Legislation would close 23 million acres of public land - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 27th, 2013, 7:43 am Thread Starter

Legislation would close 23 million acres of public land

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...blic_land.aspx

Just one more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 27th, 2013, 10:41 am
Ego equitare, timo ego sum

Re: Legislation would close 23 million acres of public land

I bet they'll put in a provision to allow Fracking, as nothing can impede Halliburton's efforts to poison drinking water across the nation.
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 30th, 2013, 9:47 pm

With 45 years off roading these clowns have about squeezed the last bit of fight out of me. I am so disgusted with the Sierra Club and others stealing public land from the vast majority of American people in the name of "protecting the land." It is nothing more than blatant discrimination against anyone who isn't like them. if your method of enjoying your public lands isn't via recreational hiking (like us), we will buy votes to restrict your access ... and we will hide behind claiming it is for environmental reasons. Public lands belong to all of (the) US.

Fracking ..... really Dave?

Chris

President SCBMWRC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOA / Airhead Beemer Club
2015 BMW R1200RT / 1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 31st, 2013, 3:39 am

The AMA has been trying to warn people for years and Certain Administrations who are more beholding to the environmentalist types are more likely to do land grabs, but not enough care and to many in DC would rather have the environmental vote than ours.
post #5 of 6 Old May 2nd, 2013, 2:18 pm

I'm not particularly a rabid environmentalist at all and am all for oil companies, but I still fail to see it as a "public" benefit to have motorized toys tearing up the land. This is the sort of "recreation" that ought to be private enterprise IMHO. Just don't get this sort of "entitlement."

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Last edited by lkchris; May 2nd, 2013 at 4:09 pm.
post #6 of 6 Old May 4th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris
I'm not particularly a rabid environmentalist at all and am all for oil companies, but I still fail to see it as a "public" benefit to have motorized toys tearing up the land. This is the sort of "recreation" that ought to be private enterprise IMHO. Just don't get this sort of "entitlement."
Entitlement? "Tear up the land", really? That is the kind of uninformed opinion that closes more and more public land and motivate people like Sen Feinstein & Barbara Boxer to close millions of acres of land in SoCal to all except their environmental special interest uses. Feinstein even admitted she has "never set foot" on any of them. In my 45 years of riding the CA desert, i can't recall seeing another soul (other than other off roaders) in most of the areas we ride, with the exception of the occasional miner or hunter. Yet special interests should be able to decide who can or can't enjoy the beauty of remote public lands? I am very proud my parents raised me, and I raised my children, to love and appreciate the beauty of our Country by visiting remote areas of their US public lands on our motorcycles. I will continue this with my grand daughter (with hopefully many more to come :-). The land is left in tact for future generations to enjoy and typically any tire tracks (just like animal tracks) are washed away by wind or storms, and not even visible the next time someone passes through the area. The damage I have seen occurs when the enlightened environmentalists close off so much land and force everyone to ride in small areas ... by only allowing this large segment of citizens to use smaller and smaller portions of our public lands, their cries of "tearing up the land" becomes a reality that they can now use to legitimize the very problem their misguided activism brought to fruition.

I can't begin to help you understand the good that comes from spending time in the desert and enjoying off-roading, but ask you to at least consider why it is appropriate to tell the one segment of our society that passionately enjoys these beautiful and remote areas of our Country that they can't go their because it needs to be "protected" for the segment of society that has never, and likely will never, set foot on it. It is also worth considering why our government should be allowed to legislate discrimination? By saying no motorized access to certain public lands, you have completely removed my one legged brother's ability to enjoy the land he loves and owns as a US citizen and taxpayer. Without his quad or truck, he is denied access while someone who is fortunate enough to have both limbs AND whose chosen form of recreation is hiking instead of off-roading, is not.

I will say it again, public lands belong to all of US(A), not just chosen classes.

Chris

President SCBMWRC

MOA / Airhead Beemer Club
2015 BMW R1200RT / 1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in