Rick Mayer ran off the road !! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2013, 3:00 pm Thread Starter
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Rick Mayer ran off the road !!

This was posted on Face book a few hours ago. Please everyone be careful out there.
HERE IS A LINK to Ricks facebook page

The intentional run-off-the-road-be ready to be surprised.

I've been riding a few years-50 to be exact-and a lot of miles-over a million is my guess, maybe closer to two, but I have never really kept track-and I've gotten to where nothing surprises me anymore-we've all gotten there to some degree-the car pulls out or turns into our path and we say to ourselves "I knew they were going to do that". It's worth mentioning that in all those miles-I have never made contact with another vehicle. I used to get angry when this would happen-and if you ride every day, like I do, it happens every day to some degree. But somewhere along the way, I realized that I was taking these "encounters" way too personal. So I stopped getting angry-and I am a lot happier rider today. But this week someone managed to surprise me-and I got mad.

While on my way to town-a 10 mile ride through the country-I see an oncoming vehicle-Red truck, we both get to the bend in the road about the same time-a left for me a right for (her).

So I am late-apexing, a habit-especially with oncoming traffic and I see her front wheel cross over the double yellow-so I stay outside and with my left arm extended I point to my left-it's another habit when drivers start to cross over into my lane-usually gets the driver's attention when they seem to be ignoring the paint and the raised reflectors. I get a wave occasionally, the finger a few times-but they move over, so I consider 'the point' to be effective.

However (she) keeps crossing over until her entire vehicle is in my lane. Our speeds are 60+ so the distance between us is closing pretty fast-and I don't have many options left-fortunately for me this particular curve has a 12' or so paved run off-it's in front of a closed business.

I flash my HIDs several times and move to the hard shoulder and I'm 3' right of the limit line as (she) zips by-still in my lane making not the slightest effort to move back into hers.

The "surprise" in all of this was the full-faced grin and direct eye contact I see as she and I pass. I expected to see the typical distracted driver; head down, texting, or head turned towards the radio-but she was staring directly at me-and smiling.

So I got angry-I made a u-turn and caught up to her at the stop sign a half mile back-there were several other cars ahead of her vehicle so it was easy to ride up alongside her door and confront her through her open window.

I won't post what I said verbatim, but essentially it was; "Pardon me miss, I noticed you attempted to kill me back there, and I was curious as to the reason-if I may ask?"

What I got from the very young driver was that same grin-but no comment-not a word, and she punctuated her silence with a deep exhalation of her cigarette in my face.

I was shocked to say the least-I wanted to just kick in her door-but I just shook my head and left-surprised-dumb-founded, but surprised nonetheless. I remember thinking her ex-boyfriend likely rides a sport bike!

So what did I take away from this encounter?

Be ready to be surprised-100% of the time.

Rant over-thanks for reading-comments welcome.

btw--It was a late model Red Dodge Ram 4 X 4, twin tool boxes with a yellow lab-mix tied up in the back-if you know this girl-please PM me her address!! I'm kidding, sort of. But if you live in Shasta County-or are passing through-be aware-this gal likes messing with us (bikers).

Stevie Shreeve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2013, 4:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Rick Mayer ran off the road !!

We call that aggravated assault in Kansas. At the very least reckless driving, but I believe I would charge the young lady with the felony.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2013, 6:25 pm
Enjoy The Ride

It can happen every day whether you're on a bike or a 4 wheeler. Anticipate it OR

I had another close call yesterday morning but I got lucky again because I anticipated it.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 15th, 2013, 11:27 pm

I always keep a can of soda on the bike for people like that. Sorry officer it just fell off as I hit a bump. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #5 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 2:30 am

Grrr! Angry with you. Wouldn't work here in Switzerland, you simply need to remember the numberplate and look up the owner over the internet.
Then you send in a few knuckle draggers from Kosovo at three in the morning.
http://www.linker.ch/eigenlink/autonummern_index.htm
You can do it over your cellphone if you want, and be at their home before they are.
However this does make for very polite drivers in CH

Without men civilization would last untill the oil needs changing.
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Wow! I was NOT expecting to read THOSE details. That is pure and utter LOONACY!!! She needs to spend some time behind bars, and then without driving privileges to follow. I'm just glad Rick had an escape route. Whew!

- Joe
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 3:18 pm

We really only have one option, and that is, as some have said, to anticipate, act and not get mad. Anyone who has ridden more that a few miles can probably tell the same story.

It happens to us all constantly, but not always intentional and nothing will happen to her. That is just the way it is. If you get mad, it's your problem. If you react, it means that you were unaware and behind the curve.

Very few have to ride, it's optional so when we do, we simply have to be extra careful. Right or wrong, WE pay the price for others mistake, not the motorist.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 8:08 pm

I'd have trashed her truck and let explain to her boyfriend why that happened.

B D R
post #9 of 11 Old Nov 30th, 2013, 10:16 am

Now now fellas no need to get angry... I've found that a simple misplaced foot (on the rear tire valve stem), generally gets their attention within a few blocks.

Seriously I had a friend who carried steel ball bearings in his pocket. If someone did something like that he'd swing around get in front of them and casually drop a handful. Them things really bounce
post #10 of 11 Old Nov 30th, 2013, 11:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
What I got from the very young driver was that same grin-but no comment-not a word, and she punctuated her silence with a deep exhalation of her cigarette in my face.
That's the kind of gross stupidity that can bring evil right to her doorstep. All it takes is doing that stunt to the wrong person (like the guy on the NY ride). Hope she wises up before it too late.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #11 of 11 Old Dec 1st, 2013, 7:20 am

A motorcycle will NEVER win against a car.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in