HDMI Inputs and Outputs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 4:46 pm Thread Starter

HDMI Inputs and Outputs

We finally upgraded the old 250 pound TV for a new 60" flat screen and I'm already taking it for granted....

Just one problem, my Yamaha RX-V850 receiver (all speakers and surround sound) does not have HDMI inputs or outputs. Is there a way to adapt, or do I now need to upgrade to a newer receiver?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 6:11 pm

Re: HDMI Inputs and Outputs

I had the same problems, using my old Pioneer receiver, and just about everything now being HDMI was having to switch through different inputs on my TV and Receiver to use different devices.

I upgraded to a new Pioneer receiver with HDMI and legacy inputs, now all switching is done with the receiver! So much easier, and my wife does not get confused when switching between Satellite, DVD, Blu Ray, Wii, etc. when the grand kids are over. Plus, the new receiver upconverts SD inputs to 1080P output

My suggestion of course is to upgrade your receiver! Huge difference in the new units.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 20 Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 10:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
We finally upgraded the old 250 pound TV for a new 60" flat screen and I'm already taking it for granted....

Just one problem, my Yamaha RX-V850 receiver (all speakers and surround sound) does not have HDMI inputs or outputs. Is there a way to adapt, or do I now need to upgrade to a newer receiver?
Even if there were a connector you would not want to lose the HDMI quality (and convenience). Unfortunately you will have to bite the bullet and upgrade your receiver or do what I did and run HDMI to your new TV and then a separate digital audio to your receiver (no video to the receiver). I have done this as a stop-gap until I am ready to buy a new receiver, just holding out until HD radio becomes a bit more standard in receivers and cheaper - have it in my car and it is so much better, especially on AM stations no more crackle hiss pops.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C

post #4 of 20 Old Aug 4th, 2013, 4:23 am Thread Starter

Thanks Dave,

Seems like every upgrade that I do starts a chain reaction.... Oh well, HDMI compatible receiver, here I come. I did see what looks like a nice one on Craigs list that new sold for $1,800 and they are asking $350.00. It has 4 HDMI outlets. Probably not enough! I sure have lots of RCA cables.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #5 of 20 Old Aug 4th, 2013, 6:19 am

Had the same problem with the older Onkyo surround system, it didn't have the HDMI inputs to receive the sound.

I ran the HDMI cables from the source (directtv box) to the TV, then I ran the sound from the source to my Onkyo using a fiber optic cable, my sound quality is just fine.

If you have this option could save yourself a few bucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
post #6 of 20 Old Aug 4th, 2013, 6:24 am

Quote:
Thanks Dave,

Seems like every upgrade that I do starts a chain reaction.... Oh well, HDMI compatible receiver, here I come. I did see what looks like a nice one on Craigs list that new sold for $1,800 and they are asking $350.00. It has 4 HDMI outlets. Probably not enough! I sure have lots of RCA cables.....
Dano, good HDMI cables are expensive, just so you know all sources don't need surround sound.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
post #7 of 20 Old Aug 4th, 2013, 6:30 am

Dan, if you do decide to upgrade the new receivers are very easy to setup. I had an 11 yr old Denon that went belly up and the repair shop wanted $168 just for the transformer + labor. I found this Onkyo on Amazon for $338. And I added a wireless lan adapter for $28. It has a ton of hdmi ports, setup is on the TV screen, and now I can listen to Slacker radio through the receiver.

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #8 of 20 Old Aug 4th, 2013, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Greg - That looks like it will also handle my second "sound" system. I will check it out. It sure does have the inputs..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #9 of 20 Old Aug 4th, 2013, 8:24 pm

I got the Pioneer SC-1222-K, 7 HDMI inputs, and converts SD to 1080P output. It won't be true 1080P, but it does a really nice job of "filling in" the missing pixels, making standard def look a lot better.

I also love the on screen setup and programming, and the automatic speaker/amp setup using a microphone. I also use the 3D pass through.

