Right elbow pain - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 14th, 2013, 10:40 am Thread Starter

Right elbow pain

When riding either my F800GS or R1200RT after a few miles - about 20 - I start to get a sharp pain just inside, about where the joint crease is. Does anyone else get this or know what's causing it. After 100 miles it gets so bad that I have to stop and relax it. Left arm is fine.

I work at trying different arm positions, e.g., elbows in, elbows out, holding handlebar grips as loose as possible (like grabbing bananas), etc. all to no avail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 14th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Re: Right elbow pain

Thumb or pinkey side of elbow in riding position ?
If thumb could be lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow ) . Pinkey side ( golfers elbow ) medial epicondylitis.
If so you need to strap the elbow to allow the tendons to heal.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 15th, 2013, 6:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Pinkey side ( golfers elbow ) medial epicondylitis.
If so you need to strap the elbow to allow the tendons to heal.
I've had what is referred to as golfers elbow for about a year or so and with some sports massage therapy (ProActive Sports Therapy), it seems to be getting better. I don't play golf! An orthopedic surgeon said to me after an examination that it would probably get better on it's own in about a year!

I never had a sharp pain. Mine was a dull throbbing and I felt it / feel it, after a more than 30 minute ride. I have cut out the longer rides and it seems to be better.

It has been about 6 months since I saw him and it is better! Be very careful with the straps or bands. I tried this and while it did make my forearm from the elbow to the middle of the arm feel better while I wore it, it actually made the recovery longer. According the the person working on my arm, the tendon and muscle was actually bunching up. I have not found a quick cure.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 15th, 2013, 9:15 am

This is what happened to me. I was having a lot of joint pain in my elbows and in my right wrist. Saw several doctors, cortisone shots, physical therapy and nothing worked. Well I was addicted to diet coke and was drinking 8-12 per day. Quit drinking sodas all together and within 1 month my joint pains went away. Just saying if you are drinking lots of diet sodas, quit. It is bad stuff!

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 15th, 2013, 1:48 pm

maybe----just maybe, i can use this as ammo to get my wife to stop. i sent her a copy via email and her response so far has been: "I've never heard of that....i could try cutting back". that means screw you! so her aches and pains shall thus continue!

Mike Hammel (My Camel) [WB9GMO/4]
2002 K1200LT-E
1998 ACE Burgundy (now 'retired')
1998 ACE Yellow/Black Tourer (now 'retired')
19?? Suzuki 500 (now 'retired')
1962 modifed 49cc>~55cc Sears MoPed (LONG 'retired')

US Army Security Agency 0582L68 ('64-68)
moderator and owner:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired from the business world (finally--sigh --poor and proud)
Georgia Patriot Guard Riders
Roswell, GA
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 30th, 2013, 9:50 am

Yep it sounds like tennis/golfers elbow (names keep changing). Since it is on the right arm get a throttle boss to help you stop gripping the bar so tight. You'll also want to go by the drug store and pick up some "icy-hot" roll on. That stuff works great. You could also pick up one of those silly tennis elbow bands that goes around the forearm (I have two) to ease some of the pressure that causes the pain.
Other than the aforementioned you just have to wait it out.
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 30th, 2013, 10:08 am

Are your elbows slightly bent when riding or locked in a straight position? I had something similar and realized I needed to install bar backs. My elbows were straight locked out when riding and had pains in my arms, shoulders and neck after a 30 minute ride or so. With me it was the forces and vibrations running up my arms to my shoulders and neck absorbing the punishment of riding.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 8:54 pm

15 years ago I developed a severe tennis elbow injury from spraying texture on our basement walls by stupidly running the texture gun with only 1 hand. Tendon was as big as a lead pencil and hurt like hell. Got temporary relief from cortisone shots that lasted 3-4 months. Was at he DR office for another shot, but had to see the PA since the DR was out. She asked if I owned a heating pad after the shot. Her suggested 30 minutes of as much heat as I could stand twice a day. She said there should be 1/2 an inch of pink on my arm showing above and below the pad when it was wrapped around my arm. 2 weeks of sweating my ass off during each session my elbow was completely healed. Her premise was that tendons need an increased blood and oxygen flow to heal. Same thing that a hypobaric oxygen chamber does.

Chuck Swenson,
Sioux City, IA
2010 R1200RT Low with ESA2!
2005 LT
post #9 of 9 Old Dec 5th, 2013, 6:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
I've had what is referred to as golfers elbow for about a year or so and with some sports massage therapy (ProActive Sports Therapy), it seems to be getting better. I don't play golf! An orthopedic surgeon said to me after an examination that it would probably get better on it's own in about a year!

According the the person working on my arm, the tendon and muscle was actually bunching up. I have not found a quick cure.
Dan you are correct, like any tool if used or fit incorrectly the strapping can exacerbate the problem. There are different quality levels of these straps beware. A quality strap can be bought from a company I use Serola.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in