Fed Up Yet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 1:27 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Fed Up Yet

This is the second time I received an e-mail with the same suggestion. This time I'm passing it on because it just may work. We've got to do something!

This is something we all can do. Today on the ABC news the story was confirmed. Also the fact that Exxon just kicked Wal-Mart off the top of Forbes list for biggest profits.

We can do this.

A GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from
one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It ' s worth
your consideration.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a
gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to
come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip
Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day"
campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just
laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt"
ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us
than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can
really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super
cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town.
Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to
think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we
need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the
marketplace..... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more
each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit
someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do
that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we
can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if
we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two
biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not
selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they
reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and
Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out at this
point.... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach
millions of people.

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us sends it to at least
ten more (30 x 10 =3D 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten
more (300 x 10 =3D 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches
the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION
consumers. If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten
friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it
goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE
HUNDRED MILLION >>>>PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you
don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is
send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a
mathematician. But I am, so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten
more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could
conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you?

Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you,
please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL
UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN.

THIS CAN REALLY WORK.
------------------------------------

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 1:36 pm

You could close down all Exxon/Mobile stations & it would have very little effect on how much gas Exxon/Mobile sells.
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 1:37 pm

Hey! It made www.snopes.com! And no, it's not the 'old' one. This one iis dated as Feb 2006.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

It's worth the time to read the couple of paragraphs on this email over at snopes. Some good points.

From the article:
"A boycott of a couple of brands of gasoline won't result in lower overall prices. Prices at all the non-boycotted outlets would rise due to the temporarily limited supply and increased demand, making the original prices look cheap by comparison. The shunned outlets could then make a killing by offering gasoline at its "normal" (i.e., pre-boycott) price or by selling off their output to the non-boycotted companies, who will need the extra supply to meet demand. The only person who really gets hurt in this proposed scheme is the service station operator, who has almost no control over the price of gasoline.

The only practical way of reducing gasoline prices is through the straightforward means of buying less gasoline, not through a simple and painless scheme of just shifting where we buy it. The inconvenience of driving less is a hardship too many people apparently aren't willing to endure, however. "

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Spead the word: Ride Motorcycles-Save Gas

Tim Frederick
Woodbury, MN
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 4:15 pm

I'm pretty sure the Forbes 400 list is of individuals.

Fortune is the magazine that tracks the value of companies. Ranks in the Fortune 500 list is based on a company's share price, not on profit. Note that General Motors is the #3 company on the list even though they lost money last year.

Nathan
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 12:08 am

Drop the tax on gas and you will see on avg about 50 cents per gallon less at the pump. Add more to this in certain urban areas and city centers.

So many chemicals come from processing crude oil to make gasoline along with many types of plastics. attempting to punish oil companies by using less gas doesn't exactly hurt them too much.

One thing to keep in mind is there is a difference in profit and profit margin where you carry inventories in products you produce. All of the banter I hear from the talking heads talk about profits and not profit margin. There is a big difference.

Some people are upset that a company can make so much money and are jealous and think its excessive, but you have to look at how entwined the oil industry is in our lives.

When we pay for our consumer goods and the gas to get to the store, we are paying the oil companies several times over with the imbedded costs of producing the product. Here is an example: take a television. the raw materials; plastics, adhesives, foams, paints, epoxys, resins, electronic components etc. The petroleum used in producing some of these components, the petroleum used in lubricants for the machinery to make the products, again for parts on the production floor equipment, plastics and foams for packaging, the trucks, trains and other vehicles used to transport the raw materials and the finished products place to place, maintenance products for those vehicles... I can go on and on up and down the supply chain and show how many times the oil companies are involved in our lives.

When you have a company or better yet an industry that touches each one of us on this planet several fold, then you can understand the incredible amount of consumption of petroluem based products are in our lives. Trust me those "profits" or "profit margins" no matter what your looking at is not entirely gasoline.

Most places in the world pay more for gas than we do now at $ 3.09 for super here in Birmingham. The last time I was in Canada, gas is sold by the liter which takes 3.8 liters to make a gallon if memory serves me correctly.
in the UK, a friend told me gas equals about $1.80 per liter, about 6.84 a gallon. I think this is slightly high, but not too far off.

When you have a business that sells a product that most of the GLOBAL population can afford and use, especially if its a consumable product, you're company is going to make a serious amount of money.

