How do you make a Maltese cross…? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Dec 1st, 2013, 5:00 am Thread Starter

How do you make a Maltese cross…?

…kick him in the balls.
Amazingly, astonishingly and totally unexpected the Englishman Slammer who lives in Switzerland in just got a signed contract from a Swedish company with a base on Malta as a German language mod for an American online auctions house.
It was a long hard slog of applications tests and screening tests but I got the contract sent.
Starting date would be mid-December, just right for my up and coming Baseler doomsday.
The house where Slammer and the mad landlady hold residence has been sold and the new owners have chucked us out with one months notice, just the thing to get into the warm glow of christmas spirit with, I tried to reason with the buggers but this is like arguing with a toaster, it's worst for the two ancient ones, they have lived here in this house for over 40 years.
I tried to stay here in Switzerland, lord knows I really tried but after a two year search for work and me not getting any younger and the end of my unemployment insurance and a looming homelessness I must admit defeat and move on.
Part of me wants to stay here and carry on the good fight and I lay wake at nights wondering if there is anything else that I could have done, any mouse-click that I missed, should I have opened that page, or done this or done that, I simply don't know and now I have run out of time, the thought of being dependent on social services is abhorrent and doesn't work for me.
The company on Malta seems solid enough, but I do have the feeling they run a somewhat "American" style businessship, (there you go a triple "s" in a english compound word) we will see.
…and a few days came and went…!
Sweet Jesus motorbiking Christ, not 24 hours after I signed the Maltese contract I get a call from a company that I have had contact with for the past one and a half years, I applied for five of their jobs only to be rejected at the last minute, last one, after the face to face interview, they let me stew and wait for two months, always holding the carrot of possible employment in front of my face before rejecting me, that was a month ago, Monday last week they asked me if I was still interested in the job.
I gave him a deadline for a binding commitment by the end of November.
Malta
I first visited Malta as a crew member on the liner MS Europa thirty years ago to the year, haven't been back since but the island has stayed in my memory all these years, methinks I would like it there.
So! The dilemma: Do I go for the well paid job that hits a bulls eye in that what I do best and stay in Basel, or as near to as damn it, or do I go for the lousy paid admin job on Malta and learn how to scuba-dive and drink Mai tai's?
Fick!
I wish I had the answer to that, long term employment seems to be directly coupled with the shareholder value and a big company is as likely to let you go because of a bad quarterly as a smaller company is to suddenly go tits up.
Thing is I have slipped down the slippery slope and now stand on the edge of the abyss, the next step down is to be dependent on social services, paying for food at Aldi with state provided coupons, I can already feel the heat of shame burning behind my ears.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, got a signed contract against a possible one.
It sucks big time and the deadline is the sixth, after which I no longer have a roof over my head, take it from me, a longtime unemployed 53 year old homeless guy dependent on social assistance and a foreigner to boot won't get a place to stay, this is where money conscious Switzerland goes cold, ice cold.
Don't know what will happen if I screw this up
Friday came and went…..
….and there it is again, twas a flash in the pan, this company, I got told, has had so many applicants that a decision is not expected before mid december, that carrot has again turned out to be a mirage and it evaporated as soon as I got close.
I have made an appointment in a DIY garage, Iron Pig is gonna be made ready for a long trip from Basel, down the boot of Italy and over to Sicily then Valetta, the capital of Malta, but first Pig get oiled up, a few gaskets changed and it's nuts tightened.
Before the Pig pleasures Slammer, Slammer must first pleasure the Pig.
Next week we ride south.

Without men civilization would last untill the oil needs changing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Dec 1st, 2013, 6:08 am

Re: How do you make a Maltese cross…?

Hope the Malta job works out well for you! At least you are going from one desirable place to live to another. Middle of the Mediterranean certainly cannot be that bad. Probably not the best riding area though. Got floats for the pig?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 13 Old Dec 1st, 2013, 6:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Hope the Malta job works out well for you! At least you are going from one desirable place to live to another. Middle of the Mediterranean certainly cannot be that bad. Probably not the best riding area though. Got floats for the pig?
No just need to ride reeeeaaaall fast, because otherwise the pig would float like an anvil won't.

post #4 of 13 Old Dec 1st, 2013, 10:26 am

Wink Re: How do you make a Maltese cross…?

