BMW recalls 90,000 motorcycles ? ! ? ! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 3:43 pm Thread Starter

Smile BMW recalls 90,000 motorcycles ? ! ? !

Anyone got the straight skinney on this MSN news story ?
[ http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12169559/from/ET/ ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 4:17 pm
rlv

Well, would you imagine that this might have a little something to do with my little incident.
Richard

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 4:26 pm

Is this really TRUTH...?
What happened to you?

Jeff Goodwin
Austin, Texas

"Life is a coin.
You can spend it anyway you wish,
but you can only spend it once."

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 4:39 pm

I think this relates to the ABS issues when the brakes are used a lot, such as in training courses. There have been some failures during training, when the brakes were used a lot in a short time. That is my bet about the recall. Wish it was final drive failures though.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 4:53 pm
rlv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I think this relates to the ABS issues when the brakes are used a lot, such as in training courses. There have been some failures during training, when the brakes were used a lot in a short time. That is my bet about the recall. Wish it was final drive failures though.
And you think that one does not use them a lot running thru the mountains?

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 5:04 pm
TMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlv
And you think that one does not use them a lot running thru the mountains?
Richard,

I don't believe that this recall relates to the issues you recently had. I agree with David that this is most likely a continuation of the BMW recall which occurred last year. Related to bikes with power (servo) assisted ABS brakes. Apparently there were some faults caused which resulted in REDUCED braking capabilities, which were found "during training exercises" which included low speeds and lots of brake activations. This was potentially running down the battery too much.

So in Germany (road safety laws more stringent?), they had a "recall" of about 80,000 bikes, for them to be brought into the dealer for "checking". I don't recall if I ever saw the service bulletin as to what the check would be.

So, IF this is a continuation of that situation, it relates to potentially too LITTLE brake capabilities (and maybe fault lights), but not too MUCH braking, as was potentially the issue in your case.

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 5:24 pm
rlv

OK, thanks for the info
Richard

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 7:00 pm

BMW only produced or (sold) about 85,000 bikes last year. So, the question is does the recall affect only this last model year or is it spread out over particular models for a number of years? Hmmmm.

As mentioned before, the failure issue on a few European bikes was directly related to the batteries being run down during specific, extended braking exercises where the batteries did not have time to recover. Not very likely in the real world. JMO.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
David, I think you're right. However, this site is way behind the times, or I didn't navigate thru it just right. I couldn't find mention of the ABS recall, butt maybe cuz it applied to the Euro crowd, it doesn't show up here?! Dunno. Looks like the last BMW recall here wuz in '04 related to the fuel lines?
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 9:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
... Looks like the last BMW recall here wuz in '04 related to the fuel lines?
My dealer recently performed a master cylinder recall on my '05 LT.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #11 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 10:07 pm

Integral ABS faults

Here is what I received from BMW Motorrad USA dated August 31, 2005,

Reference integral ABS

"We have learned that the ABS could be temporarily disables after a specific set of circumstances involving aggressive brake demonstrations or aggressive training. To our knowledge, this occurrence has only happened in the case of a repeated number of aggressive applications of the brakes in conjunction with a battery low and/or decreased voltage. BMW Motorrad USA has only seen this situation arise in the special environment of an ABS demonstration or in rider training where the application of ABS is being repeatedly and aggressively demonstrated.

While this situation is not known to occur under normal riding conditions, BMW Motorrad USA wants to be prudent and make specific reference to these circumstances in the Rider's Manual. Please read the enclosed supplement. The supplement is four pages.

They also offered to conduct a free inspection of my brake system. with the letter. Should you need any assistance call 1-800-831-1117 BMW Customer Relations.

Rusty Snyder
2002 K-1200LTC Silver
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 10:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Howard - that might be the one as listed in the 'recall' pages under the *Technical* drop down menu just below our banner. I'm still thinking that the 'motorcycle recall' website that I pointed to earlier is either behind the times, or is putting more emphasis on non-recall issues. I used to think they were pretty reliable - now I'm not so sure.

**Well - I'll be switched. Just checked that Motorcycle Recall webpage again, and there it is - the recall notice about the 90,000 bikes recalled for a potential brake problem. Guess I owe the owners of that website an apology - sorry guyz, I goofed.**

Last edited by Dick; Apr 5th, 2006 at 10:30 pm. Reason: Recall website IS updated.
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 11:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I got this here letter in my hand from BMW. Sez they found a problem where the ABS quits working properly after extended hard use and it was discovered during Police Training. They don't anticipate average riders experiencing the problem.

A month later they replaced my ABS pump assembly.....twice. Lonestar got-er done.

Looking forward to what's really going on...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #14 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 11:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

What recall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Dealer never mentioned the M. C. recall.. hmmm time for a cup of coffe

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #15 of 15 Old Apr 6th, 2006, 7:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Dealer never mentioned the M. C. recall.. hmmm time for a cup of coffe
It was brought to my attention when I had Motolights installed 3-4 months ago. "Oh, and while we had your bike to install the lights we went ahead and did the master cylinder recall."

Okeedoke!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in