When the price per barrell of oil increases, everything made from that barrell of oil increases in price adding to the imbedded cost of the items that are produced from them. This cost is passed on to the consumers, vendors, suppliers, manufacturers, any amount of middlemen. Its not just gas folks!

We have not built a new refinery in this county for 38 years! The oil companies spend enormous amounts of money maintaining and updating their facilites to comply with the ever constricting environmental regulations. This cost is also passed on to us. There are several areas in this country that are not allowed to be drilled by the environmentalists. Technology has dramatically improved over the past 40 years to make oil exploration safer and more accurate without destroying large areas of land. Piplines have vastly improved safety measure to reduce the severity of spills and impacts to the environment.

We have the technology to produce hybrid cars, fuel cell, CNG, E85, hydrogen and electric vehicles and high tech mass transit, which may reduce our dependency of oil, but it still takes oil to produce some of the components of these vehicles and maintain these vehicles. While these vehicles are not only better for the environment when it comes to air quality they will use less to no gas/diesel. Our global population is increasing and gasoline demand will increase at our current lifestyle level. Add to this, other countries with improving economies who will buy internal combustion vehicles that may or may not be as environmentally friendly as vehicles in other industrialized nations.

I can go on all night, but I think bashing oil companies without understanding what a profit margin is and boycotting gas stations is pointless. We need to look at alternative ways of producing the materials we currently use and find alternative materials in general to produce the products we are used to and make products we can sell to other counties in this "Global Market". I'd like to see the US start producing something marketable and not be such a consumer nation. We also need to work on our educational system in this country where our children can seriously compete with children from other countries for jobs.

Sorry to be so long.

Last edited by Crestwood330; Apr 25th, 2006 at 12:14 am.
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 7:13 am

I guess what they say is true , ' a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'. People hear a big number like 8 bazillion dollars and they have a little knowledge , but then, they don''t take the next step of putting that nugget of information into the correct context.
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 7:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwood330
Drop the tax on gas and you will see on avg about 50 cents per gallon less at the pump. Add more to this in certain urban areas and city centers.

So many chemicals come from processing crude oil to make gasoline along with many types of plastics.

Add to this, other countries with improving economies who will buy internal combustion vehicles that may or may not be as environmentally friendly as vehicles in other industrialized nations.

Sorry to be so long.

best post in a while on the gasoline issue, , you are so right that other countries have improving economies, many of these countries are now building road way's that handle 4 wheels vehicles instead of bicycles or scooters, gas consumption will triple in the next few years.
oil consumption will quadruple at best!

want to get prices down? quite buying products (hahahaha) any products! don't let these countries economies grow that have never been able to afford a motorcycle let alone a car or truck
(hahahahahaha) now just who is going to do that? No ONE! if someone can save a dollar on a item made in another country they will.

all kidding aside it;s not jsut the US that has a growing population as stated in the original post here. it's the whole world places that have never had any luxury at all.

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 8:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixchard
I guess what they say is true , ' a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'. People hear a big number like 8 bazillion dollars and they have a little knowledge , but then, they don''t take the next step of putting that nugget of information into the correct context.
only the percentage of profit matters at those numbers, any good bussines man knows that. now if they were making 100% (or higher)pure profit well then that would be something to complain about.

minimum from the small seminars (and it's been a while)I have been too suggest 30-40% or close the doors. That's after all expense

Tom

post #10 of 15 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 1:21 am

I tend to agree with a Saudi I saw comment on this issue a couple weeks ago, because it made sense to me. He said Americans are their own worst enemy as concerns gas prices. He blamed oil futures traders in the US for running up the price here, and responsible for the volatility of the gas prices. He also sighted the added expense of the oil companies had in blending the myriad boutique blends required because of non standardization of EPA requirements.

I have no doubt his comments are self serving, but also think there is some truth to it, as I have heard the same thing from some US economists.
post #11 of 15 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 7:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost55
I tend to agree with a Saudi I saw comment on this issue a couple weeks ago, because it made sense to me. He said Americans are their own worst enemy as concerns gas prices. He blamed oil futures traders in the US for running up the price here, and responsible for the volatility of the gas prices. He also sighted the added expense of the oil companies had in blending the myriad boutique blends required because of non standardization of EPA requirements.

