Think you can ride and drink? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 12:36 pm Thread Starter

Think you can ride and drink?

Time for much more riding, so perhaps some reading about the effects of alcohol on riding would be helpful. According to this article, 69% of all accidents are alcohol related. This is an older article, but still very pertinent. Here are some gems:

"A lot of people believe that if you're drunk you have a greater chance of avoiding injury in a crash. The myth is that you're more relaxed and able to roll with the punches. The reality is quiet the opposite extreme. According the American Association for Automotive Medicine, which detailed data from over 1,000,000 crashes, the drinking driver is more likely to suffer serious injury or death compared to the non-drinking driver. "In any given crash, alcohol increases the vulnerability to injury."
Another paper from the University of Washington found while investigating motorcycle accidents where head injuries were involved, "The protective affect of helmet use was lost on the intoxicated group, who sustained head injuries twice as frequently. The mortality following the critical head injury was twice as high among intoxicated patients (80-percent vs. 43-percent)".

A USC-released study which investigated 900 motorcycle accidents in the Los Angeles area also found you are much more likely to die from your injuries when you've been drinking, helmet or not. Four-percent of the non-drinking riders were killed as opposed to 21-percent of those who had been drinking. "The difference is statistically significant. Drinking riders who crashed were about 5.6 times as likely to die as non-drinking motorcyclists involved in an accident.""

The full article is here: http://motorcyclecruiser.com/streets.../riding_drunk/

Cheers!

Not.

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 7:05 pm

on easter friday i rode to undara
http://www.undara.com.au/
on the way the police pulled me up for a RBT (randon breath test - check for alcohol)
i laughed at them and said "i will glady give you a breath sample,but do u really think i would be silly enough to get drunk and try and ride a motorcycle or better yet ride *THIS* motorcycle drunk considering the sheer size & weight of it"

Of course i passed the test & the Policeman thanked me and asked many questions about the bike before he left.

But seriously, you would have to be a total nutcase to drink and then even *THINK* about riding the LT wouldnt you???
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 10:39 pm Thread Starter

Wellll, 69% of those who have accidents couldn't do what you and I wouldn't think of doing!

Our nearest to similar volcano tubes are quite recent...as few as 2000 years ago in central Idaho. Although ours is a national park, it is not something that looks like it would be very appetizing as a theme park! Somewhat connected to Yellowstone geologically. http://www.nps.gov/crmo/home.htm

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 2:34 pm

I do NOT advocate drinking so much as 1 drink then driving BUT!!!!

That 69% is such a BS number from the very fringes of reality....Example: If you drink a beer or two and have a BAC of say 0.03 and are sitting at a street light behind a car and the idiot coming up behind you on the cell phone runs into you that is recorded as a alcohol related accident,, now that is stupid..The beer had NOTHING to do with the accident... So to me stats are just stats,, something people manipulate one way or another to prove their point..........Regards Pete
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
I do NOT advocate drinking so much as 1 drink then driving BUT!!!!

That 69% is such a BS number from the very fringes of reality....Example: If you drink a beer or two and have a BAC of say 0.03 and are sitting at a street light behind a car and the idiot coming up behind you on the cell phone runs into you that is recorded as a alcohol related accident,, now that is stupid..The beer had NOTHING to do with the accident... So to me stats are just stats,, something people manipulate one way or another to prove their point..........Regards Pete

If you torture the data long enough it will admit to anything! I doubt that the injury rate has anything to do with susceptibility due to alcohol, as the quote suggests...it's more likely that drunks get into worse crashes than sober riders and therefore suffer more extensive injuries. My guess is that Pete has a valid point to some extent but his scenario would likely water down the injury rate...not make it look worse. Besides, 83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 4:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron82much
Besides, 83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!
BERRRRRRRAAAAAAPPPPPP- WRONG!!!!! It's 83.8%.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in