Video Ticket Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Sep 30th, 2013, 7:11 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Video Ticket Question

If I mount two Gopro cameras with one showing the road & the other showing the tachometer & speedometer & post it on the web is it possible to get a speeding ticket ?.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 30th, 2013, 8:58 pm

Re: Video Ticket Question

Probably depends on what information the speedometer is showing.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old Sep 30th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Thinking of spending some of the money in those rusty Mason jars, Squeaky?

Speaking on what I know from one of my past lives, an officer in NC can make an arrest (citation, summons, ticket, etc.) for a misdemeanor only if it "occurs in the officer's presence". Technically, he doesn't even have to SEE it. Since traffic citations are even lower on the scale as infractions, they should have the same requirement. I'm not sure if an officer WATCHING a video on you tube would legally be able to hunt you down and make an arrest for a misdemeanor or infraction that he witnessed after the fact. The playback of the event would have occurred in his presence. The actual event would not have.

You could be creating the start of some BIG legal precedents here, Dave! I guess even if the agency couldn't do anything about it, if they found out who you are, they could send the videos to your insurance company and let them handle it. OUCH!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

post #4 of 4 Old Sep 30th, 2013, 10:18 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
If I mount two Gopro cameras with one showing the road & the other showing the tachometer & speedometer & post it on the web is it possible to get a speeding ticket ?.
How could anyone possibly prove that the 2 cameras recorded the 2 different views from the same location at the same time?
If you destroyed the original GoPro files, the metadata that contains date/time is gone. Even so, who's to say the date/time on the 2 cameras were set correctly to match (synchronised) anyway?
Worst I could imagine they could do would be to pick you up for any obvious infringements showing in the road-view camera, such as going through a stop sign, crossing wrong side of road etc etc... but I doubt anyone would bother unless you were a serial road offender & youtube poster (just love those idiots).

For instance, you could go for a nice ride down your favourite country rode at legal speed (say 35mph), record that at 30fps for 10 minutes. Speed it up in your video editor to 5 minutes length and now you appear to be "doing 70" in a 35 zone.
The speedo camera could shoot you doing 70 legally on a highway somewhere... edit the 2 together... and there's your "crazy speeding motorcycle" video.

Somehow I think you'd be safe, although the onous could be turned on you to prove you weren't riding in an unsafe manner (its just an FX shot, Your Honour)......... and you'd have to live with comments from morons that have to point out that your another stupid speeding biker

I say go for it.. and send us the link!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in