Tx arms bearers charged w/ disorderly conduct - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 11:20 am Thread Starter

Tx arms bearers charged w/ disorderly conduct

Has anyone else seen this story? I came across it via Facebook.
Apparently, some guys outside of a Starbucks in San Antonio get charged for essentially displaying their rifles in public, even though there's no rounds chambered, and open-carry is suppose to be legal in Texas. I'd be interested in hearing thoughts from our subscribing LEOs:
http://www.mrconservative.com/2013/0...penly-carried/

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 2:48 pm

Re: Tx arms bearers charged w/ disorderly conduct

So my question is, if there are no rounds in the weapons, why carry them around? they do no good empty. Carry a baseball bat then. This seems to be another "look at me" issue.

I grew up with weapons around all the time, even in classrooms as a kid in parts of Africa when things were not safe for white kids, we were bussed to school in armored school buses, the teachers would walk into class and put their automatic rifle(loaded) up against the wall and class would begin, no one messed with it. This to me is nothing but a bunch of yahoo's trying to get attention, and they got it.

If you want to carry a weapon, get a concealed permit and carry it that way, you don't brag about your toy in public.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #3 of 7 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 4:19 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
So my question is, if there are no rounds in the weapons, why carry them around? they do no good empty. Carry a baseball bat then. This seems to be another "look at me" issue.

I grew up with weapons around all the time, even in classrooms as a kid in parts of Africa when things were not safe for white kids, we were bussed to school in armored school buses, the teachers would walk into class and put their automatic rifle(loaded) up against the wall and class would begin, no one messed with it. This to me is nothing but a bunch of yahoo's trying to get attention, and they got it.

If you want to carry a weapon, get a concealed permit and carry it that way, you don't brag about your toy in public.
I agree...chicken shit bravado and immature attention seeking behaviour. Nothing against guns or carrying concealed, but this kind of stuff may make responsible gun owners look bad.

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 1st, 2013, 9:11 pm

In NC, open carry of pistols is allowed, so long as it's visible. Then the cops can arrest you for "Going armed to the terror of the public". I don't remember from the statutes if someone has to really be scared or just complain about it.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 1:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
So my question is, if there are no rounds in the weapons, why carry....
The article didn't say the weapons were not loaded. The weapons did not have rounds in the chambers, which is a stipulation of the Texas law, allowing for the weapons to be carried in public.
As far as these guys just wanting attention, I'm guessing they were doing so to see if the local LEOs would apply the state law, assuming they even knew it. A lot of proponents of the second amendment (of the U.S. Constitution) interpret the right to "bear arms" literally in the sense of not only being able to own/possess them, but to actually carry them or "bear" them in public. Our founding fathers wanted to ensure Americans had this God-given right to protect themselves from a tyrannical government. Theoretically, it wouldn't be practical to have your weapon at home and have the need arise to protect yourself against whatever while out and about, running errands, etc.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Last edited by bikerj; Sep 2nd, 2013 at 1:12 am.
post #6 of 7 Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 10:01 am

After the first ten seconds of the video, it's clear that these are assholes who are deliberately testing the law ("if'n we sit outside, ain't nobody can do nothin" or so said moron #1).

Tease the bull, sometimes you get the horns.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 10:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

While I fully support the 2nd amendment, it seems these guys aren't "exercising their right" but baiting. Why wouldn't they say, "ok we got the LEO attention," go put the guns away as directed and then engage in the larger discussion? The discussion never got to the next level, but got trapped in the "failure to comply" vortex and the outcome was absolutely predictable and reasonable. I just don't agree with the approach.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in