Ready to go for a ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 8th, 2006, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Ready to go for a ride

Last Sunday washed the LT, took it for a ride and put the cover on it, won't be able to ride for another week or so. Been having problems snoring so loud I'd wake myself and everyone in the house. Sleep study did not reveal apnea but I snored so bad they couldn't beleive anyone could do that without apnea so they repeated it, same conclusions.
Turns out I have (well had) a deviated septum, broke my nose a couple of times playing football and sticking it where it didn't belong. Last Tuesday went in the VA hospital and they straightened my nose, roto rootered my sinus, removed my uvula and removed a big chunk of my soft palate. Snoring problem is a thing of the past, everyone in my household including me can now rest peacefully at night. Talk about a sore throat, worst ever. Pretty good meds, don't want to try to ride while on them. Tired of ice cream. Splints come out this Thursday. Not supposed to lift anything over 8 pounds, extert, the usual for 2 weeks. Might show them and ride the LT to the hospital to get the splints out. Just now starting to feel human and thinking about a ride so must be on the road to recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 8th, 2006, 10:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
Last Sunday washed the LT, took it for a ride and put the cover on it, won't be able to ride for another week or so. Been having problems snoring so loud I'd wake myself and everyone in the house. Sleep study did not reveal apnea but I snored so bad they couldn't beleive anyone could do that without apnea so they repeated it, same conclusions.
Turns out I have (well had) a deviated septum, broke my nose a couple of times playing football and sticking it where it didn't belong. Last Tuesday went in the VA hospital and they straightened my nose, roto rootered my sinus, removed my uvula and removed a big chunk of my soft palate. Snoring problem is a thing of the past, everyone in my household including me can now rest peacefully at night. Talk about a sore throat, worst ever. Pretty good meds, don't want to try to ride while on them. Tired of ice cream. Splints come out this Thursday. Not supposed to lift anything over 8 pounds, extert, the usual for 2 weeks. Might show them and ride the LT to the hospital to get the splints out. Just now starting to feel human and thinking about a ride so must be on the road to recovery.
Hey, Gunny - good job on gittin' 'fixed'. I got nearly the same problem, and so does Cheryl, butt we're both outclassed by the paw print gang (English Bulldogs; with smashed in noses sound like thrust jets at ground level!!). Lately, we've taken to a temporary fix - Breathe Rights. Seem to help, butt we know it's not a real permanent solution. However, I've also taken to usin' 'em while riding on Toad. Someone recommended 'em and by golly, there is sumpthin' there. More oxygen, or easier draw? Dunno, just feels better.

Anyway, glad you've made life a lot more peaceful and quiet for all. And BTW, how in the world could you EVER tire of ice cream?!?! Ride safe when you're able to git back on board.
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sleep tight

I've been on the C-PAP machine now for some 10 years and I can still remember how nice it felt to get a peaceful nights rest. My brother went thru the sugery without success and has ended up on the C-PAP. The way he described the pain after surgery, it must have been HORRIBLE! Glad it is working for you.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Out Standing, Marine... Now, get yourself back in the saddle!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 12:44 pm

Gunny,

I just had my septum and turbinites rearranged this past Friday. He told me that pulling the splints is a painful experience and recommended that I double up on the pain meds when I go in for removal and also have someone drive me. Mine are coming out Wednesday morning--I definetly won't be ridng there.

Tim

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 7:36 am

Talking gunny

glad to hear your on the mend.i have BTDT it hurts. i am puzzled about one thing. being an ex-navy man i find it hard to belive that a marine would stick his nose where it did't belong.
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 8:15 pm Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrown
glad to hear your on the mend.i have BTDT it hurts. i am puzzled about one thing. being an ex-navy man i find it hard to belive that a marine would stick his nose where it did't belong.
In my younger daze.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in