After an Accident / To Ride or not to Ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 8:22 pm Thread Starter

Question After an Accident / To Ride or not to Ride

As many of you know I was taken down on Superbowl Sunday (search keyword I-80) by a girl weaving in and out of traffic. I'm just curious how many of our forum members have been in an accident, suffered serious injury, and continued to ride. My love of riding and stubborn nature has me saying I'll ride again, but my accident was such a "needle in the haystack" occurence, ex. open road, highway speed, no traffic or intersections, hit from the left rear, that it has me wondering how others in similiar situations made their decision to ride or not to ride again.

P.S. I am recovering well (ankle reconstruction) but do not expect to be able to ride this summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 8:35 pm
TMH

I took on my left turner in 1995. Only doing about 35 MPH when he pulled in front of me - THEN STOPPED! No way I was going to evade, and the brakes on a Kawa KZ650... well they were called brakes anyway. I hit him just behind his right front tire, just after I initiated a launch off the bike. He watched my legs go across his windshield as I vaulted over the car.

I got a ride to the hospital with AMR. He got a ride of his own. He was just out of jail for driving (2 times before?) with a suspended license. Did he have a license or insurance this time? Good guess. He went back to the Gray Bar Hotel for a little longer stay, I was told.

I got off pretty well. Both shins torn up, broken collarbone, broken right wrist. Even though this was well before CA's mandatory helmet law, I was always a believer in helmets when riding, and even when bicycling. The full-face is probably what came down and broke my collarbone as I was flying, but the noggin was O.K., and that is all that mattered.

Didn't ride at all after that. Even felt weird in my Toyota PU, as the shoulder belt went right across where my collarbone was broken. Did a lot of bicycling (street and dirt) in the intervening years.

Until the bug bit again, and I bought the RT-P last year, 10 years after "the accident." Just felt ready again, and haven't looked back (except for when I am about to change lanes).

Anyway, a real personal decision. I find that my riding is very different now than it was in 1995. I was never a lane splitter, but I find myself in less of a hurry now when on the bike. And I just go along figuring that everyone else I share the road with is going to attempt to kill me at any moment. Not one close call yet in the last year, and I commute daily in the Silicon Valley!

Only you can make the call when or if it is the time to get back onto a bike, as only you have lived through your ordeal. The time became right for me - but not right away.

Good luck,
Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #3 of 41 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 9:01 pm

I haven't required hospitalization but I have broken my collar bone, tweaked my back pretty good and ground enough meat off my knees to prevent sleeping or walking for an extended period of time. I got back on my bike as soon as I was physically able (actually too soon a couple of times), in fact I rode home with the broken collar bone (didn't trust the tow truck with my bike).

Last edited by mjordans2000; Apr 9th, 2006 at 10:23 pm.

post #4 of 41 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 9:37 pm

Time will not only heal bones but your thoughts on riding again. My suggestion is to cross the bridge when your well enough to actual ride.
post #5 of 41 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 9:40 pm

I've totaled two bikes. One Magna and one RoadKing. First time I went ten years w/o riding....not from apprehension but just wasn't convenient. Always wanted to ride again tho. Bought the RK and made a mistake and it totaled out. Two months later had the LT. Bad luck usually hits me but I'm gonna ride 'til I can't anymore.....one way or another. Yes...it's that important.

Reido

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #6 of 41 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 9:49 pm

In 1978 I tried to put a Suzuki 750 in the back of a Rambler with out a ramp. That am I brought home my wife and new son. After a long talk with the wife she asked me not to ride till the kids are grown. Well our youngest is 22 and I have been riding for a year now. We took the MSF class before we got the bike, mostly for her I said, I learned more than I ever dreamed from the class. Over 20K miles on the bike. A couple of close calls, but I saw them coming and started evasive manuvers before anything could happen.

All in all it is up to you, though, to ride or not to ride.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 41 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 9:50 pm

ride or no ride

I had a bad car wreck march 3rd. 2006. Well you could say it knocked the crap out of me. No broken bones but hurt like heck.

I was driving my kids 92 toyota MR2 that was tricked out for drifting. Steered like a go cart. Well around a fairly sharp turn I went side ways at about 45 or so then hit a telephone pole. I do not know exactly why I went sideways but I did. I can normally take this corner in my truck or car at 50 and on the bike at 60.

