Has anyone else experienced this - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 11:31 pm Thread Starter

Has anyone else experienced this

I have numbness in 3 fingertips on my right hand.The pinky and 2 fingers adjacent.The index finger and thumb are fine.I have experienced it periodically but it has been more persistent as of late. I have a doctors appt. on Friday,but was wondering if anyone else has had this and what it is...Thanks.

Rob Steffens
2002 LTC Black
"Do We Stop Playing because we grow Old
Or do We Grow Old because We Stop Playing."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 1:42 am

Could be most anything.

nerve pinch/bruise (recent injury?)
muscular (recent injury?)
strain (connective compromise)
thrombosis
peripheral neuropathy
peripheral vascular disease
Repetative stress issue (carpal tunnel)
Too much wine for dinner ....

Sorry - even a doc, which I'm not, ain't gonna jumpt to any kind of conclusion just on subjective symptoms.

Good luck with it!

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #3 of 19 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 7:11 am

Rob: If you never suffered the symptoms before then it is caused by your LT. I have an 06 LT and I experience the same symptoms (only while riding for 30 minutes or so) (and only on the right hand) I call it the LT BUZZ. So I set the Cruise...shake out the arm and the cycle repeats every 30 minutes or so.

v/r

post #4 of 19 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 7:22 am

I experience the same sensation from bicycle riding and it is caused by gripping the handle bars too tightly or putting too much weight on your hands. The medical term for this is cyclist or handle bar palsy.

I copied this from another web site.

"Also known as ulnar neuropathy, handlebar palsy is actually an inflammation of the nerve that runs along the entire length of the arm to the hand. This nerve, which is also known as the ulnar nerve, provides for both movement and feeling in the arm and hand (e.g., it possesses both a motor and sensory function).

So why does this nerve have a tendency to become irritated during cycling? In general, the ulnar nerve becomes inflamed, usually either at the elbow or the wrist, when it has to absorb vibration and shock transmitted to the arm via some apparatus or tool (it can also flare up when the hand and arm are maintained in a fixed position for a long time). In the case of cyclists, shock and vibration are transmitted directly from the handlebars to the arms and to the ulnar nerves in each arm, raising the risk of ulnar neuropathy."

For me, wearing padded bicycling gloves and repositioning my hands has eliminated the problem.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #5 of 19 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 7:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by robowis
I have numbness in 3 fingertips on my right hand.The pinky and 2 fingers adjacent.The index finger and thumb are fine.I have experienced it periodically but it has been more persistent as of late. I have a doctors appt. on Friday,but was wondering if anyone else has had this and what it is...Thanks.
yup, but I have radial nerve damage since my arm was darn near completly ripped off

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #6 of 19 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 7:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

I experience it when I ride the LT. As others have posted, occasionally stretching, relaxing, lowering the hand to the side for a few seconds is all it takes. A new pair of gloves I just bought make it worse; they are a little too tight and I'm sure that doesn't help.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 19 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 8:11 am

Mine results from C-3 & C-4 damage from a wreck about 10 years ago..

I just go and get my head twisted around by a good back cracker...Fixes me right up..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #8 of 19 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 12:07 pm Thread Starter

I never thought of it but I just took the bike out of storage last week and have been riding it about every other day and that is about when the numbness started. I appreciate all the input guys.Thanks again.

Rob Steffens
2002 LTC Black
post #9 of 19 Old Apr 13th, 2006, 2:43 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I never used to have this problem, even though others had talked about it. But lately I've noticed a bit of numbness after riding the LT, but not every time. Stretching and shaking it out seems to help for a while.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 19 Old Apr 13th, 2006, 4:13 pm

I would bet that it is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Do you experience it in bed whilst asleep. (It will wake you up). I have had it for a while now and it affects me at work. I am a Joiner. A colleague of mine has just had a new procedure for the same problem. They inject something into the base of the palm/wrist area and he has had no problems since.
Regards
Terry
post #11 of 19 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 1:18 am Thread Starter

Here is the really weird thing, I experience it all the time, and my little toe and toe next to it on the right foot are also numb. Going to the Doc today. I have 3 bulging discs in L1,2,3. Don't know if its related or not,have been feeling great in the back area can't figure out what the heck is goin on.

