I fought the clutch and the clutch won. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Apr 14th, 2013, 7:02 am Thread Starter

I fought the clutch and the clutch won.

I fought the clutch and the clutch won.
It has taken me a while to get this here text bashed into the mac, but in all fairness you just don't just smoothly jack off this kind of experience without some level of scar tissue, both mental and physical.
Y'all may remember sometime late last year I was bitching about the Iron pig and how the clutch had started to slip.
I had read all the "help me god, my clutch is slipping" threads on this forum and on the flyingbrick.de forum and I knew how to tighten things up a bit, however I was acutely aware that a do it myself clutch change would be a major undertaking, maybe even impossible, Slammer's way of dealing with motorbike trouble involves shaking chicken bones and poking it with a stick most vigorously until the problem goes away.
Using this method I had managed to bubble through the winter, taking it nice and easy and choosing roads that do not involve going up a hill with more than a 5% gradient, however a few weeks ago on the Autobahn I used up the good JuJu in one fell swoop, Slammer gets hisself into a situation where he needs to open the taps, engine roars and the pig slows down, not a good thing to happen if you are a few meters in front of a thirty ton lorry bearing down like a nuke, my only thought was "oh crap my piles" I was in real danger of becoming a granola bar of organic mush and bits of metal with "Made in Germany" stamped on them.
Clearly the fates were telling me that it was time to stop bullshitting myself and shop around for somebody who can change a clutch on the cheap.
I think the cheapest quote was for 1500 Franks and the most expensive one was quoted at 2500 Franks, nope, gonna have to bite the bullet and do it myself, I can use a screwdriver and a spanner but clearly this is a quantum leap from from my permanent struggle to simply open the gas tank.
The problem in Basel….! WHERE??
A friend of mine offered me the loan of his garage for as long as it takes, I was pretty thankful for that and In all fairness I tried, lord how I tried, I got to the bit where Iron Pig needs to be supported on the front wheel without a stand, I rigged a wooden block for support and tied the frame down with ratchet belts.
This guy is from the dark side and rides a Harley, a big, black bad-assed Harley full of shiny chrome and Aftermarket Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Parts and Accessories.
Now you may not believe this but Slammer sometimes gets visions, sometimes even without excessive consumption of alcohol, especially unsettling are the kind of "ouch this is gonna hurt" vision you get just seconds before you skewer your holding hand with the screwdriver that you are fumbling with in a inappropriate, non regulation manner.
My vision plainly showed Iron Pig falling of the makeshift block and banging into the Harley, knocking it over in a expensive manner, there would be no way a box of chocolates could say sorry enough, so I packed up and sulked for another week.

Big bad-assed black HD slumming it with the pig.

I asked around and was tempted to take a offer from st2lemans, one of the Englishforum's brethren in Lugano, however the attempt in the HD-guys pad showed that you really need the infrastructure of a well kitted out garage so there was only one way to do this.
Slammer's stepmom has a humongous house with a garage, that, if my brother's kids don't clutter it up with bicycles and toys and skateboards, can easily accommodate up to three cars and a lawnmower. There is also a top notch workshop with all the tools left over from from my father, some of them things we brought over from the UK over forty years ago, dad believed in good quality stuff.

And so it begins..!

It would make sense to nurse Iron Pig the four hundred and forty Kilometers to north of Augsburg, to a village in the middle of Schwäbisch-Kongo, a strictly "no bars" area with the map reference of "Here be ye Dragones," the village of Druisheim where I spent my early teens could have inspired Night Shyamalan to another crap movie.
Mom is, how can I say, 21st century challenged and the house and all technology in it are good old stuff that has been in use since 1980-odd, nowadays the village has electricity and they no longer eat their dead, more amazing still, dear brother has a computer in the house with the (and I quote) "window internet" running, however it takes over four minutes to open the forum's main page.
For mom, bless her socks, the internet is as alien as heck and could be in Klingon, she was quite surprised that I could access information at all hours of the day and that the internet doesn't have a closing time.
(Her words: "it's after ten is that internet thing still open?)
Different generation, defiantly a different generation.
I had arrived good friday and immediately started to strip the pig, I had all the bits I needed and was confident to succeed…
…Until I saw that the clutch plate, worn to the rivets, by the way, was covered in oil and clutch rubbings with the consistency of a well rolled ball of snot…
…The bastard had gone, the main seal between the engine and the clutch was leaking oil, bugger.
Sunday, shops shut.
Monday, shops shut
Tuesday, I get a train to Augsburg and the main BMW dealer for a new seal, silly Slammer gets only one which I promptly bash into a shape that defiantly would no longer work as a seal, it took me all of five minutes to ruin the bloody thing.