I hit the pole dead a ahead. pole went all the way to front axel line. I was not wearing a seat belt. He had a 5 point harness and at 5:30 AM going for breakfast I did not feel like figuring it out to go to breakfast. Eh yeah I will rethink that next time.

The last 2 bike rides in the past week were short ones and I really have had some second thoughts about agressive riding. Pain SUCKS

I will still ride no matter what. Unless I am not phsically able to.

Ultimately YOU must decied. Not us I would recomend going slowly to re-acclimate your self if you feel ok to do so and want to. Do not let us talk you in to doing things you are not ready to.

There is a lot to be said for getting back on the horse that just kicked you off, but it your hide not ours.

Hope you heal well

Mike G
Northen Illinois Packer Fan
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker
post #8 of 41 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 11:09 pm

Well, I have been hanging out on this fine forum for a while and never posted before, but, this is a tough question to answer unless you've had the big one.

I have been ridng since I was 13, I'm now 52. In 1990 I was hit from behind on I-4 in Orlando, FL by a hit & run driver, broken shoulder (scapula and clavicle) 3 broken ribs, punctured lung. I got the bike back from the wrecker service, replaced the plastic and took my first ride 5 weeks later.

Last May 26 I was on the way home from Oregon when a young lady in Ely, NV decided to purchase my Kawasaki Voyager, handlebar hooked my left thumb and relocated it to my wrist. After surgery, the doctor told me to stay off the bike for 12 weeks. I almost made it.
On August 20 I located my LT in Austin, TX, flew there from Oklahoma City and rode it 400 miles home.
This year I will cross the 500,000 mile mark on motorcycles. It is a hazardous sport, as evidenced by the passing of many riders of far greater skill than me. I will ride until I no longer feel comfortable on 2 wheels, then retire my leathers and enjoy a ton of fond memories.

To paraphase Spock: Ride Long and Prosper. My $.02.

Mike Riley
'03 Graphite Met
AMA, IBA
post #9 of 41 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 11:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandemCyclist
Time will not only heal bones but your thoughts on riding again. My suggestion is to cross the bridge when your well enough to actual ride.
JC: I believe Rick said it well. Everyone is different. Racing for a very long time (since 67), I have seen others "get back on" and do well. On the other hand, I have seen others ride with a fear that is worse than no fear.

You say you love riding; then follow your gut and move at "your" own speed.

Good luck
Mark
post #10 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 12:38 am

Indirectly, I've been struggling with this question too

I've been struggling with my motorcycle hobby since I picked it up 6 years ago. I've never been down, knock on wood, and like most of you out there, I can't afford to go down and wait for injuries to heal. Because I'm a fitness professional, even a minor crash with a few broken bones that heal badly would be very costly for me and those who depend on me. I've always worn a lot of protection, but I realize that it may not be enough.

I've owned 16 bikes in that time frame and ridden almost every day; averaging around 25K miles per year. I've read myriad books and watched countless items related to motorcycles and taken various classes; I'm a huge amateur enthusiast and this hobby takes up a lot of my spare time.

But... I have to say that I think I really appreciate my life and where I am now, so much so... that I don't think I'm willing to pay the price of an accident anymore and I'll be "selling out" soon.

I have other lesser hobbies and they're going to have to take up the spare time. I will miss the bikes and I'll have a full life without the riding and various motorcycles sitting in the garage, but... I'm not willing to risk it all for the ride anymore. I have too much to lose and I never was fond of gambling.

Simply put... there are too many people out there not living up to their potentials and I don't want to be just another one of their mistakes.
post #11 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 6:13 am

10/04....35 yrs of riding and no accidents. Hit a deer broadside, cut him in half at 80MPH. Two riding creeds throughout my career. Never drink and ride...never violated that one, even once. Second creed, never ride after dark during the rut. Only the second time I violated that one and it cost me. Totally my fault, after dark, during the rut and too fast. Results..... broken right foot, broken shoulder, broken collarbone, eight broken ribs, punctured left lung and ruptured spleen. Other than that I was fine! Totaled the 05 LT. Ended up in the median of the freeway. Two days later, as I lay in ICU I had some doubts about riding again.

Results.....five months later I swung a leg over my new LT. Eleven months later, back to running my four miles a day with seven screws in my foot. For me, riding is a passion, a part of my life. I can't imagine a life without it. I suspect that when I am too old to swing a leg, I'll be riding a trike. The question you ask is a personal one.......only you can make that decision. YOU will know what to do, given the time to think about it.