Sounds like you're doing what is the only correct thing Ray: Take the sure thing for now! There is always the possibility of a move back in the future if you find that you miss Basel that much. Plus the riding should be great along with the diving!

Good Luck!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Dec 1st, 2013, 10:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

I always believe seeing through with a commitment is an indicator of one's character. In the long run, character always wins.

Good luck to you in the new endeavor.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #6 of 13 Old Dec 1st, 2013, 12:02 pm

Garage

Congratulations on the job - at least you can winter in a warmer climate.

I am really glad it has (finally) turned nice for you.

Hope you and the Pig enjoy Malta. If you want a stopping place on trips back to the UK, I am certain I can persuade the rabbits to share their cage!

Hope to catch up with you on Skype in the near future.

Regards from a cold, warm & dreary Belgium.

Regards
Adam

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #7 of 13 Old Dec 1st, 2013, 10:30 pm

Got a former colleague who took a job here and likes it just fine- he's in his 60s, is American but with Italian ancestors and seems to be having a great time doing HR stuff there. After all his years in unionized American shops and working with small firms in other industries I imagine it must seem like a vacation, almost.

Of course, when you're old enough and have enough resources you can hang it up and play all the time, pressure if off for sure.
post #8 of 13 Old Dec 1st, 2013, 10:48 pm

You have written so vividly, dare I say affectionately?, about the Mad Landlady, that I wonder how you will cope without her.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #9 of 13 Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 1:07 am Thread Starter

Sadly the mad landlady is having a hard time, as I said they have lived here for over 40 years and I dare say that this has pushed her over the edge completely, she has shut out all interaction with clarity and lives entirely in a world of her own creation.
A world that is populated with Winston Churchill, Rasputin, Princess Diana, the Turkish Rapist, Swiss astronauts, famous Footballers, enchanted knifes and ghosts.
I did look after her for a while, I shared my food with her and made sure that she was hydrated and comfortable, even if it meant listening to outtakes from the world of crazy.
There is nothing I can do and now I must look after myself.
The move to Malta scares me, the job is to IT what flipping burgers at Mc Donald's is to gastronomy, the wages are crap, (very crap) I may be able to live with that on Malta but nowhere else in the EU and once I go down this road methinks it is irrevocable.

post #10 of 13 Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 11:43 pm

That sounds like a tuff situation for the old folks, they usually don't take well to moving once roots have been put down. Hopfully an alternative will become available and they can resettle again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
I may be able to live with that on Malta but nowhere else in the EU and once I go down this road methinks it is irrevocable.
Know what you mean, I'm 53 too and some paths surely look like an unfinished bridge to nowhere. But one thing can lead to another and before you know it you're back in the hunt. Seen it happen many times.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #11 of 13 Old Dec 9th, 2013, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

..likkle update...

I set off this morning from Basel, and needed to to the alpine transit before dusk and the re-freezing of the damp roads, I got iced out just short of the Gotthard but managed to get to Milan and onto the A7 to Genova before I got caught in icy, very dense fog, freezing fog with zero visability and dark and Italian drivers are not compatible with Slammer and the pig, so I Holed up just past Pavia for bed and pizza and a rough bathtub red and grappa.
I will hit the ferry from Genua to Palermo for the 23.00 sailing tuesday, then ride around Sicily to Pozzallo and the ferry to Valetta.
Wish me luck.

post #12 of 13 Old Dec 11th, 2013, 2:26 pm Thread Starter

Landed in Palermo and disembarked into Palermo rushhour traffic.

My oh my, what a steep learning curve, traffic rules are more like "guide-lines" and as for road markings? Why waste perfectly good paint.

When the powers that where designed the BMW LT1100, model ´94 (aka Iron Pig) they installed the loudest, most humungous horn in the BMW arsenal, I had to fumble for the button but when it went off my street cred rose exponatially, I now have a new toy, much better fun than mearly the winker.

post #13 of 13 Old Dec 12th, 2013, 6:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
Landed in Palermo and disembarked into Palermo rushhour traffic.

My oh my, what a steep learning curve, traffic rules are more like "guide-lines" and as for road markings? Why waste perfectly good paint.

When the powers that where designed the BMW LT1100, model ´94 (aka Iron Pig) they installed the loudest, most humungous horn in the BMW arsenal, I had to fumble for the button but when it went off my street cred rose exponatially, I now have a new toy, much better fun than mearly the winker.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in