Deer strike! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

Angry Deer strike!

Hawg 1, deer 0. Thank God!

Yep, just got in from a late night meeting at a local City Council. Whilst being the ever vigilant and observant rider, I negotiated 30 miles of rural two lane roads only to find myself and ol Silver Bullet in Peachtree City. Modern "new town" of about 40,000 population and one very large, very recently-struck deer lying in the middle of my lane in a 4-lane!

No time to react!

Airborne!!!!!!

Silence.

Pain in my neck!

Landing!

Pain in my back!

Tank-slapper!

Hold on!!! More silence!

Then, CRASH!!!! My right mirror broke from it's tether and crashed to the pavement at 50mph.

Thoughts.....am I next? What the hell is it gonna feel like? Did notice that there were no cars behind me....so, what's gonna happen???????

All of a sudden....no more tank slapping handlebars. No more wobbling. Just an LT going straight like it was before. Then I noticed my left mirror fell off but was retained by the tether....What the hell?

Nothing. No panic. No pavement. No nothing but the awful smell of deer sh*t!

Thoughts. How did I manage to stay upright and not go down?????

Dunno. Check out all systems. No flashing lights, no noises, brakes work, everything works....huh?

So, I turned around at the next crossover went back and found my mirror...toast...gotta order a new one. Looked over the LT. No damage anywhere else. Just deer sh*t! Lots of it!

Hmmmm.....so THAT is what it feels like going airborne 3 feet in the air!!! Dammit mang! Gonna feel it in the morning I guess.

LT is fine. I am fine. Go figger.

So, what lesson did I learn?

Not sure if I learned anything other than how stable an LT is and how safe the design of the motorcycle really is compared to my Harley. But I will say one thang....

I love that bell! But, really, I suspect that someone upstairs had a leetle something to do with the outcome of THIS southern boy's close encounter of the Bambi kind!!! And I am soooooo thankful!!!

BTW, @#[email protected]#$ Bambi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 9:18 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, man!

Gotta get a root canal in a coupla days but that sure took the pain away!!! Just kinda moved it down my spine a bit. Sheesh....can't wait until morning.

Now where is that danged Jack Daniels when I really need it???
post #3 of 28 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 9:26 pm

Good work Dave! Sure glad you stayed up, there have been too many deer stories lately that didn't have favorable endings for some riders! But then they weren't on a Light Truck!

But, I gotta ask...Just what kind of wimpy ass tether material are you using boy!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

Ya know, I don't remember now since it was lost when the mirror let go. At one time I had the cable kind... But I did use TWO zip ties on the left and THOSE held, so, I dunno. Guess I will go with something much stronger when I get a new mirror.

Tell ya what, though, I am simply amazed....not enough words to describe that experience.

Crap...gotta go get one of them pain pills the dentist gave me. Hope it works for my neck and back, too!

Thanks for the kind words, man.
post #5 of 28 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 9:33 pm

Wow Dave!

Going to have to get you one of those Evel Knievel costumes with a cape!

Sure am glad you came out alright Dave... Take it easy for a few days and don't over do it, ok?
post #6 of 28 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 9:35 pm Thread Starter

10-4...think I overdid it tonight so I ain't gonna push my good fortune.

Ride safe!
post #7 of 28 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 9:43 pm

How's the deer?

Donald
NW Arkansas
2006 K1200LT Blackish sorta kinda
BMWMOA #124197
AMA #925041

The difference between committed and involved is like a ham and egg breakfast, the chicken was involved...the pig was committed!
post #8 of 28 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Daid!

Several cars ran over that sucker whilst retrieving my mirror! Had to dodge 'em on foot.

Tell ya what guys...I am really beginning to hurt. So, I reckon I will hit the sack and catch up with you all tomorrow.

Be careful out there!
post #9 of 28 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 9:53 pm

Holy venison, Bud!! Raw roadkill ain't good for ya; didn't you know that?!?!

Lissen - really, really glad you're ok. You were doin' better on those 30 miles of rural two lane - that'll tell ya; stay off them 4 lane buggers!!

I know I don't gotta tell ya to give ole Silver Bullet a thorough goin' over tamale (if you ain't too sore!) and take it easy on yourself. Them high-jump landings can bruise parts where least expected. I'd opt for a day at the spa or sumpthin'!! Take Gator with ya in case you need to fetch a towel or some more of that Southern Tea concoction!!

Dave - I'll be thinkin' 'boutcha and your 'event' for awhile now; got some of them Bambi cousins around these parts too. Hope they got the word what can happen to 'em when they wander out on a 4-lane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg

Yep, just got in from a late night meeting at a local City Council. Whilst being the ever vigilant and observant rider, I negotiated 30 miles of rural two lane roads only to find myself and ol Silver Bullet in Peachtree City. Modern "new town" of about 40,000 population and one very large, very recently-struck deer lying in the middle of my lane in a 4-lane!

post #10 of 28 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 9:54 pm

"So, what lesson did I learn?"

What I learned: Don't ride at night?

I hit one full on in Ohio at 3am in 1974 on a Kawi 500 triple after coming home working a doulble shift unloading box cars (16 hours - hey it was a union job and I got time and a half) at a grocery warehouse. 20 years old at the time. Killed the deer, totalled the bike. Felt like someone beat me with a rubber hose filled with lead shot. Pavement is harder than I could ever imagine. Could not walk for days even though nothing was broken. Of course we did not have MRI's back then!