Dick
post #12 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 6:29 am

I totalled my FJR1300 in Holland last September, totally my fault, ran into the back of a biker mate at 25mph. I'm still dealing with all the hassle, increased premiums etc.
First accident in 32 years.
Bike was written off, it was home before I was !!!
I was on crutches for 6 weeks and still off work with a non-union collar bone break (bone sticking out the shoulder)
BUT I had my new LT in the garage within 14 days of coming off, recently put a few thousand miles on it, and have a 10 country trip planned for August.

Bottom line is, GO for it, or you will regret not doing it later.
post #13 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 6:32 am

After 30 years of accident free riding on 12-18-04 I was T-boned by a deer totaling my brand new (two weeks old) 05 LT. I was in intensive care for three days with a skull fracture and the usual broken ribs & clavical and tore up knees. The question I am asked most often about the accident is "Was it hard to get back on the bike?" For me it was not, it was actually just the opposite. Thinking about getting another new LT and getting back riding helped speed my recovery. Although I love riding more now than ever, I think this issue is a personal thing. Some will be comfortable riding asap others may have to take it slow and some may decide to hang it up, just do whatever is right for you.
post #14 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 7:10 am

My only real motorcycle accident was years ago on a Suzuki GT750. I just hit a curve too fast and lost it. My brother was on a Yamaha 750 right behind me and he lost his too. I landed on my head and had a slight concusion. My brother took off his windshield with his nose and dislocated his shoulder.

Right after the accident I said I was done riding. I wound up riding my brother's bike to the hospital and then home to get a trailer for my bike. By the time I got home I knew I was going to keep on riding. It wasn't the bikes fault-it was mine.

Riding is always a risk-but so is life in general. It took me a bit of riding to get over the accident. When I would take a right hand curve I could feel me tense up a bit for a few months. I had no such problem with left hand curves. You don't want to forget any accident but you can't let it hold you back either.
post #15 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 8:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada
As many of you know I was taken down on Superbowl Sunday (search keyword I-80) by a girl weaving in and out of traffic. I'm just curious how many of our forum members have been in an accident, suffered serious injury, and continued to ride. My love of riding and stubborn nature has me saying I'll ride again, but my accident was such a "needle in the haystack" occurence, ex. open road, highway speed, no traffic or intersections, hit from the left rear, that it has me wondering how others in similiar situations made their decision to ride or not to ride again.

P.S. I am recovering well (ankle reconstruction) but do not expect to be able to ride this summer.
Nevada: Hope your healing process is free of complications. I broke my hip joint (Acetabular - I think) last June in a ATV high side in which the Honda Foreman decided to follow and pounch on me. Healing is a pain! Though this accident was not the same as yours there are some similiar risk mitigation factors.

Bottom line: If you truely love to ride and you live in such a great place to ride...your decision to ride again may not be all that tough.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Brother!

v/r
post #16 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 8:07 am

Hope your recovery is quick. Me, I almost killed myself in 1980. All my fault and almost my last ride ever. Took me a few years but I missed it too much. Grew up a little and ride a lot smarter. When the time comes if you have any doubts I would say no. Otherwise go for it. Life is short and I love to ride.

Scott
post #17 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 8:38 am

A slide down the asphalt at 70 mph with my triumph on top of me...............
I was younger then and healed faster..........
Time forgives all...........

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #18 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 9:01 am

Quote:
(. I'm just curious how many of our forum members have been in an accident, suffered serious injury, and continued to ride.
My wife and I were on a little vacation going to Arkansas October 17,2000 on out Harley Ultra with my Gold Wing buddy right behind me. We slapped the back of an 18-wheeler @ 70mph. Long story shory, we both have an IM rod in the right leg, many other broken bones and I have a blood clot problem from all the surgeries.
Three years later, I was on a VW trike and in December 2005 I adopted a 2002 K1200LT. Most of my friends and family are still freaked out but they all know it's what I do. It is my only hobby (way of life) and it is also the only vehicle I have. Mama has a car for family trips and she even rides with me.
Give it time and start off slow. You can do it.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #19 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 9:19 am

Thumbs up Ride Again?