Rob Steffens
2002 LTC Black
post #12 of 19 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 2:13 am

I have the same problem but it is much better now with the LT and cruise control. My last cruiser was a 2001 Bigdog Bulldog. The vibration from the 107 cubic inch fuel sucker was more than I could take sometimes. Trips from So Ca to Phoenix on it were murder. Now the Iron Butt runs are enjoyable not dreaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00760.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	3057  
post #13 of 19 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 10:20 am

Me Too

I also experience this numbing sensation when riding the bike. I attribute it to the pressure required to hold the throttle in position and grip pressure required. I am sure the vibration is also part of the problem. I find when I am wearing the Winter gloves it doesn't happen as fast as when I have no gloves on so having to wrap my hand tighter seems to make it worse. I try and use cruise as much as possible and intend to order a Throttle rocker this week to allow the heal of my hand to provide the pressure to hod the throttle position.

I also find that opening up my outside 3 fingers and stretching/shaking them every few minutes helps.

I think the fact that I spend a lot of time using a computer mouse is probably what has led to this and since I am only 38 I figure I need to come up with a solution or I won't be able to ride this fine machine for another 25 years

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #14 of 19 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 11:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfran
I think the fact that I spend a lot of time using a computer mouse is probably what has led to this and since I am only 38 I figure I need to come up with a solution or I won't be able to ride this fine machine for another 25 years
I'm a lefty, so my left hand & wrist hurt from mouse use (40 hours/week, minimum), and now the right from biking. Your choices might be: give up the PC, give up the LT , or continue to do stretches, use the cruise, etc.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #15 of 19 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 11:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I'm a lefty, so my left hand & wrist hurt from mouse use (40 hours/week, minimum), and now the right from biking. Your choices might be: give up the PC, give up the LT , or continue to do stretches, use the cruise, etc.
Cheryl works with a PC and mouse 8/5 and developed CPS 5 years ago. Wore the splints; took the meds; did the exercising; switched hands as best she could (she's a lefty); tried ALL suggested remedies, short of surgery. Wuz beginning to impact her job performance and she thought about a career change within the company. Got so bad, she dreaded changing TV channels with the remote!! (Life threatening!! ).

Well, she can't pass up a dare, so when a friend bet her accupuncture would either help or provide some short term relief, she took the bet. Three sessions and she's been doin' hot licks on the remote ever since; works the PC at the office, AND a laptop w/mouse here at the house, and doesn't miss a beat.

Not saying the examples of hand/finger numbness mentioned in this thread are related to CPS, or can even be fixed with accupuncture - butt for a non-believer like me, and to an extent, Cheryl prior to the sessions - that treatment wuz an eye-opener. It has given her 4 1/2 years of needed personal and work-related pain relief, with nary a minute of re-occurrence. Just an FYI item to throw into the mix. YMMV.
post #16 of 19 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 12:43 pm

Smile

Hmmm...ya know it is weird about carpal tunnel/tendonitis. I wore a brace for a year with tendonitis because of all my computer design work. Pain was awful. Didn't start until I sold the Harley. Changed a few ergonomic things and bought the LT. Pain eventually went away.

Well, sent the LT on a vacation in Flordia last fall and didn't ride for 4 months and the pain was beginning to come back. Been riding for the last month and NO PAIN!

Maybe the throttle really IS your friend!!!

BTW Dick, would that acupuncture stuff work on the numbness between my ears?????LOL
post #17 of 19 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 2:19 pm

I think I would rather give up the PC than the LT.....I am definately getting the bug the more I ride it. We'll have to see how the throttle rocker works as I think that will be the solution because when I can use the cruise and not have to grip the handle hard it is much more comfortable.

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #18 of 19 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 3:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg
BTW Dick, would that acupuncture stuff work on the numbness between my ears?????LOL
Hawg, you think I oughta ax Cheryl to test that out?

Course, shortly after that remark, I'd have to take the test too!!!! To git rid of that ringin' in my head!!
post #19 of 19 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 4:28 pm Thread Starter

Just got back from the Doc, he says the ulnar nerve is irritated causing the numbness in the fingers and my bulging discs in my back are causing the numbness in my toes gave me some meds so we'll see how it works. He believes the finger numbness is due to to hard of a grip on the throttle and the fact that I haven't ridden since last year. Maybe I'll look into a throttle rocker last one I had blew off the bike after the first ride hope they improved them since then.

Rob Steffens
2002 LTC Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in