Google Earth... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 8th, 2006, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

Google Earth...

gotta admit, this is pretty cool. kind of puts our riding in a whole 'nother perspective when you can see how much of the earth you've actually traversed while on the road. My recent roadtrip from Chicago to Tijuana and back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 8th, 2006, 1:35 pm

Thumbs up

Great feature , In addition you can view places on Mapsource. Hit the View pulldown menue then view in google earth.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hey Dan.. things got kinda "fuzzy" over by the West Coast and the MX border.. hehe..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 8:35 am

Cool!

Looks like you may have gone fairly close to my stomping grounds here in NE Oklahoma - Bartlesville...

Yeah, Google Earth is cool...
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 9:04 am

I just recently discovered another neat thing on Google Earth. You can tilt the view down so you are looking out over the terain, then rotate it around. You can also "fly" around, at whatever altitude you wish.

We are looking at areas around Asheville and Knoxville to hopefully move to, and found that a really good way to see how the terrain around any home listed looks. We do want to be in or near mountains, as we will probably not find as nice mountain views as we are used to from our home here near San Diego.

I used to fly quite a bit, and have had fun the past few days "flying" around here, and it is remarkably like actually doing it. I also fly around prospective homes to move to. Makes a new area familiar even before you go there.

I wish they had the high resolution that some places have all over. We have nice detail here in the San Diego area, can see my old truck in the driveway, but Knoxville and Asheville are low resolution, cannot see individual houses even, except for maybe light spots in the trees.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 10:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I just recently discovered another neat thing on Google Earth. You can tilt the view down so you are looking out over the terain, then rotate it around. You can also "fly" around, at whatever altitude you wish.

We are looking at areas around Asheville and Knoxville to hopefully move to, and found that a really good way to see how the terrain around any home listed looks. We do want to be in or near mountains, as we will probably not find as nice mountain views as we are used to from our home here near San Diego.

I used to fly quite a bit, and have had fun the past few days "flying" around here, and it is remarkably like actually doing it. I also fly around prospective homes to move to. Makes a new area familiar even before you go there.

I wish they had the high resolution that some places have all over. We have nice detail here in the San Diego area, can see my old truck in the driveway, but Knoxville and Asheville are low resolution, cannot see individual houses even, except for maybe light spots in the trees.
Hey, David - like you, I'm enjoying that Google Earth thangie. (Thanks for posting that, Dan). David, I'm experiencing some fuzziness for the Boerne area and especially where our home is. At first I thought it might be my download equipment or procedure. However, we live in a very small subdivision and we're smack-dab in the middle of it and of the 30-some homes in here, I can only see one side of one street in high resolution - rest are blurry without any detail. Move outside the subdivision, I can see cowpies and deer scat!!

I wuz gonna try downloading the program on another leetle-used 'puter and see if thangs improve. Now that you've experienced the same situation, I won't waste time. Maybe Google will improve resolution with some upgrades or sumpthin'.

Laters - I'm off to git my pilot's license so I can barnstorm!! Thanks for that tip.
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 10:49 am Thread Starter

Dick - the answer could be (likely is) as simple as the fact that they have strips of highres photos for one area and not another. It is a straight-forward as splitting a sub division.

Yeah, I've been experimenting with the flying things too. You can load tracklogs from your GPS and then ask Google Earth to fly the route. It's pretty neat.
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 11:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrew
Dick - the answer could be (likely is) as simple as the fact that they have strips of highres photos for one area and not another. It is a straight-forward as splitting a sub division.

Yeah, I've been experimenting with the flying things too. You can load tracklogs from your GPS and then ask Google Earth to fly the route. It's pretty neat.
Yep, I think your right, Dan. I kinda thought that - after David's post. Least it doesn't show that my lawn needed mowed!!!
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
----------------------------------------
I wuz gonna try downloading the program on another leetle-used 'puter and see if thangs improve. Now that you've experienced the same situation, I won't waste time. Maybe Google will improve resolution with some upgrades or sumpthin'.
Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done, hardware wise. All the terrain you are seeing is a composite of thousands of satellite pictures taken over a pretty long time. Some areas have newer pictures that were taken by higher resolution cameras, many others are still pretty old pictures taken by older low resolution cameras. That is why you see good resolution in some areas, but much lower "across the street", you just found the boundary between high res and low res pictures.

I have seen the best resolution around larger cities, out in the boonies it is mostly pretty low res.. (unless the government had reason to look closer at some time )

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 8:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done, hardware wise. All the terrain you are seeing is a composite of thousands of satellite pictures taken over a pretty long time. Some areas have newer pictures that were taken by higher resolution cameras, many others are still pretty old pictures taken by older low resolution cameras. That is why you see good resolution in some areas, but much lower "across the street", you just found the boundary between high res and low res pictures.

I have seen the best resolution around larger cities, out in the boonies it is mostly pretty low res.. (unless the government had reason to look closer at some time )
Boy, you are right about the beeg cities resolution. I found the hotel where Cheryl is staying in Rome. She's gonna visit the Vatican on Easter Sunday, and the Sistine Chapel, so I managed to do the tilt thang and flew her down the street and around the corner where she needs to go to catch a tram and then we flew over to the St. Basilica thang. Told her if I could navigate inside the Chapel, she might as well cash in the travel tickets and spend as much time there as she wants. Hmmmm - didn't go over too good!!

I need a viewing time limit on that Google Earth site!! I see me losing some sleep while she's over there!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in