All the gear ALL the time? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old May 14th, 2013, 11:46 am Thread Starter

All the gear ALL the time?

I am sure that most of the folks on this group will have at least a helmet and maybe jacket to ride in. Myself, I cannot even go to the corner store unless I put my boots, gloves, jacket, helmet on. Blue jeans and very common for me to ride in.
So I was wondering about the people who shout ATGATT, is it really All The Time...but just on a motorcycle?
I mowed my lawn Friday and was thinking about the ATGATT and how I cannot even pull my bike from the gas pump to the front of the store without at lease setting my helmet on top of my head and just not buckling it. I was thinking about it while I was in my Crocs, Gym shorts, and tee-shirt with a lawn mower blade turning sooo fast and throwing little pieces of sticks, dirt, dog poo, and who knows what else against my legs.
So without trying to cause a fight, I was just wondering who will shout the ATGATT rules and then do something like I just did?

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old May 14th, 2013, 12:06 pm

Re: All the gear ALL the time?

Yes - I tend to protect myself from others stupidity not my own. IF I had to ATGATT to protect myself from myself I would have to live in an Iron Man suit 24/7.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #3 of 17 Old May 14th, 2013, 12:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
I am sure that most of the folks on this group will have at least a helmet and maybe jacket to ride in. Myself, I cannot even go to the corner store unless I put my boots, gloves, jacket, helmet on. Blue jeans and very common for me to ride in.
So I was wondering about the people who shout ATGATT, is it really All The Time...but just on a motorcycle?
I mowed my lawn Friday and was thinking about the ATGATT and how I cannot even pull my bike from the gas pump to the front of the store without at lease setting my helmet on top of my head and just not buckling it. I was thinking about it while I was in my Crocs, Gym shorts, and tee-shirt with a lawn mower blade turning sooo fast and throwing little pieces of sticks, dirt, dog poo, and who knows what else against my legs.
So without trying to cause a fight, I was just wondering who will shout the ATGATT rules and then do something like I just did?
To me it's very simple...what are the ramifications of having an accident without my gear?

If I'm moving my bike to a regular parking spot after fueling up, I will wear my helmet, as a low-speed drop coupled with an awkward landing could result in a serious head injury. If I'm riding on a street at traffic speeds, a fall and slide could additionally result in some major breaking/bruising/road rash, so I wear all my gear.

When I was much younger some of us were throwing a football around in the street in front of the house...one thing led to another and a game of sorts broke out...and I ended up stretching to catch a pass while running, losing my balance, and doing a face plant in the street. After that experience, and seeing the resulting damage even at the (very low) speed at which I could run, I have no desire to take a fall on concrete/asphalt/gravel at any riding speed.So I wear all my gear all the time. Interestingly, that fall while tossing the football (in a jeans and t-shirt) hurt me a lot more than a collision and long slide on my motorcycle (while fully geared up) years later.

post #4 of 17 Old May 14th, 2013, 12:50 pm

Only when I know that I will crash

In all seriousness I wear the gear all the time. Spent a few years racing motorcycles and had my fair share of threes and rocks. (Enduro)
post #5 of 17 Old May 14th, 2013, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Lawn mowing is serious business for me, 2 1/2 acres including some real slopes. Always wear jeans or work overalls, work gloves most of the time and always sturdy shoes or boots. My wife often asks me why I don't hire a kid to do it and every year there is a roll over accident I can show her in the paper and I know no matter how often I would tell a 14 year old that lawn tractors roll over if you ride along the slope I know they will have to try it for themselves.

On the motorcycle I am probably 90% ATGATT but I admit I will ride to lunch or coffee with just helmet and jeans on a hot day. Yes I have been in an accident and yes it hurt and yes it was at low speed and no I wasn't wearing more than a tee shirt, jeans and helmet. It happened returning from an afternoon coffee break. I was amazed that I felt no pain when it happened but later that night the road rash on my arm hurt and my left knee stiffened to the point I could not enter a car easily. The lady that turned left in front of me came with her husband to the emergency department and was much more upset than me. Within a week I was back to normal (as normal as I can be anyway) I know I am tempting fate but I tempt fate when I cross the street and the only thing stopping that 18 wheeler is that little red light. To me riding a bike is inherently dangerous and I accept that but don't worry about it.

Gerhard
post #6 of 17 Old May 14th, 2013, 2:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard
Lawn mowing is serious business for me, 2 1/2 acres including some real slopes. Always wear jeans or work overalls, work gloves most of the time and always sturdy shoes or boots. My wife often asks me why I don't hire a kid to do it and every year there is a roll over accident I can show her in the paper and I know no matter how often I would tell a 14 year old that lawn tractors roll over if you ride along the slope I know they will have to try it for themselves.

On the motorcycle I am probably 90% ATGATT but I admit I will ride to lunch or coffee with just helmet and jeans on a hot day. Yes I have been in an accident and yes it hurt and yes it was at low speed and no I wasn't wearing more than a tee shirt, jeans and helmet. It happened returning from an afternoon coffee break. I was amazed that I felt no pain when it happened but later that night the road rash on my arm hurt and my left knee stiffened to the point I could not enter a car easily. The lady that turned left in front of me came with her husband to the emergency department and was much more upset than me. Within a week I was back to normal (as normal as I can be anyway) I know I am tempting fate but I tempt fate when I cross the street and the only thing stopping that 18 wheeler is that little red light. To me riding a bike is inherently dangerous and I accept that but don't worry about it.

