Stolen Credit card number - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old May 31st, 2013, 9:40 pm Thread Starter

Stolen Credit card number

Well don't know how they got it but one of my cards was compromised. Fortunately it was caught early and I'm not held responsible for the charges. There was a simultaneous charge in Canada and Florida. One for a department store and one for gas. There was also a couple of $1 'test' charges. All in one day. The bank got a hold of me, with a 'robot' call I thought it was a phising call. So I logged into my account and it was asking me if the charges were legit. Then I called the account security number from the web page. They will send me new cards. Since I still had the cards in my possession I figure a clerk may have taken a cell picture of my card or a printed receipt got into the wrong hands. It was on my last trip since I only use that card for travel. Be on the look out.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 6:52 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Stolen Credit card number

Michael ,The same thing happened to my Company credit card last year. I always check that account 3 or 4 times a week as I use the card for everything work related, Gas, repairs etc. There was 3 charges that got approved before the bank caught it. Chase removed all the bad charges & with my help found out where the card number was stolen. I am very carful where I use the card, I use the same 4 or 5 gas station most of the time plus the same online & brick & mortar stores. Chase tracked it to a Truck stop in Waco Tx that I used the day before the first bad charge & found a clerk using a card skimmer in one of the gas pumps. Chase said they alone were hit with over $10,000.00 in fraudulent charges at that same place. I had a new card the next day & all is good now. Chase did say it was good that I had NOT used my debit card as it was harder to get those charges reversed cause the money is removed almost at the same time of the charge.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 7:39 am

Yup, me too, got a call asking me if I had just made a $140 purchase through E-bay of India with my debit card.
I'm still not sure where they got me but I suspect it was an Amazon purchase since I don't use the card often, I prefer cash.
Suntrust bank handled it well, caught it early, closed the account and sent me new a card in a few days.
You would think if the thieves are smart enough to know how to do that,
it would be easy for them to get a good paying job for an IT company

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #4 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 8:08 am

Unfortunately, this occurrence is so routine as to hardly warrant a post on the subject. The list of who it has not happened to is far shorter than those who have fallen victim.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #5 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 8:16 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Well don't know how they got it but one of my cards was compromised. Fortunately it was caught early and I'm not held responsible for the charges. There was a simultaneous charge in Canada and Florida. One for a department store and one for gas. There was also a couple of $1 'test' charges. All in one day. The bank got a hold of me, with a 'robot' call I thought it was a phising call. So I logged into my account and it was asking me if the charges were legit. Then I called the account security number from the web page. They will send me new cards. Since I still had the cards in my possession I figure a clerk may have taken a cell picture of my card or a printed receipt got into the wrong hands. It was on my last trip since I only use that card for travel. Be on the look out.
If one of the charges was at a gas station, I suspect that you fell victim to a "skimmer". As far as I know, you can't charge for gas with just the card number!

A "skimmer" is a slim device that the bad guy would picky-back onto a legitimate card reader. At a gas station pump, is one possible place. When you wipe your card, the "skimmer" copy the data, and that is used by the bad guy to create duplicate physical cards! You can look for a skimmer by examining where you swipe your card to make sure that there is nothing strange, like loose pieces or extra pieces in/on that swiper that you are going to use. If in question, don't use it and point it out to the owner of the place!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #6 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 8:57 am

Had a similar incident a few years back with a card, but the thing was I had only used the card one time, since then it had been in my safe. So I was wondering how the thieves got the number unless they breach the card service......never did get a straight answer from them but they credited my account for the purchases.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
post #7 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 9:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

I have a company AMEX card. A couple of years ago I got a phone call asking if I had made a 1st class reservation from Hong Kong to Zurich on Swiss air for $11K and change. There was an additional charge of $800 for Nike apparel.
They replaced the card via FedX the next day.

Made the mistake of ordering some cell phone accessories from a Hong Kong site.
I suspect that the HK police were at the gate waiting for the perp!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #8 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 9:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
Unfortunately, this occurrence is so routine as to hardly warrant a post on the subject. The list of who it has not happened to is far shorter than those who have fallen victim.
Most like likey true.

A while back I got the call from Chase, asking if I had recently become very religious? Well, not really the question, but somehow a "church' in Miami got a hold of my card number and had run up enough small charges to amount to over $10,000.

Not really a big deal because they reversed them and sent me another card. Probably a good reason to have at least two cards. Traveling without one can be difficult.

I was on my way to an airport for an out of town trip when a clerk cut my card in half. It had been mistakenly reported and the clerk had no choice!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 9:27 am

Fortunately have never fallen victim to this, but have received security calls about our company card which can be used in several places at the same time because we use it to pay infrequent vendors were we don't have an account and require payment prior to shipping. In Canada we have chip technology on our cards which is suppose to make the cards more secure because you enter a pin as well as needing the card. If we accept credit card payment for a phone order we are on our own as the bank will not accept any responsibility for payments made at our terminal were the card was not present and the pin entered.