I hit a deer going about 45mph and was ejected over the handle bars. Landed on my head and left shoulder. Broken collar bone, broke shoulder blade in three places, broke three ribs. I thought I was done. My Wife said NO more bikes. Spring came and I started to get the jitters. I begged and the NO changed to no so I bought a new RT. It's been 5 years and now my wife tours with me and also rides her own bike. I still get the eeebeeejeeebees every once in a while and find it hard to ride. The frustrating thing about riding a bike is that you can be a great rider and make no mistakes and still get wiped out by a fool who just screws up for a 1/4 of a second. I ride with joy but also a healthy amount of respect for the risk. You don't have to decide today what your biking future is. Take it a day at a time. You will know what to do.

Jim Andrews
Woodland, MN
2003 K1200 LTE
2014 Honda NC700X DCT
2010 Aspen Classic Pop Up Camper

Last edited by JK75RT; Apr 10th, 2006 at 9:27 am.
post #20 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 9:29 am

I have had three bad accidents, the first one in 2000 totaled my first LT, the second one should have totaled that one ($16,000 repair), the third one did total it.

First time I was hospitalized two weeks, three fractured vertebrae, 4 broken ribs, shattered shoulder. I had a new bike in the garage three weeks before I could even sit on it. Dealer delivered it for me.

Second one in 2001, a pickup swerved over and took me out in Arkansas, broke my arm, and I trucked the bike back to San Diego with a full cast on the arm. Made driving that truck fun!

Third one Nov.. '04, I went down on I-8 near Gila Bend, AZ, 80+ MPH. Bounced and tumbled down the highway like a rag doll for about 75 yards according to a witness. Broken ribs again, and shattered bones in my left hand.

If the wife would not get so upset with me, I would already have another LT. Just crazy I guess. I sure do miss it! (All but a few seconds.)

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Last edited by dshealey; Apr 10th, 2006 at 9:37 am.
post #21 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 5:08 pm

Toughest question a "real biker" will ever face. I have to admit that I've never faced it. Worst bike damage I've managed was a 6 week vacation from work for a dirt bike crash (but that's what they're for....right).

Last Biketoberfest a close friend was followin' me out of a restaurant to a U turn on US-1. Both he & I checked the traffic. I went to the turn around & checked both ways a second time. He pulled out with *plenty* of room & crossed into the unused left lane. Turn signal on, brake light lit, & doin' 'bout 10mph at the beginning of a left turn a teen in mommy's Mercedes passed the pickup in the right lane & rear-ended him at about 60. I caught the impact in my peripheral vision. I was sure he was dead!

He survived with miraculously few injuries. At Bike Week I loaned him a bike. His new Road Glide has since been delivered, but we talked about quitting after his accident. He thought about it but decided he wanted to ride too much. I told him I would have understood, but was glad he made the decision he did. In the end, only you can answer the question. Everyone else has to just accept *your* decision.

Heal quickly, & do what's right for you.
post #22 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 5:33 pm

Quote:

well if your hurt bad enough ya give it up, that is until your out of the wheel chair and able to use your arms and legs after they put these nice titanium rods and pins in you and about two - three years of recovery.

Seriously if your not comfortable getting back in the saddle then don't, no one can say a word about it, if they do they are idiots

Tom (been there BAD)

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #23 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 5:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATFLT
My only real motorcycle accident was years ago on a Suzuki GT750. I just hit a curve too fast and lost it. My brother was on a Yamaha 750 right behind me and he lost his too. I landed on my head and had a slight concusion. My brother took off his windshield with his nose and dislocated his shoulder.

GT 750 as in the Water Buffalo?

that was my first street bike........

Tom

Tom

post #24 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 5:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinks
Toughest question a "real biker" will ever face. I have to admit that I've never faced it. Worst bike damage I've managed was a 6 week vacation from work for a dirt bike crash (but that's what they're for....right).
well back then(what about 1945?), dirt bikes were rigid and didn't have brakes!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm surprised jinks who is older than dirt can actually remember back that far

Quote:

Last Biketoberfest a close friend was followin' me out of a restaurant to a U turn on US-1. Both he & I checked the traffic. I went to the turn around & checked both ways a second time. He pulled out with *plenty* of room & crossed into the unused left lane. Turn signal on, brake light lit, & doin' 'bout 10mph at the beginning of a left turn a teen in mommy's Mercedes passed the pickup in the right lane & rear-ended him at about 60. I caught the impact in my peripheral vision. I was sure he was dead!