Split pig, oh the fun.

I now know why they charge so much for a clutch change on a LT by the way.

The BMWheelbarrow

I order a new one while trying to kick myself, this meant ANOTHER trip to Augsburg, I had just gotten my shoes on, not had time to bind the laces, mom comes in:
"Slammer, next time you must repair your bike, have it done in a garage, even if it…" and her voice takes on a hushed tone of awe "costs two hundred Euros, tie your shoe laces you'll trip and hurt yourself!"
The very next day I take the train again to Augsburg, this time I buy three seals @ 22 Euros a pop from a sales guy who is openly enjoying hisself at my misfortune, grinning like a sadistic cheshire cat, he explains that they are the last ones and if I want any more it will take three to four days for them to restock.
And again, I wreck the next one don't I?
The next one I manage to bang in more or less spot on using the special tool I bought to remove the oil filter, a perfect fitting tool for banging in the bastard if I may say, only to find that the propshaft rubber ring thing is bust, a non standard part and not to be found in a DIY store, another train ride… of course, what else?
Thursday, back on the train to Augsburg, this time I hear the buggers at BMW laughing over me even before the door closes.
A three day job normally, four if you have had a spot of bad luck, had taken me eight days and I was ready to roll back to Basel on Saturday.

The good, the bad, the ugly.

TADAHHHH! The last screw.

A cold ride if I may inject here but it worked and I was happy as Larry, until the next day under the bike drip, drip, drip, I went as cold as the weather, FORNICATE, was the word I used, now it seems that the leak has stopped and I am willing to believe that the seal just needed to work it's way into a comfortable position, we will see after 5000 Kilometers max.

Without men civilization would last untill the oil needs changing.

Last edited by Slammer; Apr 14th, 2013 at 7:13 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Apr 14th, 2013, 11:03 am

Re: I fought the clutch and the clutch won.

Well, all I can say is that you improvised, persevered and conquered (to be determined).
Thanks for the humorous write up and fun pic’s!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Apr 14th, 2013, 1:37 pm

Love the Mom quotes!

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90
SCBMWRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Apr 14th, 2013, 11:56 pm

Slammer, I've been looking at the photographs you posted and a couple of things occurred to me that might be of some assistance.
When you have to fit a seal try using a socket with an outside diameter a couple of millimetres smaller than the seal to apply more even pressure all the way round.
I don’t know how many kilometres your bike has covered but I’m guessing it’s quite a few. Crankcase pressure on a worn engine will cause front and rear main seals to leak. Have you checked the crankcase breather isn't blocked and that the sump isn't over filled?
Assuming the breather is clean, that crankcase pressure isn't the problem and the leak continues (I know from experience how much you don’t want to even hear this) and there’s no other option, when you install another seal purchase a “speedy-sleeve” for the shaft. Any wear or scoring on the surface of the shaft no matter how good the seal is will allow it to leak. A decent bearing supplier will be able to supply the “speedy-sleeve” and will come with an installation tool. Check up and down play on the shaft with the clutch assembly removed as well, worn rear-main bearings won’t help matters.
Once you've stopped the leak, it might be worth investing in one of the oil additives that are available for engines that are starting to show signs of wear and tear. Let us know how you go. Good luck!
Regards Reflex.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in