do you pass when.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2013, 3:05 am Thread Starter

do you pass when....

do you pass when theres a no pass zone? I take 95N out of Stillwater MN a lot and half the time im wondering why I cant pass here and the other half thinking why is there a passing zone here...lots of curves and hills on it and at times I no I can just swoop right around when theres not even cars coming but its a double line no pass zone....so I don't pass....just curious how other ppl go about it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2013, 6:11 am

Re: do you pass when....

In Ontario you can pass if you can do it safely, so if you are seen by the police it is a judgement call by the officer. I will pass but not when approaching intersections where I don't have a clear view of all directions of travel. In general the lines are painted using the performance of an underpowered car as the guide so a bike can easily make safe maneuvers when the lines on the pavement would suggest no.

Gerhard
post #3 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2013, 10:36 am

NO never. I am not in THAT big a hurry. I just wait for a LEGAL passing zone.

Around here there is a reason for a no-passing zone. And it is ILLEGAL to pass in such a zone.

RCW 46.61.130

No-passing zones.

(1) The state department of transportation and the local authorities are authorized to determine those portions of any highway under their respective jurisdictions where overtaking and passing or driving to the left of the roadway would be especially hazardous and may by appropriate signs or markings on the roadway indicate the beginning and end of such zones. When such signs or markings are in place and clearly visible to an ordinarily observant person every driver of a vehicle shall obey the directions thereof.

(2) Where signs or markings are in place to define a no-passing zone as set forth in subsection (1) of this section, no driver may at any time drive on the left side of the roadway within the no-passing zone or on the left side of any pavement striping designed to mark the no-passing zone throughout its length.

(3) This section does not apply under the conditions described in RCW 46.61.100(1)(b), nor to the driver of a vehicle turning left into or from an alley, private road, or driveway.

RCW 46.61.100 is in reference to staying Right except to pass on multi lane roads and other minor exceptions which do not negate the rule above.

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT

post #4 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2013, 11:43 am

if I can pass and I want to pass then I pass.
post #5 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2013, 12:18 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If I can safely pass on a double yellow with a wide safety margin, I will do so. Usually that means the vehicle ahead is going well below the posted limit and there are NO passing zones ahead for several miles (i.e. the entire North Georgia two lane infrastructure).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2013, 1:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
NO never. I am not in THAT big a hurry. I just wait for a LEGAL passing zone.

Around here there is a reason for a no-passing zone. And it is ILLEGAL to pass in such a zone.

RCW 46.61.130

No-passing zones.

(1) The state department of transportation blah blah thereof.

(2) Where signs or markings a blah blahthroughout its length.

(3) This section does not apply under the conditions described in RCW 46.61.100(1)(b), nor to the driver of a vehicle turning left into or from an alley, private road, or driveway.

RCW 46.61.100 is in reference to staying Right except to pass on multi lane roads and other minor exceptions which do not negate the rule above.
What do they say about speeding?

Gerhard
post #7 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2013, 1:14 pm

I will if it's safe. I've been stopped three times for it, and have yet to be cited. I willing admit that what I did was illegal, but that it was not unsafe.
When you look at laws such as posted above, it considers the least competent driver on the road way, and limits all to those circumstances. When you consider the rate at which a motorcycle can accelerate around a slower car, it's considerably quicker than the average passenger car.
And, truth be told, I just can't see letting Ma and Pa Kettle screw up a well designed public race track ride!
Just my opinion.
post #8 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2013, 4:56 pm

I'll only do it if I'm passing an SMV-marked vehicle - a farm tractor, combine, or truck pulling hay wagons, etc. I'd have to really, really know the road very well before considering it. At least in my home area, when it's a double-yellow it really isn't safe to pass - not enough sight line, for example.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Oct 9th, 2013 at 7:09 pm. Reason: spelling
post #9 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2013, 5:25 pm
Enjoy The Ride

When I'm riding solo or with just one other bike I do it all of the time. When I'm leading a group ride I just stay behind the slow vehicle until at least most of the group can pass safely & then I slow down until the whole group gets past the slow vehicle.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2013, 8:30 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Yes

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #11 of 21 Old Oct 10th, 2013, 5:23 am

Yes, but in my home state of Vermont, it is not illegal to pass on a solid line.

The intent of the law is to allow passing of slow farm vehicles on our winding roads which may lack a passing zone for many miles.

While not illegal to pass on a solid line, it will not exempt you from a speeding ticket.

If a law enforcement officer sees you making a pass that he doesn't think is safe, he/she would have to bring a charge of excess speed because a charge of "unsafe pass" will probably be dismissed by a judge.

