Props to a friend! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 4:31 am Thread Starter

Smile Props to a friend!

As several of y'all know, ole Toad took up smokin' 'bout mid-March this year. Melted wire insulation, billowing smoke from deep in the innards, hot wires dancing with brown grounds, butt luckily no flames!! Finally got the ole Phart to give it up for good last week. Wuz gonna check out the stamina factor yesterday morning, plus get a coupla months late inspection sticker. Instead, the forecast for rain, along with some seriously thick cotton candy fog, dictated a stay on the center stand in the garage while ole Thundra delivered us to the java joint for a good round of chat with three buds who also caged it.

Anyway, last evening, with clear skies, ole Toad scooted outta the garage, down the driveway and out onto a dry street. Under the watchful eye of the resident CFO, all the 'I see you' and 'you see me' gidgets and gadgets worked. Round the block a few times and rolled back into the garage with two-thumbs up and a touchdown signal. Life is good, and this morning, we do the coffee trip again and pays our token inspection fee!

The above leads me to the following -- Mega Props to my good friend Bill Edwards (1jusbill1), who lives just down the curvy road from me and ole Toad. All the time we spent chasing burnt wires, searching and finding melted insulation, checking wiring continuity, unwrapping wire bundles, soldering where needed, re-wrapping wire bundles, tracing wires into and out of the Motronic, the electric box, double checking results on the bike against a purchased whole-bike wiring harness hanging on the garage wall; taking tupperware pieces and fuel tank off and back on, replacing the original fuel hoses which had deteriorated following 6 months waiting in a non-insulated metal storage shed with temps in the low-to-mid 100s, and on and on --- Bill wuz there to help and guide. I felt uncomfortable working in an area alien to me (electrical) without supervision, so I decided that we would work together only a coupla hours in early mornings when it wuzn't over a hundred degrees in my garage, and only one or two days a week. Without Bill's assistance, last evening's round the block dance would never have happened. So again - mega thanks, Bill. Ole Toad is much better for having you in the OR with us these last six months.

And BTW folks, Bill managed to attend the IBMW-R's Blitz to Branson rally, the Boone rally in NC, the Dogwood rally, the MOA rally in Salem, the recent Sipapu rally near Taos, and a San Antonio club weekend run to Big Bend - along with a family visit to Florida - and still spent time to share ole Toad's workload with me. I'm blessed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 5:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Props to a friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
As several of y'all know, ole Toad took up smokin' 'bout mid-March this year. Melted wire insulation, billowing smoke from deep in the innards, hot wires dancing with brown grounds, butt luckily no flames!! Finally got the ole Phart to give it up for good last week. Wuz gonna check out the stamina factor yesterday morning, plus get a coupla months late inspection sticker. Instead, the forecast for rain, along with some seriously thick cotton candy fog, dictated a stay on the center stand in the garage while ole Thundra delivered us to the java joint for a good round of chat with three buds who also caged it.

Anyway, last evening, with clear skies, ole Toad scooted outta the garage, down the driveway and out onto a dry street. Under the watchful eye of the resident CFO, all the 'I see you' and 'you see me' gidgets and gadgets worked. Round the block a few times and rolled back into the garage with two-thumbs up and a touchdown signal. Life is good, and this morning, we do the coffee trip again and pays our token inspection fee!

The above leads me to the following -- Mega Props to my good friend Bill Edwards (1jusbill1), who lives just down the curvy road from me and ole Toad. All the time we spent chasing burnt wires, searching and finding melted insulation, checking wiring continuity, unwrapping wire bundles, soldering where needed, re-wrapping wire bundles, tracing wires into and out of the Motronic, the electric box, double checking results on the bike against a purchased whole-bike wiring harness hanging on the garage wall; taking tupperware pieces and fuel tank off and back on, replacing the original fuel hoses which had deteriorated following 6 months waiting in a non-insulated metal storage shed with temps in the low-to-mid 100s, and on and on --- Bill wuz there to help and guide. I felt uncomfortable working in an area alien to me (electrical) without supervision, so I decided that we would work together only a coupla hours in early mornings when it wuzn't over a hundred degrees in my garage, and only one or two days a week. Without Bill's assistance, last evening's round the block dance would never have happened. So again - mega thanks, Bill. Ole Toad is much better for having you in the OR with us these last six months.

And BTW folks, Bill managed to attend the IBMW-R's Blitz to Branson rally, the Boone rally in NC, the Dogwood rally, the MOA rally in Salem, the recent Sipapu rally near Taos, and a San Antonio club weekend run to Big Bend - along with a family visit to Florida - and still spent time to share ole Toad's workload with me. I'm blessed.
Now that is a real friend. Of course the rest of us aren't real sure that Toad really
exists. Sounds like you need to make an RTE w/pics.
Glad you are back on 2 wheels.

Dan
post #3 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 5:46 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
Now that is a real friend. Of course the rest of us aren't real sure that Toad really
exists. Sounds like you need to make an RTE w/pics.
Glad you are back on 2 wheels.

