Radio Station WLS in Chicago - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:18 am Thread Starter

Radio Station WLS in Chicago

I was visiting with one of my sons the other day, and we started talking about unusual (and made-up) holidays. All of a sudden, from the dark recesses of my somewhat warped brain came the words "It's Hootie Sapperticker Day!"

Does anyone else here remember Radio Station WLS in Chicago from the 1950's - 1960's? I grew up listening to Dick Biondi (the World's Ugliest Disk Jockey) and Larry Lujack. I can remember one of the DJs there who did a schtick about a guy named Hootie Sapperticker. He even had his own theme song but I can't remember anything more about him... Anyone else out there have a better memory than mine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 18th, 2006, 5:07 pm

dubbleyu elllllllllllll ess chi-caaaaa-go

That and CKLW out of Windsor were the only stations we could get out in the sticks of southern Mi.
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 18th, 2006, 7:18 pm

Smile Learned about Rock and Roll

from Art Roberts late in the evenings when my little Admiral 7-transistor AM would tune in the Mighty 890.

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 18th, 2006, 9:19 pm

Wls

I remember Dick Biondi (I hope I spelled it right) WLS is now a talk station I believe. But in the 50's and 60's the 9:PM to midnight was the rockin time. Dick got fired when he told a joke about a miniskirt that was so short you could see the cockpit. Pretty riskay for those days. For now too I guess. In the early 70's Chris Erik Stevens did the night gig. It was a big deal for us in the UP of Michigan to have a disk jocky from the UP in Chicago. Radio just isn't the same any more.
Bob Salmi
Darlington WI
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 18th, 2006, 9:54 pm

...remember all of those guys, and also Gene Taylor and his "Silver Dollar Survey".

Wayne Malaise
Rock Island, IL
00 Canyon Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in