Got my new ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 1:20 pm Thread Starter

Talking Got my new ride

It's been a while since I've posted here but winter's over and I got me a new ride! Finally able to both afford a second bike and make room for it in the garage.

Now my LT is being kept company by a new Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic...woohoooo!!! I got a great deal at my local Kaw shop and even managed to add some significant CLAP (Chrome, Leather, and Power) without going over the original list price. My deep seated need to have a cruiser back in the stable is finally satisfied and I'm a happy guy.
I still love my LT but it is mostly the wife's bike (chauffeur required) and isn't my first choice for style of ride. It's a great machine and I have a wild time riding it...far better in the twisties than a cruiser and a top end well beyond my personal comfort zone...but once it's parked in the garage it just doesn't really call to me and say "let's ride". The Vulcan, on the other hand, is a constant nag, in fact it's been calling to me from the dealership for the whole 2 years I've had the LT.

Now it's just a matter of controlling my urge to add "useless" chrome goodies and limit my time in the garage fashioning truly unique gadgetry and gimmics that will make it more than just a bolt-together "custom" job.

One bit that you cruiser riders might appreciate...when we were at the dealer and I was listing the "must haves" that I wanted on it to start with I came to the chrome fender rails and my wife asked "what do those do?", my answer was simple..."nothing whatsoever, they just hang there and look cool!". She completely understood me and was OK with that .

BTW, as for the LT...we will keep on riding it a'plenty for the longer cruises and vacations, I'm expecting my seats back from Rick Mayer any day now...I had them done in leather and can't wait to see 'em!

Ride safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 6:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Glad you got what you wanted, thats usually a good thing!
I climbed off of my LT at a friends house and road his 1500 V when it was new and dang near killed myself on it.
The bike was in perfect new condition but I couldn't get it to stop and had to wrestle it to make it turn.

My point being, be careful when moving from the LT to the Cruiser. The LT is so easy to ride and stop and most cruisers just aren't.
Good advice, Dave. It was a bit of a wake-up call riding out of the dealers parking lot on the Vulcan after 2 years on the LT...what the hell happened to the brakes!! Oh, yeah...no power assist...just put some weight into it.

The rest is pretty easy as I've spent most of my riding life on cruisers and "standards"...of course now I'm worried that I'll launch myself into a low orbit the first time I hit the brakes on the LT.

Funny thing, though, when I first got the LT it took me about a week for it to stop feeling unstable on the highway. The LT handling is so light and the center of gravity so high (compared to my Vulcan) that I could barely hold a line the first day out. I got back on the Vulcan after 2 years on the LT and it was like I never left it.

Now if I can only stop hitting the horn every time I want to signal a left turn on the Vulcan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in