My revenge was I et the sonomabeach. Cooked gently over medium heat in an iron skillet with a nice cabernet reduction, native shaggy main 'shrooms, butter, onions and a little kosher salt and tri corn pepper it is hard to beat. I swear it helped the healing.
My momma was a COOK!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 28 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 11:07 pm
Ted

Are you sure that it's DEER poop you were smelling?!

Nothing like an E ticket ride - glad you are ok!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #12 of 28 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 11:14 pm

Glad for you! Could have been much worse. Sounds like someone, or that bell, was really on your side at that moment.

Now, paraphrasing what Robin Williams said about the house that the airplane flew into (forgot which movie), your bike is now pre-disastered!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #13 of 28 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 12:31 am

Glad your OK take it easy for a few & get the bikes front end checked out before riding it again.

BTW. the movie: "The World acording to Garp"

Scott

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #14 of 28 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 6:21 am

Hawg,
glad you came out as well as you did!! Did the bike feel ok after you proceeded to head home? Man upstairs was watching out for you!

looking around for a possible replacement

2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!

CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!
post #15 of 28 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 6:41 am

Praise the Lord, Dave!!!! Happy to hear that you are ok. Pray that the pain today and tomorrow will not be too bad.

God bless:

Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #16 of 28 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 7:01 am

Good grief, Dave, I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal. I suppose those sore muscles are really gonna screw up that new golf swing I just built for you. All that work and effort now down the drain--dang!!

Seriously, I know you hurt this morning but thankful that you are not any worse. Where 'bouts did ya learn those riding skills, Vern??
post #17 of 28 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 7:06 am Thread Starter

Awwwwwww....shooooot...time to get up again at 3:30. Take the cage to work and bam! it is 8:05am just like that! Dang I need a chiropractor...er, or a shrink?

Anyhoo, John and Chick, the LT is absolutely fine now that I washed the deer stuff of it. Mirror got run over by a car...gotta order one now. Bell's still on and everything works like before except for me and Bambi. Heh heh heh.

Rode by the site this morning and blood and guts everywhere! Just glad they weren't mine.

Anybody know if BMW makes a cape? Would the Adventure be a better ride for deer country on the road? Sheesh.
post #18 of 28 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 7:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryR
Good grief, Dave, I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal. I suppose those sore muscles are really gonna screw up that new golf swing I just built for you. All that work and effort now down the drain--dang!!

Seriously, I know you hurt this morning but thankful that you are not any worse. Where 'bouts did ya learn those riding skills, Vern??

Hold on now...you ain't gettin off that easy! No excuses, we DO have a golf date set right? Besides, I'm goin to the range tonight with a Sharpie. Gonna draw Bambi faces on at least a dozen balls and hit the snot out of 'em! I am ready to play!!!!
post #19 of 28 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 7:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg

Yep, just got in from a late ni
Airborne!!!!!!
landing!
Pain in my back!
Tank-slapper!

Hold on!!! More silence!

Then, CRASH!!!! My right mirror broke from it's tether and crashed to the pavement at 50mph.

So, what lesson did I learn?

Not sure if I learned anything other than how stable an LT is and how safe the design of the motorcycle really is compared to my Harley. But I will say one thang....

that's how i felt when I hit the big assed pothole in NYC, man i thought I was a gonner! although it did do like 4500 in damage to the bike I was abler to ride it home, and I did not go down, the bestest part of the whole dang affair!

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #20 of 28 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 7:41 am

Glad you are ok! You are a lucky man. Sure says something about the LT don't it? Oh and you must be a hell of a rider!

Scott
post #21 of 28 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 7:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up

Happy to hear that you survived this "close encounter of the venison kind"!

Now go get yourself one of those "roadkill" decals to put on your bike -- like the WW II pilots did on their aircraft. Saw a recent post that included a link, but I'm sure Google could help you with that. You earned it!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #22 of 28 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 9:58 am

wow .... great story, and well told. congrats on dodging a bullet.

i suggest you get your bike closely checked by a dealer, just to make sure everything is cool.
post #23 of 28 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
wow .... great story, and well told. congrats on dodging a bullet.

i suggest you get your bike closely checked by a dealer, just to make sure everything is cool.

Thanks, Gerhard, will do that soon as I get the mirror ordered and on. Sure is hard to ride in traffic with no right mirror.
post #24 of 28 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 5:07 pm

Ron, after reading your post about the recipe for Venison I think I am hungry!

Hey, somebody go run over a deer and let's ship it to Ron and then we can all invite ourselves to his house for RTE/HDDC!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #25 of 28 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 6:17 pm

Moral of the story? The throttle is your friend.... when in doubt, gas it!

Dayem horned rats.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #26 of 28 Old Apr 13th, 2006, 3:08 am Thread Starter

Smile

Ya know...that danged avatar of yers is probably a purty good representation of how I managed to stay vertical!!! Wish somebody had a camera goin at that time!!! LOL....

Gas it indeed!!!! Woohoo!
post #27 of 28 Old Apr 13th, 2006, 7:00 am

I had venison chops last nite with red beans and rice...all in your honor!!

mmmmggoooddd....

with a little luck, it may have been that deer's relative if it makes you feel any better.....geo
post #28 of 28 Old Apr 13th, 2006, 11:23 am

Deer Strike

Where's Godzilla when you need him!

Glad you're ok.

Beady

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in