Gerhard
post #10 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 1:52 pm

I have no PayPal account. But I have purchased a few items from online vendors who use PayPal as their CC service. Each time the account was compromised. I don't think it was then vendor but someone getting into PayPal. I no longer buy anything if they use PayPal.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #11 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 2:19 pm

Had same thing happen last year, the Friday night before Labor day. We were heading out for 2 weeks in N.M. the next Thursday. On Tuesday, I called my credit union's toll free number union's 24 number. They cancelled the multiple charges for wine, flowers, & 3 internet dating services. Total was almost $2K. They overnighted a new card to a motel we were staying at the second day of the trip. Never did find out how they got the number, as well as the 3 digit number on the back of the card that I always get asked when I order anything on line. When I order on line, I use a different card. Who knows how they git er done. Had a buddy with a massive line of credit in San Diego, get billed for over $25K worth of suspension, body & glass parts as well as a rebuilt engine for a BMW 7 series. The parts were sent to a vacant apartment in S. Dakota, & the contact phone was in another small town about 150 miles away, that was not a working number. He played hell getting that mess squared away.
post #12 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 2:25 pm

I am a believer in Paypal, never had a problem. I think the reason it works is that it separates your financial info from the vendor you may know little about. Most problems maybe all with Paypal are that the password is compromised. There are endless phishing sites that try to steal passwords so when entering your Paypal password you need to ensure you are on the Paypal site and not some fake site set up to gather usernames and passwords. The only problem I ever had was were a vendor tried to substitute product of lesser value for what I had purchased, the Paypal resolution process was straight forward and my funds were returned quickly.

Gerhard

P.S. I think your credit card info is in greatest danger when your card leaves your sight, the way most restaurants use to operate were you gave it to the wait staff and they disappeared for several minutes before returning with a slip for you to sign. Who knows what is going on for three minutes while they are processing the sale.

Last edited by gerhard; Jun 1st, 2013 at 2:32 pm.
post #13 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 5:07 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I guess I am on the short list as I have never had an issue. PayPal or credit/debit cards. The wife had a few cards (not all) stolen out of her purse in her office at the library and did not know until the bank called asking about an unusual purchase.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #14 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 5:41 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I have not had a credit card for almost 5 years now. I did get a debit card a while ago & keep no more than a $1000 in that account.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #15 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 6:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I have not had a credit card for almost 5 years now. I did get a debit card a while ago & keep no more than a $1000 in that account.
How do you book a hotel room?

Gerhard
post #16 of 21 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 8:25 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard
How do you book a hotel room?

Gerhard
I have only booked a room once & used my debit card. I almost always stay with friends when I travel & if not I just look for a room when I'm tired.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #17 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 9:05 am

A little of topic but I'm with Dave on the pre-booking of hotel rooms,
it never seems to work for me, I find a room when I get tired.

Still remember riding past a dozen motels in the cold rain because I had reservations that wouldn't refund unless they had 24 hour notice.

The ones that really "pissed me off" wouldn't refund with a full week notice
(when my final drive failed) unless somebody else rented my cabin,

I'm talking about the spring training rally at the Iron Horse.
they will never get my business, ever!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #18 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 5:27 pm

May they rot in hell

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #19 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 5:58 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
May they rot in hell
I wouldn't be that nice to them or computer hackers.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #20 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
I have no PayPal account. But I have purchased a few items from online vendors who use PayPal as their CC service. Each time the account was compromised. I don't think it was then vendor but someone getting into PayPal. I no longer buy anything if they use PayPal.
I have the opposite experience. A couple times had bad experiences with credit cards being compromised, fortunately always caught early.

We now use PayPal often, and have never had an issue. My wife is retired from Bank of
America, and she insists that I use PayPal anytime it is available rather than a charge card. We have used PayPal MANY times over the past five years.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #21 of 21 Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 7:09 am

I was amazed with my bank on how fast they reacted when someone stole my credit card number while in Canada last year. First I knew was when I tried to buy gas in Winnipeg and the pump said see the Cashier. I did, she said to call my credit card company. I did. They asked me if I had made a purchase of $128.78 for gas earlier that morning at 12:30 AM. I told them that would be difficult as I only had a 6 1/2 gallon tank on the bike. The bank said their fraud program kicked it out as questionable as for the last two weeks all my gas purchases were in the 6 gallon range. They had frozen the card. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

Of course, I was then stuck in Canada without a working credit card, because my secondary card was not accepted anywhere I tried. So it was back to the good ole USA.

Ultra LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in