Looking for a different Group Ride? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:21 pm Thread Starter

Looking for a different Group Ride?

I'm the New Road Captain of the BMW Motorcycle Owners of Cleveland club. I'm looking for some new ideas for group rides - not just the let's go from here to there ones. I have been on car road ralleys before that were sort of like scavenger hunts and had a lot of fun however that doesn't really seem to fit with motorcycling. It is really hard to read instructions and maps while riding. So, have any of you enjoyed some sort of ride that is different from the basic lets go here -then here -then here types? Gimme some ideas!

Mike Kiesel

Medina, Ohio
2000 K1200LT (Katerina)
"She's big and graceful - most of the time"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 9:52 pm

Do you mean lets go there and "do something" rides?
like Kinzua train? or an overnighter to cass for a screw drive train?
picnic at the blue hole, explore caverns? Jet express and explore the islands?

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 7:30 am

I have no experience with group rides -- yet -- as I am still in my first year of riding. That said, I'll be watching this thread to see what develops. Hopefully you won't mind some folks from SE of Columbus coming up your way to join in your fun. Not too many Great Lakes, Jet Expresses or such things our way, although we do have the Hocking Hills. If you haven't heard of that part of Ohio, think "Deal's Gap" -- but a lot closer. One hour SE of Columbus.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 7:47 am

Hello from Litchfield Ohio, just wanted too say hello too you guys in the Cleveland/Medina/Columbus area. Just purchaseda new 05 klt1200 after 25 years on a goldwing. Love to get out for a ride.

Later
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 8:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiesel
I'm the New Road Captain of the BMW Motorcycle Owners of Cleveland club. I'm looking for some new ideas for group rides - not just the let's go from here to there ones. I have been on car road ralleys before that were sort of like scavenger hunts and had a lot of fun however that doesn't really seem to fit with motorcycling. It is really hard to read instructions and maps while riding. So, have any of you enjoyed some sort of ride that is different from the basic lets go here -then here -then here types? Gimme some ideas!
The most fun I have ever had on a motorcycle was doing scavenger hunts, it's still quite doable on a motorcycle!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 6:34 pm

Dang: Only got a pair of 6's. Anyone got a full house???

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Two pair here. 3's and jack's.

Donald
NW Arkansas
2006 K1200LT Blackish sorta kinda
BMWMOA #124197
AMA #925041

The difference between committed and involved is like a ham and egg breakfast, the chicken was involved...the pig was committed!
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 9:09 pm

uh..what's a road captain?????

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #9 of 12 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 4:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
The most fun I have ever had on a motorcycle was doing scavenger hunts, it's still quite doable on a motorcycle!

Tom
How does a scavenger hunt work???? What are the rules?????
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 3:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
uh..what's a road captain?????
That's a wise man that sold his boat and bought an LT with the money.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #11 of 12 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 4:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
That's a wise man that sold his boat and bought an LT with the money.
uhh Sir you owe me a Keyboard!

Tom (that was funny!)

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 13th, 2006, 2:34 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
How does a scavenger hunt work???? What are the rules?????
It all depends on who set it up. I've done 12-hour endurance rallies where we had a huge listing of bonus locations and tasks, and you had to choose what you thought was the best route to make the most bonus points and get back to the start location in the time allotted. The Iron Butt Rally is similar, but lasts 11 days and can lead you anywhere in North America.

Of course you don't have to do big miles or multi-days to have some fun. The organizer can just find several fun and unique locations around the local area and make up a listing of bonus locations. Then the participants can head out and make their way to whichever locations suit them (or all locations, if the time and route permits).

Usually to collect a bonus you would go to a certain place and get proof that you were there. That can be a manned checkpoint (where they stamp your ride sheet), a unique building (take a picture), a historical marker or site (answer a question about when it was built, who built it, etc.), or a country store (get a receipt or maybe a local newspaper). At the ending location, the points are tallied and prizes are given out.

Note that the serious Long Distance Rallies can be quite competitive so most people ride solo. But a local ride can be as laid-back as you wish.

I've met some pretty great people, and been to some amazing locations that i never would have visited on my own.

There are also other options. A Poker Run usually has several fixed checkpoints, where each rider is given a playing card. At the end, you try and make the best hand that you can (or worst) to collect prizes. Some places charge an entry fee, and give cash prizes, but this can be considered gambling in some states so beware (like anyone's ever gonna get rich off of it).

Another option is a themed tour. Pick a theme (towns with trees in their name, or waterfall, lakes, and rivers, or consecutively numbered highways, or national and state parks) and see how many you can get to in a given time. These types of tours usually last several months and the proof (park stamps, receipts, or pictures) are usually verified at the end. Sometimes the organizers will hold a finishers banquet where folks can meet and swap stories.

Some of this maybe more than yiou wanted for a day-ride, but there are lots of options to choose from. Just enjoy the ride, whatever the purpose.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in