Get plenty of HDMI, since everything you will likely purchase in the next few years will be HDMI, until they come up with the next Industry Standard to make us buy everything all over.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #10 of 20 Old Aug 4th, 2013, 9:06 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNitti
Dano, good HDMI cables are expensive, just so you know all sources don't need surround sound.
Sorry Frank, but I really HAVE to stop you right there....

HDMI is a digital signal, it either works or it doesn't. ones & zero's, on or off....
there is absolutely no reason to pay a shit-load of money for expensive HDMI cables, that's just a way for retailers to make money.
Of course there's always an exception, and with HDMI or other video signal carrying cables there's usually limitations on length of run before needing some sort of signal amplification... but for MOST HOME USERS any sub-$10 HDMI cable will do the same job as a >$10 cable.

Just google "HDMI myths" or "HDMI fallacy" and you'll find numerous writings on this.
....and put your money into a better distribution amp.
We use an Onkyo in one of our smaller theatres at work in Sydney, and also in our LA office out at Warner Bros.... they work just fine.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #11 of 20 Old Aug 4th, 2013, 9:54 pm

Quote:
Thanks Greg - That looks like it will also handle my second "sound" system. I will check it out. It sure does have the inputs..
Denon AVR-3311ci or 3313ci

Great ,flexible AV receiver with lots of whistles and belle including 3 zones and Auyssey MultiEQ setup! 7.2 125 watts per channel and 7 channels, 2 subs & lots of HDMI

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #12 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2013, 10:22 am

Quote:
+1 on CWS' comments above with one caveat: often a higher priced cable (but not necessarily) is more flexible for easier routing and may have better sheathing for abrasion resistance and strength for yanking force if you have a particularly difficult access location - but these are luxuries which will not add to your viewing/listening pleasure.

Also, don't forget that HDMI carries the video too which only HDMI and DVI are capable of producing 1080p images, and only HDMI is capable of 3D data delivery.

If you get a new receiver, make sure that it is 3D capable / pass through, otherwise you will just be back in the same boat in a year when you want to watch a 3D movie. I would guess most are but just check.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #13 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2013, 10:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
Denon AVR-3311ci or 3313ci

Great ,flexible AV receiver with lots of whistles and belle including 3 zones and Auyssey MultiEQ setup! 7.2 125 watts per channel and 7 channels, 2 subs & lots of HDMI
3D Pass through is on board both

THERE ARE A FEW 3313 ON EBAY FOR $400 to $525

New they are now about $779.

this was a about a $1,200.00 unit and is excellent!

sound is crazy good and lots of on board services , Pandora, etc.

HD Radio,

post #14 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2013, 10:58 am
Old Dawg

Quote:
Very high quality HDMI cables are cheap if you shop at the right places because as mentioned they all carry the same signal and expensive ones are just snake oil.

I buy mine here: http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #15 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2013, 11:43 am

I was in the same boat a few years ago... or so I thought.

I had a good Onkyo receiver connected with lots of inputs... but the new blu ray player had only hdmi / optical digital output... not component like the old one.

I went out and bought a Pioneer VSX-1020k receiver with internet radio / on screen menus / microphone surround sound set up etc....and 6 hdmi inputs.

one on ebay now, $235.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-VSX-...item3a83687440

Then my brother says "why did you not just put the sound thru the Onkyo, and video direct to the tv" (that has 4 hdmi inputs) DOH! that would have saved $400!

now we have 5 remotes on the coffee table, one is a "smart" Logitech remote that my audio nut brother programmed... it works on most, but not all functions of each device.

the wiring is a lot cleaner with the hdmi cables, that is a plus.

amazon has some good hdmi cables for under $8 with great reviews, I like 3' cables to keep the runs neat behind the tv stand.

did I mention I have a nice Onkyo powering the garage music now?