Gerhard
Safety glasses as well especially when using the the edger & string trimmer!
I friend of mine (Professional Engineer-Civil) lost his big toe with a rotary mower on a slope.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #7 of 17 Old May 14th, 2013, 2:39 pm

I guess gear applies to what you're riding. Ever ridden a horse in shorts? Ever ran a string trimmer in shorts? Made each of those mistakes ONCE! Never again. As for ATGATT on my LT, probably better'n 99%. In the old days, 2006, I hadn't learned the value of wearing good gear. I didn't have a problem, but that doesn't mean I never would. Bought the gear to extend the riding season. Been wearing it ever since. If I don't have my boots and over pants on, I just don't feel right anymore. I have to say I've ridden in a pinch without them, but that's few and far between.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #8 of 17 Old May 14th, 2013, 3:47 pm

I prefer to avoid any dangerous activity, therefore I do not mow my lawn

On the motorcycle I always put on all the gear whenever I ride. When I do woodworking and use the power tools I use all the safety gear you can such as safety glasses, push sticks, hearing protection etc, however with that there is only 1 safety device that can keep you from sticking your fingers in the saw blades, and it is the most important one...

Don't underestimate the value of brain being the most important piece of safety equipment you have; even that 40-foot trip from the gas pump to the parking spot for Doritos requires full attention, that's what keeps you from testing the other safety gear.

Okay, off my

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #9 of 17 Old May 14th, 2013, 4:40 pm

When using power equipment for lawn care or shop work, it's ATGATT.

Goggles or safety glasses, gloves, long pants and long sleeves AND hearing protection. When I used to mow the lawn, I wore foamies under the headset-style of hearing defenders.

Now, when the lawn guy comes to my house, I get on ATGATT and go for a motorcycle ride.

Dave

2000 BMW 1200LT
1989 PC 800
2005 Suzuki Bergman (sold to buy 1200LT)
1974 Honda 360CL (didn't move out of California with me)
post #10 of 17 Old May 15th, 2013, 9:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison13
When using power equipment for lawn care or shop work, it's ATGATT.
It's not called protective gear for nothing. The higher the risk/danger factor, the more gear. Mowing the lawn - gloves, work boots, long pants. The engine is quiet enough to exclude hearing protection. Chain saw=gloves, goggles, helmet, jacket, work boots and Kevlar chaps. The same goes for my work shop depending on what power equipment I might be using.

The odd thing is when I'm on the bicycle it's helmet, gloves, bike shorts and jersey. And yes, I've clocked over 45 mph on descents. I won't ride the motorcycle out my driveway (it's 3/4 mile) without all the gear and I never go faster than 10 mph. Is there some hypocrisy that I'm missing?

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #11 of 17 Old May 15th, 2013, 10:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

I may be guilty of not quite ALL the gear. Sometimes I don't wear hearing protection when I should. Always wear goggles or safety glasses when edging or working with power tools. I have mixed thin set & grout without breathing protection. But for the most part I live up to my Wife's nick name for me "Mr. Safety." My Grandpa was a carpenter and he had a sign in his shop, "Better to be careful a thousand times, than killed once." I guess it stuck.

BTW, there is a benefit June 1, for the daughter of a friend who was riding her scooter down Congress with her helmet on but not fastened. When the car hit her the initial impact sent her helmet flying, secondary impact was severe head trauma. The chin strap is important.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #12 of 17 Old May 15th, 2013, 10:50 am

Power tools = eye protection. I wear eyeglasses which provide a low level of protection, so some small, quick jobs don't get the ANSI goggles. I accept the risk likewise when using impact tools (hammers, chisels, punches, etc).
Prolonged usage or confined space = hearing protection
power yard equipment = closed toe shoes and gloves

As in all things, the rest is risk assessment and risk acceptance. Everyone has their own threshold of risk acceptance. Except when working under OSHA rules, then we have to follow their threshold.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #13 of 17 Old May 16th, 2013, 9:02 am

http://bmwsuperbikes.com/forum/viewt...p?f=52&t=19503

MSF Ridercoach #25680 since 1992

motorcycling is for everybody, but not everybody is for motorcycling
post #14 of 17 Old May 16th, 2013, 9:22 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the comments about ATGATT and I ride to be safe. My main question was how many of us how do shout the ATGATT phrase will do things that cause risks, as in not the safest thing to do. Like me mowing the yard without protection on my legs. I have seen people stand on the top rung of a ladder and try to reach 6 feet to the right instead of moving the ladder three feet over.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #15 of 17 Old May 16th, 2013, 9:25 am

Quote:
Thanks guys for the comments about ATGATT and I ride to be safe. My main question was how many of us how do shout the ATGATT phrase will do things that cause risks, as in not the safest thing to do. Like me mowing the yard without protection on my legs. I have seen people stand on the top rung of a ladder and try to reach 6 feet to the right instead of moving the ladder three feet over.

I'm married, if putting on that ring wasn't something that causes risks, I don't know what is!

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #16 of 17 Old May 16th, 2013, 10:33 am

Quote:
So to directly answer your question, I wear as much safety gear as reasonable, and I always try to evaluate the risks whenever I do something that could be dangerous. Having said that I don't wear a helmet and flame proof suit when I drive my car so I guess I am a hypocrite after all.

What I don't like is when I have done something for a long time, then read about, or am told about a potential risk and the associated mitigation factor and I realize I had never thought about that or knew about it. That's what gives me a gut-sick feeling, knowing that is was only dumb luck that I never had that accident

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #17 of 17 Old May 17th, 2013, 10:32 pm

Garage

Here is a long story.
Back in '80 went to KC on a kaw1000. Wife and I rode from the hotel to the waffle house in the same parking lot complex. No helmets on. On the way in the patrol officer on his way out said you just got off that bike where's your helmets. In the hotel room my answer. Well you just leave the bike here walk over there and put it on before you get back on the bike. Lesson well learned.
Since then I been helmet, gloves, boots and jacket. 2nd season for pants. It takes me 5-10 minutes to suit up. Since my eye surgery I use safety goggles for all work around the house.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in