Vespas - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 9:54 am Thread Starter

Smile Vespas

Been noticing quite a few Vespa riders in the 'burbs lately, not just on the Georgia Tech campus. Must be the high price of gas, huh?

Just wondering how many LT owners also own a VESPA or other scooter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:02 am

Once again a post about which very little controversy can be stirred. I, for one. am apalled at your attempts to initiate discussions involing such trivial matters in a forum decicated to CHIT-CHAT. you can bet I will dicussing this with the one or more of the adminstrators. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

BTW

my dad owned a vespa when I was I little tyke( five or so) and I remember him taking me for rides in the backyard, zipping around in circles.

In related news: I drove a honda 125 elite for a year or two back in the mid eighties and I owned a silverwing for about 3 months before buying the LT.
post #3 of 17 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:31 am

We have owned 3 Honda Helix scooters....Sandy learned to ride and got her endorsement on the first one back in 1997. It's a legal motorcycle with 250cc's......the first one I had was in LAX that I used to scoot around the PCH/Mulholland Drive/Rock Store area on layovers, and occasionally I rode it to Oxnard/Ventura Santa Barbara...one time down to Anaheim....no prob at 75mph on the 105/405(?) interstates.

We currently have a white 1986 Helix with 13,000 miles that is in perfect condition. I saw it in the classifieds last spring for $500 and high tailed it over there to pick it up. It gets 60-70 mpg and will do 75 mph......put a Cee Baileys larger screen on it and it now has good wind protection vs. std shield.

It's becoming less and less "embarrassing !" to be seen on a scooter vs the big bikes now that Vespas et al are all over the place with $3/gal gas. Plus it's easier to maneuver in traffic and easier to park....just roll up on the store sidewalks at the front door since it's most often mistaken for some kind of moped.

Plus it's extremely comfortable!

Heading out on local errands on it right now.......

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"

post #4 of 17 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:56 am
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg
Well, it's not exactly a Vespa, and not exactly a scooter either, but I do own a step through motorcycle in form of a Suzuki Burgman. Does that qualify?

Every time I just run around the corner, or to the grocers I much rather prefer the lighter, automatic, ESPECIALLY in heavy city stop and go traffic.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
post #5 of 17 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:01 am Thread Starter

Yep! Burgman qualifies as a scooter to me!

BTW, wonder if a VESPA dealership is doable now that energy concerns have come to the forefront. If so, anybody know what it costs to start one?
post #6 of 17 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:48 am

Wife just got an 06 baby blue Vespa LX150 last week. It was her gift to herself for getting her architecture license.

The juxtaposition of the huge LT next to the diminutive Vespa get a lot of looks as we cruise around town. When we go out for dinner, we take the scenic route and ride side-by-side like CHiPs.

Of course, it's already been farklized... we spent the day yesterday installing four of these LED marker lights in place of the factory reflectors.

Red in the rear and amber in front.

We set them up as always-on running lights, but with the pos+ wire on one of these rat shack relays on each side.

The lights are on the NC side of the relay, and the relay coil is powered in parallel with the turn signals. When she hits the turn signal, it both lights the turn signal light and opens the relay, which turns off the marker lights on that side. Thus, the running lights wig-wag with the turn signals.

And before anyone gets excited about the flashing red lights on this vehicle, I have a copy of Cal. Veh. C. Sec. 25251(a)(1) and 25106(a) printed out, highlighted, and stored in the registration package under the seat.

Tonight it's getting a set of these LED bullets in place of the cheesy front turn signals:

I'm hoping these farkles get her hooked on the idea and make it easier to convince her of the plain necessity of my various LT gadgets.

