Magic ball. FREAKY! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

Question Magic ball. FREAKY!

I am baffled by this one! Gotta be a trick, but I have not figured it out yet.

http://trunks.secondfoundation.org/files/psychic.swf

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:38 pm

David,

I'll bet you that every time you play your final result is either 0 or a multiple of 9 up to 9^2 . Check the symbol next to zero before clicking the magic ball - that will be the answer every time .

[edit to add] Upon further study and digging up some OLD brain cells - since initial number is two digits. 0 is never an answer. Lowest number than can be chosen is 10 w/ final result being 9. Greatest number than can be chosen is 99 with final result of 81 - all multiples of 9. There was some principle I learned in high school accounting about finding errors when balancing the books - had to do if # was divisible by 9 but my CRS is acting up, can't remember the name!

I can't explain why 0 always has the right symbol unless the author is trying to account for 'cheaters' - someone who thinks of any # < 10 as a two-digit number (like 09 or 08 - any number below 10 and the result will always be zero). Thanks Dale for helping me kick into analytic mode ![/edit]

Richard Kuethe
The Quiet Room

Last edited by varoom; Oct 7th, 2005 at 11:09 pm.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 12:01 am
Ted

...that would be a transposition error - reversing 2 numbers will always result in a difference that is divisible by 9. Example: if you write down 528, but really meant 582, you'll be off by 54, which is divisible by 9.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 5:53 pm Thread Starter

Yep, I was playing around with it and saw that that is the trick. Every time the choices of numbers that can possibly be the answer all have the same symbols. The symbol changes every time you try again, but always 0, 9, 18, 27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72, 81 will always have the same symbol, and that is the one which will come up in the ball when clicked. If you add and subtract correctly, those are the only numbers that can be answers. I did notice he has a couple of the same symbol scattered around amonst other numbers to throw you off so it won't be readily apparent what the trick is.

And yes, I had used numbers with the first digit being "0".

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 8:08 pm

post #6 of 6 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

I started to Google it to see if I could find something like that, but being an engineer, with the inquisitive mind that usually goes with that, I just had to figure it out myself.

First I tried to do a couple of the numbers "backwards", and that led me to the conclusion that many of the numbers in the chart were just fluff and could not be arrived at, so that led me to the "trick". I pretty quickly "discovered" the small number of answers actually viable.

A mathmetician would probably know it right off, but math was not my best subject, until I got to Trig., which I did very well at. Anything "spatial" was pretty easy to me, but Calculus stopped me dead in my tracks. Could not "see" that in my mind like I could geometry and trig. Funny how we all differ so much, I had a good friend who was an absolute wizz at Calculus, but had a hard time with medium level Trig.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in