Garage Doors Opener - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

Garage Doors Opener

Hi All,
It's time to replace the garage doors at my home and I would like to replace the motor opener too. It's an old Sears there, and I was wondering what brand names are you guys happy to.
Also, I was wondering if there is any garage doors available who do not need the long arm with chain or belt.
My garage has a bean right in the middle going from one side to the other (yep. bad engenering) and the actual opener needs that long arm going under the beam. I would like to know if exist any motor I can put on the front, ritght on top of the door, working direclty to the spring door.
Thank you

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 4:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
Hi All,
It's time to replace the garage doors at my home and I would like to replace the motor opener too. It's an old Sears there, and I was wondering what brand names are you guys happy to.
Also, I was wondering if there is any garage doors available who do not need the long arm with chain or belt.
My garage has a bean right in the middle going from one side to the other (yep. bad engenering) and the actual opener needs that long arm going under the beam. I would like to know if exist any motor I can put on the front, ritght on top of the door, working direclty to the spring door.
Thank you
Darn it, Elton - I've got CRS again, butt I do remember that my neighbor, who is building his house, mentioned that his new garage door opener is gonna be just what you described. The motor and system installs right at the spring/bar location and does away with the chain and/or screw drive systems. I just cannot remember who the manufacturer is. Can't believe Genie or Sears would let somebody one-up 'em, so you might give those stores a call and see what they say. I think it might be a leetle more expensive than the older model openers - at least I didn't think about getting one after he told me the price. Good luck, Elton.
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 4:27 pm

Wall mounted door opener

Try this link to Wayne Dalton...http://www.wayne-dalton.com/DirectDrive.asps

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 4:41 pm Thread Starter

Thank you guys... you got it:

Looks like Wayne Dalton is the way to go.
At their web site looks like a great/perfect solution.
It's very expensive ($300)...
Any one here had experience with those openers? Are they reliable?

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #5 of 8 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 6:01 pm

Wayne Dalton is top quality. Back when I was in residential building, we used them all the time on our upper end units.... Great service and could possibly be a dealer in your area...
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 8:53 pm

For some reason my browser is only letting use the quick reply box.
Elton, I have the Wayne Dalton iDrive system in my garage and I love it. I had the entire door installed when the opener went in so I don't know about fitting it to an existing door. No floor sensors to mess with and not having the opener in the middle of the garage is a big plus. (Don't know where you'll hang your bungy cords though!) No more banging into that opener anymore and no more carpet hanging on it as a reminder. Really cleans up the look of the garage as well. There were some problems with the reliability of the early models - something about the drive not being strong enough - that that is supposedly solved now. (Now why does that sound sooo familiar?) I have had mine for over a year and no problems so far. Great show off item as well. I dragged several neighbors over who thought I was crazy showing it off, but once they saw it they thought it was really cool!
Although pricey, my recommendation is to have it installed by someone who will warrenty their work. Most likely the unit will not be the problem but the installation, door balance, and general setup. Just my opinion.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 10:20 am

I bought my doors and openers from a commercial door dealer in Columbus. He both services and installs doors (although I installed my own).
He talked me out of those types of openers for residential doors. He claims he has over a 50% failure rate during the warranty period as opposed to Genie's screw drive system with less than 3%.
Your call, but I chose the screw drive. Of course I do not have your obstruction to overcome.

my .02
kd
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 12:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbell
I bought my doors and openers from a commercial door dealer in Columbus. He both services and installs doors (although I installed my own).
He talked me out of those types of openers for residential doors. He claims he has over a 50% failure rate during the warranty period as opposed to Genie's screw drive system with less than 3%.
Your call, but I chose the screw drive. Of course I do not have your obstruction to overcome.

my .02
kd
An acquaintance of mine (installs garage doors and openers fulltime, self-employed; this is all he does) quit installing the Wayne Dalton iDrive (if that is what it's called). Reliability issues, etc. If those have been worked out, great.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in