DIY earbuds - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 11:57 am Thread Starter

DIY earbuds

Anyone tried these?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: DIY earbuds

No, but I've been using EarFuze http://www.earfuze.com/ with owner custom molded ear plugs for awhile and love them.

Audio quality of the earbuds is excellent and the soft rubber surrounds effectively block wind noise. Less than $50 and work great.

I use the red and blue version. Look a little funny before I put my helmet on but the color code (red for right ear) makes reinsertion a bit quicker and easier.
post #3 of 10 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 7:32 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Doug these sound interesting but they say nothing about a standard 3.5mm male plug on the earbuds only a remote. I have sent them a message about this. If they offer a standard plug i will order them. I've tried the other types that you mix 2 parts together then use your own ear buds & they did not work well for me.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 11:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Doug these sound interesting but they say nothing about a standard 3.5mm male plug on the earbuds only a remote. I have sent them a message about this. If they offer a standard plug i will order them. I've tried the other types that you mix 2 parts together then use your own ear buds & they did not work well for me.
After looking at their web site a little more I see they have just the ear plugs that fit your own earbuds so I ordered a set. For less then $20.00 I'll give them a try. Thanks Doug.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 8th, 2013, 6:38 pm Thread Starter

Let me know how they work. If I remember correctly they can be remolded numerous times.

I recently made a pair using Radians ear mold material and a set of my earbuds. The problem I had was that the earbuds would not stay in the mold, so I bought automotive plastic/molding glue and tried to glue the earbuds into the molds. So far that seems to be working.

Marshall, Tx

post #6 of 10 Old Sep 12th, 2013, 8:02 pm

They came in today & are very easy to mold. Plus my old Sony ear buds fit in them great. I had to remold one & it was also very easy.
When I put the helmet on they get a little loose in the ears but I can reach my finger into the helmet to push them back into place. I'll have to go for a ride to see how well they work on the road.

Before molding them.

After molding them.

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 10 Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 4:08 pm

Finally got out for a ride today & all I can say is these things a CRAP !! They are hard & let a lot of wind noise in past them. They put the earbuds out side of the ear cannel so it is harder to hear then add in the wind & I only went about 20 miles before they where coming out of my ears. I'll stay with my cheap $30.00 Sony earbuds that I've used for 3 or 4 year & for thousands of miles. These POS's are now in the trash.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 7:48 am Thread Starter

Well, I guess it was worth a try. I used to have a set of Fuze, but I had 1 side go out on 2 sets so I don't know if I want to try them again. If I do I may try a different set of earbuds.

Marshall, Tx

post #9 of 10 Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 12:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Well, I guess it was worth a try. I used to have a set of Fuze, but I had 1 side go out on 2 sets so I don't know if I want to try them again. If I do I may try a different set of earbuds.
Depends on how long ago you bought your old set of EarFuze. My latest pair has a more rugged wire coating coming from the earbud. I also molded the material further down the wire so it wouldn't flex as much near the earbud. My first pair, red/blue have exposed wires, but still work. My flesh tone pair has the better wiring. Kind of a cloth as opposed to a plastice coating.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #10 of 10 Old Sep 24th, 2013, 3:40 am

I love the part on the website where the demo says "Once heated the molding pieces cool down to room temperature". Really?

Gizmodo's review title: "A perfect fit that sounds like shit".

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in