Bruce - pilot, Belynda - pillion
Oak Park, CA.
'99 K1200LT Champagne, 28,500mi
'04 R1150R Silver, 18,900 mi
'12 R1200RT Beige, 28,400 mi (sold 4/19)
post #16 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2013, 12:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce60
...Then my brother says "why did you not just put the sound thru the Onkyo, and video direct to the tv" (that has 4 hdmi inputs) DOH! that would have saved $400!...
Your receiver probably does an automatic setup with a little microphone, in that process it will adjust the delay of each speaker in the configuration so that the sound hits the spot where you put the calibration mic at the same time. Light travels much faster than sound (as you know from seeing people that look smart until they talk) so your TV image gets to your eyes almost instantly, but your sound does not. If you have the audio and video going through your AV Receiver, the receiver will compensate for this and adjust the delay to sync with the image based on your setup location.

If you are 5 feet from the screen you won't notice a difference, but in my room I am roughly 15 feet from my TV screen and I can see lips moving before I hear words since I switched to HDMI direct into my TV and audio only to my receiver. Before I got HDMI and I was still running on component through the receiver everything was perfectly synchronized but now my receiver doesn't know that there is a video feed coming in so it just uses the delays calibrated by the setup.

It is possible to adjust the delay settings manually, but there is no way to delay that video feed if you aren't feeding it through the receiver.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #17 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2013, 12:58 pm Thread Starter

I appreciate all of the good input. I learn a little more with each comment.

3D is not really an issue. We do have it with the Samsung smart TV but I'm a real fan, yet. The only thing we'll have connected to the receiver will be a DVD player, the TV, cable box and maybe a VCR for old tapes. We do have speakers throughout the house and outside so a two speaker system A/B switch is necessary. The used equipment sure does depreciate quickly., but I'm used to that!..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #18 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2013, 1:18 pm

Quote:

3D is not really an issue. We do have it with the Samsung smart TV but I'm a real fan, yet. The only thing we'll have connected to the receiver will be a DVD player, the TV, cable box and maybe a VCR for old tapes. We do have speakers throughout the house and outside so a two speaker system A/B switch is necessary. The used equipment sure does depreciate quickly., but I'm used to that!..
There is generally not an A/B switch on the new A/V Receivers. Denon does this with Zones.

there is the Main Zone and Zone 2/3. I have 2 front Speakers and Center channel Speaker, A subwoofer and 2 rear ceiling speakers in my main zone.

On Zone 2 I have outdoor speakers on the deck. You cannot play digital sources through Zone 2/3 except that you can have the out door speakers (Zone 2) play exactly what the main Zone is playing without separate volume control.

I generally use my Samsung DVD player BDlive input to stream music and video from the web.

If I want to have zone 2 play something different or the same as the Main Zone but have separate volume control over the 2 zones, for example the Main Zone muted, or higher or lower volume and Zone 2 what ever volume I want then I use the Denon receiver NET/USB input on Zone 2 and use the DEnon on board input for TV sound/Pandora or any other input source onboard the Denon rather than the HDMI digital signal from the DVD player through the Denon as this defeats the ability to use separate volume control for the separate zones..

It sounds complicated, but once understood is easy and works extremely well. Just gotta have the correct input and output set. And you attach the Zone 2 or 3 speakers to the Surround Back/Amp Assign speaker output.

Last edited by Atomicman; Aug 5th, 2013 at 1:50 pm.
post #19 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Quote:

My pioneer has two zones, as many of the mid to high end brands do now. Not a hill of beans difference between the higher end Onkyo's, Denon's, Yahama's, Pioneer's, etc. All have something they do better than the others, none seem to be the "perfect" one. I researched heavily, and visited many forums before deciding on a new Pioneer to replace my old one. Not that I feel it is "better" than all the others, but just that the feature set vs. price fit my needs best at the time. I also like the Class "D" amplifiers, as they run cooler and use less power to produce the same speaker power output.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #20 of 20 Old Aug 8th, 2013, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

I ended up with a used Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH that was advertised on Craig s list for what seems to be a really good price. it's all hooked up and what a programming nightmare!

It has all of the inputs that I needed and there are a lot less wires than I needed on my older unit.

They really don't make it easy!

My last receiver was plug and play. Theses new ones are plug, PROGRAM and then maybe play.....

Luckily, the guy that I bought it from is quite knowledgeable and will help me get it fine tuned in a few days, I hope... He wants to dive with the sharks....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in