Tales of "The Box" - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 15th, 2006, 7:27 pm Thread Starter

Tales of "The Box"

Well, I got around to taking the ERC today and for the most part is was good fun... EXCEPT.

The winds were gusting in OKC today to about 40 mph and while practicing the box a gust of wind came along at exactly the right/wrong time and litterally took me to the ground. Scratched up one of my new Hella DE's but no real damage except to my ego... The instructor came running over and said " omigosh are you allright?" Of course I was just fine and immediately picked up Lola and went right back to negotiating the box again like nothing happened. Apparently they all expected the bike to be ruined till I explained to the group that the LT has these rubber bumpers on it because someday everyone goes down.. They were all amazed that I didn't quit right there on the spot... No biggie was my reply. It's not my first time to find the ground with this top heavy bastard.....

Still made a 94 on the skills test and of course 100 on the written...I offered to let one of the instructors try the box on my LT but none would have anything to do with it.. They demo'd the box on a Honda 250..

All and all it was a good experience but my advice to anyone taking the course is to hopefully have a calm day and not the knock you over with the wind day that we had today..

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 15th, 2006, 8:13 pm

Congratulations John!

Wind has been ferocious up here all day as well - they should have given you bonus points just for the wind factor!
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 6:56 am

John: You Be The Man! I could not stay in the box, even on a calm day.

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 7:27 am

So, what is this ERC box you are talking about?
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 7:37 am

Good job. That is a difficult test.

Scott
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 7:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverbert
So, what is this ERC box you are talking about?
Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) offers two courses, the Basic Riders Course (BRC) and Experienced Riders Course (ERC). They include a variety of riding skills, one of which is the box. You enter the box from one end, perform a 270 deg turn to take you back to your starting point then 180 deg turn to exit out the other end. The idea is to execute it without going outside the lines or touching down. Haven't tried it myself with the LT yet, want to get some more riding time in before I try that one.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 8:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen
They demo'd the box on a Honda 250..
When I took my ERC a coupld of years back, one of the instructors was on an LT and the other was on a wing!!

Prakash Krishnamurthy

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

post #8 of 12 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

One instructor had a Wing,, The other had a Harley Ultra-Glide I think..

Both were NOT running.........So much for that.....

John

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #9 of 12 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 5:42 pm

It can be done!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen
One instructor had a Wing,, The other had a Harley Ultra-Glide I think..

Both were NOT running.........So much for that.....

John
This is a class picture from our ERC in October of 2004. All bikes but one completed the "Box" manuver and I'll bet he could do it now without a problem. The couple on the right did it two up.

OBTW, did I mention the pad temperature was over 100 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ERC Class.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	3087  

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 10:23 pm

The Box

What are the dimentions of the box?

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #11 of 12 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:09 pm

[ Flame suit ON ]

OK...I can't stand it! What is the purpose of this drill? How to turnaround in a parking place? What to do if you ride into an open semi-trailer? Patterns to ride if you're lost in a blind alley? Please, please, somebody explain; I know we've got several graduates and MSF instructors as members, so surely someone knows.

I cannot tell you how disappointed I was at my experience in taking the MSF BRC. The facility was an elementary school parking lot covered in gravel by the dump trucks traversing it during our class to supply the construction site for the school expansion project. We were forced to stop drills and wait while a fresh load of gravel got dumped several times during the course of the afternoon. The 'course' was marked with faded lines of greenish blue paint on gray pot-holed asphalt that were impossible for me to see (color blindness). How many roads have you ridden that were marked in a like manner? Supplied motorcycles were in poor condition at best; several would not start and the brakes and chains were not adjusted. Tire condition was spotty to say the least. I suppose demonstrating locking up the rear brake will do that to knobby tires after a few dozen classes; not to mention the cracks in the sidewalls due to bike storage in a metal shed for the last 5 or 6 years. The Yamaha dual purpose bike I was provided with would not have seen street duty with me on it without at least a day in the shop. Most of the drills that we performed had little bearing on street riding. When was the last time you did figure-8s on a public street with 12 or 15 of your best friends ( other than a parade! )?

Now, after that rant, I have to say that I heartily recommend that anyone I know that is starting out or rejoining the ranks of riders take the class. Any education is better than none. While I still remember bikes that shifted on the right and didn't have kill switches or turn signals, it constantly amazes me that people will attempt to operate vehicles without reading the manual and becoming familiar with the controls. Hopefully, many of the students who take this class will realize that motorcycling is a continual learning experience and takes practice to perform effectively.

[Flame suit OFF]

Sorry to perhaps be hijacking this thread; kudos to all who have learned new skills and practices during their classes. I believe the MSF is an honorable organization with an admirable goal and the instructors do a generally fine job, but I honestly question certain aspects of the curriculum.

Brett

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'!

2003 BMW K1200LTC "El Gato Grande"
1993 Suzuki GSXR1100W
1978 Suzuki GS1000C 'Project'
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:27 pm Thread Starter

Brett

The box is 24' wide by something longer than that.....maybe 36 or 50 feet.

The purpose of the box is to get you used to small radius turns.. Like making a U-turn. This is probably the ONE thing that we all need more practice at..

If you've ever tried it you know that it takes a couple of lanes to turn the LT around and it's no fun task at any time. So the more practice and input you can get from the instructor, ( keep your head up, look into the turn to where you intend to finish, slip the clutch and drag the rear brake, etc.)... The more confident you'll feel about it when you have to do it in traffic. The ERC,(experienced rider course ) is all about counter steering and swerving and braking maneuvers... Just to make you a better overall rider..

And it get's you out of the driving portion of the DMV test to get your "M" endorsement on your license..

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in