Biker goes down - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 25th, 2013, 6:30 pm Thread Starter

Biker goes down

4 of us were riding in north western MI up M-22 this afternoon and just south of Empire on a sharp corner the guy behind me skidded off of the road right through the corner. As I looked back all I saw was a dust cloud, I know that couldn't be good. I turned around and went back, the other two were already stopped along with several cars, numerous calls went out for an ambulance as well as me hitting the SOS on the spot device.

Preliminary diagnosis is a badly torn up ear, broken arm or wrist, gravel imbedded in the face, a real bad cut on the head, and lots of road rash. He was not wearing a helmet or a coat. He did have gloves and boots on. The gloves got ripped up real good and I'm sure saved his hands some damage.

He was conscious the whole time but I think in shock. As of now he is getting a CAT scan.

It is a real sobering reminder to keep that helmet on!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 25th, 2013, 9:25 pm

Re: Biker goes down

Sure hated reading your account of this, Dave. I hope he's not injured badly and recovers quickly. I can testify about helmet use. I've heard for years that your head is one of the first things to hit the pavement. The Shoei I was wearing got some pretty good scuffs in Nov. of 2010. Don't know if it hit first.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 4:54 am Thread Starter

I found out last night that he will need reconstructive surgery on his face near his eye. It looks like he will make a full recovery.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 10:13 am

so sorry to hear of the accident.

if/when appropriate details become available, it might be helpful to us so we can watch out ourselves for these particulars (i.e. tires, gravel, oncoming, etc.)

hope fully recovery is prognosis.

sure makes you think and (hopefully) more cautious. i know it does me!! Hel-met--Hell yes.

Mike Hammel (My Camel) [WB9GMO/4]
2002 K1200LT-E
1998 ACE Burgundy (now 'retired')
1998 ACE Yellow/Black Tourer (now 'retired')
19?? Suzuki 500 (now 'retired')
1962 modifed 49cc>~55cc Sears MoPed (LONG 'retired')

US Army Security Agency 0582L68 ('64-68)
moderator and owner:

Retired from the business world (finally--sigh --poor and proud)
Georgia Patriot Guard Riders
Roswell, GA
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 10:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Wow, hope he heals well and starts wearing protective gear. If we knew when these things were going to happen, we'd prepare. Unfortunately, so many don't think about it as a matter of daily safety.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 26th, 2013, 5:09 pm

I can attest to wearing safety gear. I laid my R1150 down on I-25 because of a driver texting and then stopping in construction zone. I was wearing a Bell helmet, gloves, jacket, and long pants. I ended up with a cracked left wrist, broken right collar bone and four broken ribs. But my helmet took the biggest impact. I was very fortunate. Hopefully the other guy heals quickly.

2002 R1150R rip
1996 R1100RT
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 5:20 am Thread Starter

Well after having reconstructive surgery on his face near his left eye socket and his left ear as well as pins in his right wrist, It looks like he will make a full recovery. I have not talked to him but some friends have and passed on this info.

He is not quite sure what happened, he was riding a 2012 Harley softail. The bike has some big floorboards I think maybe it hit the road while cornering on this tight turn. Maybe he just took it too fast. No gravel on the road.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #8 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 9:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He is not quite sure what happened, he was riding a 2012 Harley softail. The bike has some big floorboards I think maybe it hit the road while cornering on this tight turn. Maybe he just took it too fast. No gravel on the road.
Years ago I got back into riding after a 25+ year hiatus because of riding my new son in law's softail.

I found it did not have a great lean angle (compared to the BSA I had years earlier), which had been reduced even further by his highway peg mounts, which hit about the same time the sides of the footboards did, but with NO GIVE. At least the floorboards would move up, giving one a warning. The highway peg mounts removed the warning! I scraped them a couple of times, scared me, so when I decided to get my own bike again, the only thing I knew for sure was that it WOULD NOT BE A HARLEY! After looking at just about everything on the market for a couple weeks, ended up with my first LT, a 2000.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 31st, 2013, 6:35 pm

Speaking of Harleys........

Rode my brother's Ultra Classic last week. What a difference on a lot of levels.

B D R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in