He survived with miraculously few injuries. At Bike Week I loaned him a bike. His new Road Glide has since been delivered, but we talked about quitting after his accident. He thought about it but decided he wanted to ride too much. I told him I would have understood, but was glad he made the decision he did. In the end, only you can answer the question. Everyone else has to just accept *your* decision.

Heal quickly, & do what's right for you.
Clink!

tom

Tom

post #25 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 6:29 pm

Thirty Five years of riding, 1 bike totaled (a out of towner missed her turn and decided to make a left hand turn, jammed on the brakes, with about 2 seconds notice). My fault still, I was following too close and enjoying the scenery in town instead of having my eyes where they should have been. Second accident, sitting at a stop light, heard the tires squeal, next thing I know I'm going over the back of the bike. Both times no serious injuries just messed up ribs and a lot of bruises.
Moral to the story, I know it's dangerous but I love the sport, it's the only real hobby I have. But knowing it's dangerous I still say a prayer everytime I get on the bike, not only for me but for all the people and animals I might come across. Mike
post #26 of 41 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 8:30 pm

well... it's hard to figure out. what we would do? i hope that i would have the same kind of class as this guy...

sitting there minding his own business getting ready to make a turn. two seconds later he's a parapalegic. man, that would suck.

--------------------------------------------
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124960
--------------------------------------------

Quote:
My number is up...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After 2 years and 25k miles on my trusty steed karma pulled my number last sunday.

i was slowing to negotiate a left hand turn off of a 2 lane road and was struck from behind by a young teen driver traveing appxox 65mph (in a 45). My speed was approximately 15mph and slowing, hyper lights going.

Long story short, i'm now parapalegic. T12 and L1 were crushed along with the spinal cord in the middle.

I'm heading to surgery today to fuse and reconstruct the physical support mechanism i need to at least be able to sit up in a wheelchair.

I believe in the power of prayer and would considerate it a great honor to be included in any prayers over the next few days.

Cheers,
Dale

---------------
'05 R12GS - in a wad
'04 LemFiddyGS - sold
'84 RM125 - sold
post #27 of 41 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 7:32 am

In 2001 I was riding a 96 r11RT and was rear ended by a kid in a pickup. The LEO estimated he was doing 50 mph. I was launched into a car coming at me from the opposite direction. I would not ever want to take a hit like that again. My Nolan full face was ground to powder, my Aerostich was also chewed up. Bike was totalled, but I was able to get up and walk to the ambulance.

The worst part was dealing with Allstate. They are a miserable company, with no sympathy for your plight. They care only about their own bottom line. They stalled and lowballed payouts. If I had it to do over, I would have turned the whole thing over to an attorney.

Took me about 3 months to decide to ride again. I still think about the wreck and get angry thinking about those empty suit bastards at Allstate.
post #28 of 41 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 3:14 pm

Wink To ride or not to ride that is the question!

I've been riding for 44 years with a 7 year gap for college and grad school
(couldn't afford a bike then). I've been down only three times in all those years averaging about 12,000 miles a year. Down 1st at 15 yrs. old .Hit a pothole and was thrown 67 ft over the handle bars onto the pavement ( abrasions only). Next at 17 yrs an old lady pulled out in front of me and she ended up with a bid dent in her door ( from my front wheel), I ended up on the other side of her car, on the pavement with everything aching but no broken bones! The 3rd down was two weeks after I got the LT. I slid 30 feet on the LT's side down the pavement ( hit a greasey patch)stayed with the bike and ended up with a "lateral whiplash" that still hurts after a year and a half of healing. Now , to answer the question. I never once ever thought about not riding! I wear the right gear, I assume everyone is going to run over me all the time, and I pray before riding that the Lord will protect me and my family if the my time has come. I feel safer riding my bike than I do eating red meat or drinking public water. Life is short...have faith...let the BIG GUY take control of the handle bars! Ron Ray
post #29 of 41 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 4:59 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies

Like I said in my original post, I believe I will keep riding and can't wait to have that new LT in the garage. I appreciate all the replies and will look for new posts as others weigh in. I prayed before riding that day and also donned my riding equipment, both actions (divine intervention & great motorcycle gear) are the only explanation as to how I only suffered the injuries I did. Be careful out there and I'll see you soon enough!
post #30 of 41 Old Apr 13th, 2006, 3:33 am