Snipped from a Wikipedia article: "In some states, it is not against the law to overtake vehicles in the presence of solid yellow lines if it is safe to do so. For example, Vermont State Law also allows passing across the double yellow line when no traffic is on the opposing side, however, one must pass quickly and return to the proper side. [9] Pennsylvania also permits passing on double-yellow lines when not also posted with "Do Not Pass" signage. [10][11] However this is unusual as most states have a ban on crossing a double yellow line except when turning, or when pedestrians, bicycles, or other obstructions in the road make it necessary. Overtaking another vehicle across a solid yellow line is usually considered a serious traffic violation in most states."
post #12 of 21 Old Oct 10th, 2013, 5:51 am

Same as Dave, if I'm by myself or with a buddy that likes to ride fast then yes. If I'm with a group then no.

Always I make sure it is safe, I would never do it on a sharp turn on hill where I couldn't see oncoming traffic.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #13 of 21 Old Oct 10th, 2013, 8:05 am

I do it but I always look for small roads or driveways on the left. If somebody pulls out they are probably only going to look to their left for traffic and will only see you after they pull out. A lot of times that's why there is a double yellow on what looks like it should be a nice long passing zone.

69 Triumph Bonneville
09 K1200LT
09 HD Road King
post #14 of 21 Old Oct 10th, 2013, 11:34 am

Absolutely not - Wasn't me, Can't prove it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #15 of 21 Old Oct 10th, 2013, 2:41 pm

Only in passing zone.
Exception with slow moving or stopped vehicle obstruction.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #16 of 21 Old Oct 10th, 2013, 2:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard
What do they say about speeding?

Gerhard
They say:

Mr. Gerhard, do you know how fast you were going?

post #17 of 21 Old Oct 10th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Lightbulb Re: do you pass when....

I have passed many times in no passing zones when someone is going slow. Just be careful that they are not cops. I passed an unmarked cop in Nevada many years ago and he was not happy about it. Luckily he didn't even give me a ticket but I don't expect to be that lucky again.
post #18 of 21 Old Oct 10th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Absolutely not - Wasn't me, Can't prove it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
You and I must have the same attorney....

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #19 of 21 Old Oct 11th, 2013, 6:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
They say:

Mr. Gerhard, do you know how fast you were going?
I think you probably understood I was referring to your strong emphasis on the passing action being illegal yet defending the need for radar detectors in another thread, just seemed incongruous.

Gerhard
post #20 of 21 Old Oct 11th, 2013, 11:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Yes, but in my home state of Vermont, it is not illegal to pass on a solid line.

The intent of the law is to allow passing of slow farm vehicles on our winding roads which may lack a passing zone for many miles.

While not illegal to pass on a solid line, it will not exempt you from a speeding ticket.

If a law enforcement officer sees you making a pass that he doesn't think is safe, he/she would have to bring a charge of excess speed because a charge of "unsafe pass" will probably be dismissed by a judge.

Snipped from a Wikipedia article: "In some states, it is not against the law to overtake vehicles in the presence of solid yellow lines if it is safe to do so. For example, Vermont State Law also allows passing across the double yellow line when no traffic is on the opposing side, however, one must pass quickly and return to the proper side. [9] Pennsylvania also permits passing on double-yellow lines when not also posted with "Do Not Pass" signage. [10][11] However this is unusual as most states have a ban on crossing a double yellow line except when turning, or when pedestrians, bicycles, or other obstructions in the road make it necessary. Overtaking another vehicle across a solid yellow line is usually considered a serious traffic violation in most states."
I'm with Charlie on this, one especially having ridden with him. However, back here in PA, it depends on the speed of the vehicle in front of me. If they're doing the posted limit I'll wait for a passing zone. If they're way below the limit, I'll pass provided I have an unobstructed view and plenty of room. And yes, I usually ride at a speed 5-7 mph above the posted limit when said limit is 50 mph or higher. At lower speed limits the margin is smaller. FYI - S.O. got a ticket doing 32 in a 25 mph zone. I believe the LEOs tend to be less obliging in towns. Anyone who has ridden through the small towns in the Finger Lakes region of NY might vouch for that.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #21 of 21 Old Oct 11th, 2013, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard
I think you probably understood I was referring to your strong emphasis on the passing action being illegal yet defending the need for radar detectors in another thread, just seemed incongruous.

Gerhard
There are plenty of multi-lane roads where I need a detector. There are plenty of 2 lane roads, where I need a detector, every vehicle is not "slow-moving". There are plenty of in-town roads where I need a detector.

I have just found that the time saved by passing in a no-passing zone is negligible and there is usually a legal passing zone or passing lane close ahead.

Riding 7-15 MPH over the limit hardly has the same risk factor as passing in a no passing zone, does it?????

I probably am not risking my life riding 10-15 over.

I probably am risking my life passing in a no- pass zone!

Last edited by Atomicman; Oct 11th, 2013 at 2:17 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in