Dan
Plus 1, I still say he sold Toad & is trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 6:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Oh ye of little faith!!!!
OTR pix later!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	40929   Click image for larger version

Views:	68
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	40937   Click image for larger version

Views:	74
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	40945  
post #5 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 6:05 am

Congratulations to you, Dick - and an "attaboy" to Bill. There are many people like him in this LT community and it's what makes this a special place.

Now... you have a chance this Saturday to show us Ole Toad at the Hearne RTE.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 6:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Oh ye of little faith!!!!
OTR pix later!
Those are some scary before pictures... and now for the "after!"

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 7:41 am

Nice work...now get out and ride!
post #8 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 8:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I have a feeling the only way Dick will ever give up Toad is if the Boss sneaks out to the garage, hauls it off, and puts a new one in it's place.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #9 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 8:24 am

As the saying goes "A friend in need is a pest indeed"

Kudos to you both for sticking with it and getting the Toad back on the road.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #10 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 8:33 am

Congrats with getting the ole Toad up and running again. This means there is hope for the Silver Bullet I have out in the garage.

Did you ever determine what was the original cause of the meltdown? I am in the process of selling my silver bullet to a fellow who is planning to make the recovery effort.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #11 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 8:36 am

Talking Re: Props to a friend!

All right Dick! This means we should see you & Toad in Chattanooga next year huh?

Hoping,

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #12 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 8:37 am

Nobody repeat this but...I have to agree with Dan...

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #13 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 11:17 am

I have to tip my hat to you Dick for having that much patience. I would have probably parted it out and bought another. Having said that, I didn't when I messed the head up on mine. Just can't get away from the grin factor when riding these beasts.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #14 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 12:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Glad you got ole Toad going again Dick. I love the creative use of a plastic fork in sorting out the toasted wires.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #15 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kinsey
Nobody repeat this but...X xxxx xx xxxxx xxxx Xxxx...
First Ole' Toad, now this? It's a miracle!

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #16 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 4:52 pm

Good on ya, Dick!!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #17 of 19 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 7:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi
Congrats with getting the ole Toad up and running again. This means there is hope for the Silver Bullet I have out in the garage.

Did you ever determine what was the original cause of the meltdown? I am in the process of selling my silver bullet to a fellow who is planning to make the recovery effort.
Hi, Scott - good question. It all started when I set about removing the five dash backlight bulbs in order to install red LED replacement bulbs. I managed to remove the OEM wedge-type bulbs and their holders, and installed the LEDs. For those of you who haven't been back of the dash, I'm here to tell ya, those bulb holders are a bear to pull outta the back of the dash. You just know sumpthin' is gonna break. And the shop manual even sez, carefully pull on the two wires at the back of the holder!!! No way am I gonna chance pulling wires out of a bulb holder! So, I got 'em out by tugging on the rubber holder and cussing and holding mouth just right. Holders out, bulbs removed, LED bulbs in. Now during all of these gyrations, I didn't notice that one bulb's pair of wires had sometime in the past been scraped bare for about 1/4" in length (may have happened back in 2002/3 when we did the speedometer mod). Anyway, all dash bulbs are in, holders are in, turn on key to see how they look - love it! Didn't love the smoke wisping outta the dash and outta the electric box where the dash harness plugs in! Turned off the key about the same time the fuses gave up. Whew. Saw melted wire insulation - blown out connectors in the electric box - bare wires, etc. Pulled the dash off the bike and went in search of a replacement harness. New = $300. Found a clean one from a recycler for $25 - free shipping! Replaced the dash harness and canned the toasted LEDs and original bulbs - figgered all is good. In putting ole Toad back together, I would occasionally turn on the key to verify all wuz well. At some point in doing that, a loose brown ground wire for a turn signal bulb got in a dance with a hot wire - damn, somebody is sending smoke signals again!! Big Time. Way more serious than the little dash harness. Key off - battery removed. Call Bill. Cry a lot. Had a glass or two of Emmetts. Thus began the six month Odyssey of tracing the burn points in the main LT wiring harness. New = $2,300. Found a complete one from a salvage recycler for $100 - free shipping!! With that in hand and hanging on the garage wall as a clone check and a parts supplier, Bill and I went over all of ole Toad's wiring and made everything all better! So, $125, a new set of fuel hoses at the tank quick disconnects, many hours of labor and learning curve time, and here we are. Maiden voyage today confirmed we did a fine job - I churned thru every item on ole Toad during a two hour ride and there were no glitches. Life is good. (Sorry for the long post).
post #18 of 19 Old Sep 13th, 2013, 9:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

Wow, Dick. Looks like you & Bill are now resident wiring harness gurus! Just one of the many reasons I love this forum.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #19 of 19 Old Sep 13th, 2013, 9:48 am

Happy for ya and good on ya'll for not giving up.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in