I'm still going to physical therapy from getting hit last July. While I still have more healing to do, I can't wait to ride again. The only thing that would stop me from riding is my wallet not cooperating enough. I need to get back to work first. You don't have to prove anything to anybody,(including yourself). Just go with your gut and you'll know what's best for you.
Best of luck to you and God Bless,
Jeff
post #31 of 41 Old Apr 13th, 2006, 10:35 am

Quote:
Like I said in my original post, I believe I will keep riding
A wise choice. It is a tough thing to consider. I had my boo-boo over five years ago and still walk with a limp...but I walk. I can never run again but...I never ran before. All I know is I am happy ridding and my wife even got back on and she is enjoying the bike also. Happy wife = happy life.

Good luck.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #32 of 41 Old Apr 13th, 2006, 10:55 am

Quote:

Ahhhh. The big question.

Well, lessee now, I went down on a Harley Ultra and still walk with a limp. Sold the Harley and bought the LT. No drops or crashes but a LOT of near misses. Most recent was this week when I qualified and earned my latest title... a Certified DJ....(Certified Deer Jumper). See current post in Chit Chat for details.

That being said, you need to listen to that leetle voice we all have. You know the one. It is the same one that wuz telling me to watch for deer all the way home the other night. Trouble wuz, I mis-interpreted the voice and was looking for deer running in front of me, not lying down below my headlight coverage!!! Doh!

That same voice can be heard about riding in general. Do you or not? Only YOU can hear that voice but you must be in tune with it. Then, when you make a decision you will know it wuz the right one.

BTW, everyone has opinions. And certain anatomical parts that are similar but unique to others (ahem....belly buttons). So, who do you listen to? Do you take a poll? Nah...go with yer leetle voice.
post #33 of 41 Old Apr 13th, 2006, 1:54 pm

Talking Ride

My friend, My first crash, I was almost frontended by a 75 year old woman who told the judge I was a hazard and she came over to my side of the road to teach my a lesson. That's right, on purpose. Stone walls hurt like hell and road rash was more painful than broken bones. To ride again after that was hard. I decided the motorcycle was not at fault and was not the real danger. The real danger was in my head. I refused to let fear prevent me from doing something I most truly loved. Getting back on a bike was a real heart thumper, but I have not regretted it. That crash was in 1971. Fear is the real killer, overcome it, do it dispite it. Don't let fear win. Don't let yourself down. Don't quite.
post #34 of 41 Old Apr 13th, 2006, 2:15 pm

Playing devil's advocate here:

The majority of the people on this list are going to tell you to make a come back and ride on; "don't let fear get the best of you"; "you will regret it"; "it's worth the risk because I'm so passionate about riding". While those who disagree with this philosophy, no longer frequent this forum, because they found another hobby. Certainly not a impartial jury here.
post #35 of 41 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:56 am

Been lucky, no major crashes. First one was on my RD50 in 1974 looking where my buddy in front of me was going, hit a curb, broke my nose (did not know it at the time).

Second crash in 1979, applied too much front brakes on my 750 Suzuki on a wet road and the bike slid out under me. Not much damage to bike, none to myself.

Third crash (remember the no alcohol rule) in 1981 on my 1100 Suzie, had about 3 beers and my cousin on the back. He was drunker than I was and shouted "wheelie it". Flipped it over backwards. Gear lever went in my left leg on the inside, zipper of my boot broke off and was about 2 inches deep on the outside and had to be dug out. No bones broken, damage to bike was minimal, handle bars and a little scrape on the exhaust pipe. Amazing considering it flipped over backwards, but then, it fell on me instead of the road!

Fourth crash in 1986 (remember the no alcohol, even if you are sober avoid friends who are not) at a bachelors party, I did not drink at all, but got rear ended on my ZX10 by a drunk friend on the way to a stripjoint! Total damage $1200, paid by drunk friend as he did not want to get insurance company involved.