I have no doubt his comments are self serving, but also think there is some truth to it, as I have heard the same thing from some US economists.
i forget the exact stat, but americans consume about twice as much natural resource as anyone else (per capita). that shortage would happen is inevitable. did we think there was an unlimited supply?

i think you will see some dramatic changes in our lives, going forward. and i'm not sure it's necessarily a bad thing. painful, though.
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 2:26 pm

The only problem with this scenerio in whatever oil company is chosen as the scapegoat, will ultimately sell its now excess production to the companies who we a buying from.

Seems to me to be a zero sum game.

What will really work is to drive at or below the speed limit (which greatly increases gas mileage- even in SUV's, and therefore reduces gas sales - we have to accept the few extra minutes it takes to get home - and it really is only a few minutes). Also avoiding jackrabbit acceleration and sudden stops - again increasing gas mileage.
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 3:16 pm

I just recently got rid of my Dodge Durango that I had on a lease. It got around 12 mpg. I wonder how many used suv's will be around from the millions sold the last decade. How many will be large lawn ornaments?
If we get to $4.00 per gallon, that's over thirty cents per mile. If your gas station is seven miles away, the suv's fuel will cost about $4.00 to make the round trip to fill it up.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #14 of 15 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalehere
Seems to me to be a zero sum game.

What will really work is to drive at or below the speed limit (which greatly increases gas mileage- even in SUV's, and therefore reduces gas sales - we have to accept the few extra minutes it takes to get home - and it really is only a few minutes). Also avoiding jackrabbit acceleration and sudden stops - again increasing gas mileage.
that will save us gallon's used, it won't stop the prices from going up, in fact I bet the hybrids have something to do with price hikes as well, I know I know ya'll think I'm nuts.

but remember when all the little jap cars got 40+MPG and
(heck my junker honda civic was gettin close to 50 around town) us american's started buyin em up like crazy? look what happened to gas prices then, they went up up up

take a look at the new camry hybrid, it's not even a tiny junkwagon, bet money they sell much better then the last few years models of hybrids.

when every little country that had no money to buy cars (or even scooters) now has some type of economy gain fuel prices will sky rocket here, face it we have been spoiled for way to long of a time with just about the worlds cheapest fuels by a long shot, no other country uses as much gas as this country and we are by far the cheapest cost per gallon.

Tom

post #15 of 15 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 4:21 pm

Valid point. There is not an endless supply. The depletion rate per a group of Schlumberger engineers a month ago stated was about 12% per year. This translates to a net loss of 10 million barrels of crude per year.

More importantly however is the fact that the demand is driving it far more than loss of supply. Demographics in China, India, and elsewhere in Asia show that those driving rickshaws years ago are now using oil; a lot of oil. Although what is occurring in China is notable it will look like a dress rehearsal 5 years down the road as India comes online with their suspected demand patterns.

Insofar as the Saudis are concerned one should note that they (although they have ample reserves) are not capapble of increasing production a whole lot on a long term basis without risk of further destroying their fields. They no longer control the market and can only "talk it down" because of this.

If the U.S. consumer simply used fewer hydrocarbons (hybrids and/or downsizing homes (building/heating/cooling 6000 square foot homes demand a lot of energy) it would help ENORMOUSLY in taking the sting off.

The speculators (more specifically hedge funds) are intimately familiar with both global supply and demand stats and are only able to make money (buy oil contracts to the tune of $900,000,000 in one day which 2 of them did last week) so long as they see continued demand from the consumer. Without it, they would and eventually will exit the market.

This is the very worst time of the year to hope for any major fall in oil prices due to the seasonality of it. From the months of March thru December (normally ends in the month of August) demand for oil skyrockets and the U.S. inventories of crude oil are drawn down (last year 36 million barrels in 3 months).

Solutions: Any vehicle one needs with power for long distance travel - switch to diesel. Shorthaul/commute vehicle - hybrid. Better yet - K1200LT.

Gasoline is a pain to manufacture, expensive, and will always cost more to produce than diesel (this explains the huge percentage of diesel autos now in the UK). Diesel may be more expensive in the WINTER at the pump due to heating demand however from a refining/manufacturing standpoint you are talking at least 14 cents per gallon more to turn diesel INTO gasoline.

Use less.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in