten state.

I know it's the long way around the barn but might be a good way to get him to realize that the conclusions he draws may be far different than what is real and that his school work can help him play the game better, rather than trying to learn from the game and ending in the wrong place. It's a time taker but will keep him and you interacting.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #6 of 14 Old Jan 9th, 2014, 6:16 pm

Good for you. You and your wife are the parents. Stick to your guns, make the rules and enforce them. You know better than your kids, and you don't need to be their "bud" (another parenting pet peeve of mine).

My kids are 30 and 26 now. About 20 years ago we bought them a Nintendo (second-gen, I think) - the kind you plugged into your TV. They had it for about a month before we took it away permanently because all they did was bicker about it. We sold it and replaced it with non-technology toys. They never had a video game after that, and they turned out to be well-adjusted, unlike many of the people that age with whom I work in IT who grew up 24/7/365 with video games.

Yes, I think it turns their minds into goo, stunts their emotional development, and results in a person with a lack of social skills that goes way beyond just shyness or introversion. Ask a teacher for their viewpoint. I'll give you my wife's cell number!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 14 Old Jan 9th, 2014, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler View Post
... You know better than your kids, and you don't need to be their "bud" (another parenting pet peeve of mine).
Can't agree with you more on that issue. Parents think it is somehow "cool" to call their child their best friend. Well, a parent is called to parenting, not to friendship. Parenting has to do with teaching, instructing, guiding, disciplining, caring, all in a loving way, and friendship removes respect and authority from that relationship. How did it happen that little kids are calling their parents by their first name? What happened to the endearing terms Dad, Daddy, Mom, Mommy? I believe this "friendship" parenting is one of the main causes of today's disrespectful and deviant society. If a child is not taught respect for it's parent, how will it know to respect other people and other people's belongings, respect for the law, respect for moral standards? Bottom line, you have to choose between being a parent and being a friend to your child. The one brings joy, the other brings sorrow.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #8 of 14 Old Jan 10th, 2014, 7:23 am Thread Starter

Part of what prompted me to toss the PC out the front door was a few weeks prior he came in our bedroom around 10pm CRYING because he had lost everything he gained in Minecraft. We decided at that time it was time for him to step back from the game and realize it was just that.....a game. And that was not the first time he had either cried or thrown a total hissyfit because of losing things in the game.

I walked into this knowing I was going to be a dad for the 9 yr old (at the time) and a 20 yr old (at that time). My wife has told me many times that while raising her daughter she told her many times "you don't have to like me. I'm your mother. You can like me later. Right now you do I as I say." Her daughter threatened to run away one time and my wife's response was "do you want me to help you pack?" Needless to say, the kid didn't leave. That girl is now a woman, graduated Tx Tech with a nursing degree, has been working since graduation, and going to give my wife a grandson in Apr. It's tougher with the 11 yr old because of the times, but my wife and I are at least on the same page. And if the boy tries to play us against each other, we let him know real quick that we talk and that tactic won't fly.

Marshall, Tx

post #9 of 14 Old Jan 10th, 2014, 8:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad View Post
________________________________ It's tougher with the 11 yr old because of the times, but my wife and I are at least on the same page. And if the boy tries to play us against each other, we let him know real quick that we talk and that tactic won't fly.
I know it is tough now, but I feel the boy is going to end up just fine. I know too many who have a likelihood of failing.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 14 Old Jan 10th, 2014, 9:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Part of what prompted me to toss the PC out the front door was a few weeks prior he came in our bedroom around 10pm CRYING because he had lost everything he gained in Minecraft. We decided at that time it was time for him to step back from the game and realize it was just that.....a game. And that was not the first time he had either cried or thrown a total hissyfit because of losing things in the game.
Good for you!!! been there done that. "Well, looks like you need a break from gaming, if you can't tell the difference between a game and real life."

Quote:
It's tougher with the 11 yr old because of the times, but my wife and I are at least on the same page. And if the boy tries to play us against each other, we let him know real quick that we talk and that tactic won't fly.
Communication is the enemy of the divide & conquer game. One day this young man will appreciate what you & you're wife are doing. Give him about 15 years or so.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #11 of 14 Old Jan 12th, 2014, 9:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob View Post
Good for you!!! been there done that. "Well, looks like you need a break from gaming, if you can't tell the difference between a game and real life."

Communication is the enemy of the divide & conquer game. One day this young man will appreciate what you & you're wife are doing. Give him about 15 years or so.
every now and then, my daughter (step) says: "you know, you were right all along". I"m sorry I didn't listen to you back then---(referring to my expressing my opinion of her moving out to live with the guy she eventually married-and divorced). in some ways it warms the cockles of my heart. of course in others i want to kick her and the redneck asshole she married-over--and over---and over--ad nauseum.

sigh

Mike Hammel (My Camel) [WB9GMO/4]
2002 K1200LT-E
1998 ACE Burgundy (now 'retired')
1998 ACE Yellow/Black Tourer (now 'retired')
19?? Suzuki 500 (now 'retired')
1962 modifed 49cc>~55cc Sears MoPed (LONG 'retired')

US Army Security Agency 0582L68 ('64-68)
moderator and owner:

Retired from the business world (finally--sigh --poor and proud)
Georgia Patriot Guard Riders
Roswell, GA
post #12 of 14 Old Jan 12th, 2014, 5:14 pm

The part about the lava is like the people on web sites such as Lowe's or Home Depot who ask things in the Q&A for a product:
Q: Does this cordless drill come with a battery and a charger?
A:In the tab labelled "What's in the box?" is says it has 2 batteries and a charger.
Q:How many volts is the 20V Lithium Battery?
A: 20 volts.
Q: What does this trimmer weigh?
A: According to the specifications on the product page it weighs XX pounds.

Those were all ones I've seen. Maybe those people shouldn't be using power tools anyway. I think there's an entire generation that believes it's better to just ask for the answer than to look in an obvious place because it's easier. And don't get me started about the part of "Is it on Facebook?" "Do they have a Facebook page for this?"

I have a 28 year old step daughter with 2 wonderful children. Whenever one of them is sick or has a fever she's all over Facebook asking "What should I do? Do we need to take him/her to the ER?" My wife no longer answers and when someone asks her why, she says "Because she knows it's always the same answer and she already knows it. Besides, it's all about the drama anyway."

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #13 of 14 Old Jan 13th, 2014, 11:57 am

I'm glad my wife did not make me write an essay on three reasons I NEED a motorcycle!!
post #14 of 14 Old Jan 13th, 2014, 1:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrd View Post
I'm glad my wife did not make me write an essay on three reasons I NEED a motorcycle!!
i'm thankful she never asked me to give her 1-without essay.

i needed it because i wanted it.

Mike Hammel (My Camel) [WB9GMO/4]
2002 K1200LT-E
1998 ACE Burgundy (now 'retired')
1998 ACE Yellow/Black Tourer (now 'retired')
19?? Suzuki 500 (now 'retired')
1962 modifed 49cc>~55cc Sears MoPed (LONG 'retired')

US Army Security Agency 0582L68 ('64-68)
moderator and owner:

Retired from the business world (finally--sigh --poor and proud)
Georgia Patriot Guard Riders
Roswell, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in