Fifth and most serious crash was in 2001, when an illegal alien with no driver's license, no insurance and suspended tags in a big pickup truck skipped a stop sign right in front of me. I had a choice, hit him or do a controlled crash. I yanked the bike as hard as I could, and slid down the road a good 30 yards. It was in Phoenix in September, and I was only wearing a cotton shirt, had some serious road rash on my arms, but once again, no bones broken. None of the other crashes ever made me think twice about getting back on a bike, but I had a close shave just a week before, and I decided to stop commuting on my bike to work. It did make me a little gunshy, as I had almost 15 years between that and my last accident and thought I was experienced enough. I still ride for pleasure, and just bought an LT, so we will see how it goes.

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #36 of 41 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 12:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar
I had a choice, hit him or do a controlled crash. I yanked the bike as hard as I could, and slid down the road a good 30 yards.
What about the most obvious choice, brakes. How could you skid to a stop in 30 yards but not brake to a stop even sooner?

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #37 of 41 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 1:18 pm

Never had a really serious accident insofar as injury to me though it did total the bike, but that was way in the dim dark past (1970) and was my own fault. Had a few get-offs since then and been hit twice from the rear at a stop, but after each event I couldn't wait to get back to riding.
Recently I suffered another non-motorcycle related event that nearly killed my rding career, an inflamation and infection of the right nerve bundle leading to the balance center and auditory input of the right ear. It took me nearly two months to learn to walk without falling or bumping into walls and not getting disorented when turning my head but that only made me all the more determined to get back on the bikes! When the doctor talked about getting me back on my feet, I advised him that the real priority wasn't walking, it was RIDING!! Its a bit more of a challenge now, as the loss is perminant but I'm back in the saddle and have learned to compensate. perhaps that's not the same as having an accident, but hopefully it will inspire. Once you've been bitten by the motoring bug, very few I've ever known have given it up. perhaps for a while, but eventually.... you find yourself back in saddle wondering why you EVER stopped!

RM

I ride because I look funny walking!
post #38 of 41 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 4:17 pm

I've had my face sewn up for a couple hours in the ER, road rash scrubbed (minor), right elbow surgery, have had nothing but trouble with this tear duct after the face sew-up (3 surgeries, 3 tubes, including a tube now with a stint for good measure), had the ends of my fingers blown off from impact on the way to work one day, hit a van and dislocated my left thumb (the joint is still the same bigger size after the crash) totalling my bike....typically hit about 2-3 cars/year commuting...

I tell you, I had enough. After thousands of miles, 15k on one bike alone, commuting to work for 5 years straight, taking 10 day, 650 mile road trips each year, I quit mountain biking.

Kids got older, I bought bikes with motors..again. No motorbikes (that I owned) from 1972 until 2001. I have close to 200k miles on the bikes since 2001. I've low sided twice, no injuries worth mentioning (one fat-ass from impact, thats about it). No accidents, no injuries motorbiking.

If I could, I'd sell the motorbikes and return to mountain biking. It hurts a lot more these days but I still like it enough to live on one if conditions permitted.

I think staying safe is a matter of perspective and daym good luck (ok ok, add SOME riding skills to the equation). I have no other explanation cause the way I ride sometimes and the miles I do (1k/week), I'm a little surprised I've run this long

Do what makes you feel best, you owe no one nothing regarding your decision to continue riding, other than possibly your immediate family.
post #39 of 41 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 6:48 pm

I will ride as long as I feel the call

Accident or no accident, I will ride until I lose the passion. However, I can understand that an accident can be a good way to do that. I went 20 years without a bike and now I wonder how I did that. I love driving the LT but I know the risks. As long as it brings me joy, I'll ride.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #40 of 41 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 1:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
What about the most obvious choice, brakes. How could you skid to a stop in 30 yards but not brake to a stop even sooner?
It was a choice between braking and hitting his right side door because he was so close, or violently changing direction and avoiding the truck, but putting it down. I'd rather slide on the pavement than hitting a solid object. I'm not one of those riders who believe in the rear brakes only, if I could have braked I would have. I have stood my bike up on the front wheel only braking for objects.

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #41 of 41 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Garage
ride on...but at your own pace

It took me 3 years after my "bad one" to ride again. In fact, I purchased a bike w/o even test riding it (I was scared I'd chicken out) to force myself back on a bike. I missed it so much, yet I was sick to the stomach over the deal. But that was 10 years ago and I'm still riding. I'm very pleased with my decision. That said, it was my decision. You'll have to make your own. . . and in your own, comfortable amount of time.

fyi, I still have my EKG printout of my flatlines in a scrapbook. Yeah, I'm not a quick learner.

Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in