Last edited by midwilshire; Apr 24th, 2006 at 11:54 am.
post #7 of 17 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 1:05 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Hey Wes,

You were in the area and didn't stop by and say hello? Maybe next time.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 17 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 2:05 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Dave,

I had a 57 Vespa 125 that I drove everywhere in the hills and even held my own hill climbing with the Triumphs. I stopped driving it when I got my drivers license and switched (momentarily) to cars. It was a great little machine. I looked at a new up at Bloodworths in Nashville and they are still pretty much the same, cept you don't have to premix the oil and gas now.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 17 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 3:11 pm

I saw four of these little turds in a row in Laguna Hills,Ca last week. I think the EPA or Ca Air Quality Management outlawed the big truck roving billboards. I have't seen any in quite a while. I guess these guys filled the void.I think they had an ad for the DaVinci Code Movie. I was at a bad angle and the glare on the plastic billboard killed my view.

Tony 05
post #10 of 17 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 6:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink

Hi , I have am 1987 Honda Helix . It's great for running up town to the hardware store or some thing . I haven't put more that 200 miles on it in any single day , but it is fun for short trips ...Patric ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #11 of 17 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 8:37 pm

Walked into Bob's BMW last week and ---GASP!!!---he is selling Vespas or something that looks just like them!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #12 of 17 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 9:52 pm

We have a Piagio X9. The thing is a mini LT My wife and I do our arrands on it. She also rides it on our weekend excursions. Has no problems doing back to back 300 mile days and gets 60 to 70 mpg.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #13 of 17 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:30 pm

My Burgman 650 is a lot of fun without the weight. I'm considering a 1K Saddle Sore IBA ride to see how it does in a longer ride. I love my LT for touring but have a ball with the BM 650 0 to 100 miles so far. Actually, I'm getting more attention about the BM650 than the LT now!
post #14 of 17 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 1:42 am

My 14y old daugher wants a pink one for her 15th birthay because you can get a permit at 15 and drive one in CA instead of waiting until 16 for a car. My wife is all for it so my daughter can drive herself to school and around time instead of my wife playing taxi driver. I am having my safety doubts about all this. She will take an MFS course before I would let her get a permit if they will let her take the course without one. I would like to hear some thoughts from you guys on this.

Sam Burg

Wide Open Until You See God, then BRAKE!!!!!!!

03 K1200LTE w/ Armec sidecar
01 HD CVO Custom dyna wide glide SOLD
85 K100RT
97 Honda 125 Dirt bike SOLD
05 Honda 50 Motocross SOLD
04 Excite.com 107 Motocross SOLD
01 Porsche Turbo SOLD
06 BMW M5
55 LT55 Special replica (La Carrera Panamericana race car) SOLD
07 Ferrari F430 Spider 6speed
post #15 of 17 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 8:23 am

Talking

Hey Ken....LAX layover days with the Helix were back in the late 90s before I ever knew about this site. I shipped that Helix back to NC years ago and sold it to a friend who still has it.

I wondered when I wrote about my Helix days in California whether you might comment......and you did! Rest assured I would have looked you up had I known you lived along my "Helix route".......

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Hey Wes,

You were in the area and didn't stop by and say hello? Maybe next time.

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"
post #16 of 17 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2Fast
My wife is all for it so my daughter can drive herself to school and around time instead of my wife playing taxi driver. I am having my safety doubts about all this.
I've been cruising around on my wife's new Vespa, which has a low center of gravity, decent acceleration, and weighs just over 200 lbs. It's about the easiest thing on two wheels to operate. Stops very quickly and nearly stands up by itself.

But I think you're right to have concerns. At 15, one hasn't had the opportunity to develop driving judgment. Everyone has some close calls early on, and it's probably prudent to go through that in the relative safety of, say, an Eldorado.

In sum: she'll have no problem operating the thing, but it provides zero protection during the newly-permitted driver's learning period.
post #17 of 17 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 11:32 am

Scarabeo 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg
Made by Aprilia. Those Italians are serious about their scooters. It's very well made and has full size motorcycle wheels, not those squirelly golf cart donuts, (handles much better in my opinion). I'll be putting a powerlet port on it this weekend and some hand grip heaters soon. My wife is learning to ride on it. When she's road ready, I'll join her on the F650CS, another sparing fuel sipper.

(Curious how I own both BMW's biggest, most expensive motorcycle and their smallest, least expensive bike.)

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in