Time to “stir the pot” - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 9:52 am Thread Starter

Time to “stir the pot”

As a new LT owner I believe I can state with confidence that the engineering (electronics and technology) that goes into an LT is years old and outdated at best. Mechanical engineering (like ABS) is great. The LT has clean lines, every part fits perfect and my bike rides like a dream (as we all know).

My comment is more around technology and a $.20 part that BMW does not provide built-in, thus causing us to cut into factory wires hoping it will work without voiding our warranties. Either BMW engineers ride their BMWs different than we do, or they do not listen (or care). I hope that riding a BMW in Germany is different than in the US, thus they do care.

Something as simple as an MP3 or iPod connection should be standard (like it has been on cars for over two years (maybe three). MP3, iPod, cell phones, Bluetooth and power outlets are simple to provide from the factory. After all, most everyone here as successfully added these features and we are not BMW engineers (at least I am not). An MP3 chip that holds 1000 songs is no bigger than your thumb so finding space on the LT is not an issue.

Creating an integrated communication system with full functionality (that works) should be a walk in the park since other industries have been doing it for years and years, and everything is based on accepted industry standards. BMW is not recreating the wheel.

While I am sure we could all provide BMW a list of simple things to improve, I simply find the whole electronic issue with the BMW disappointing.

My 2 cents

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:05 am

Bait Taken

And why not throw on a couple of doors, air conditioning, and a retractable roof .
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:45 am
Bouncer

K1200LTs equipped with the intercom have an Aux input (that $.20 part you mention) for just this purpose.

As for a more sophisticated solution, it already exists in the Dension IceLink. While not provided by BMW, wires in very easily and provides the same function as you get in your BMW automobile.

I wouldn't want BMW's idea of an MP3 player anyway. But I would like the ability to integrate it -- which the IceLink does very well, and the Aux input does on a minimal level.

Then again, I don't want to pay upwards of $2500 installed for BMW's idea of a intercom either, so I am just as happy integrating an iPod/Archos/MP3 player d'jour myself without BMW coming up with the "wrong" approach.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:26 am
Senior Member (ret.)

BMW does listen a bit. Maybe observe and learn is more appropriate. To wit:

1) Xenon HID low beam on 2006
2) Better/separate high beam
3) Front turn signal conversion to running lights
4) Shortened side stand
5) Rider seat changes
6) More HP

These are some that come to mind right now. They saw what most of us have done and realised the demand.

I have a feeling that the new LT will have a few more items that we like.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:30 pm Thread Starter

To El's comments:
Maybe I should have been more clear. If one purchases the expensive integrated BMW intercom system (as I did), these items should be standard. Such as an MP3 player, and slot that accepts the iPod automatically (no wires) (like a three year old car does). The intercom should auto-detect these items and provide programming options for order of play, etc.

So far I require four Aux connections, but the LT only has one. I drilled and flush mounted two more Aux connections (just like the factory could do). If one does not purchase the integrated BMW intercom system then a third party product like Icelink is a good choice (which I almost bought instead).

Roy:

After much help from my local dealer, I was able to order my LT with the “special sunroof” option. (at least that is the pitch I used on the wife).

Of course non of these little items will stop me from pilling on the miles (as soon as the rain stops).
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 1:33 pm

Mark- I was concerned, after hitting the post button, that you might take my comments the wrong way. You obviously have a good sense of humor which is appreciated. To many people in this world are "two tents".
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 1:39 pm

Mark,

I think I speak for many when I say where would the fun be if the LT did everything out of the box? Farklization is at least half the attraction and keeps us all in tune over these rainy months. If you ever get to a CCR you'll see some amazing stuff on an LT! Once you're over the MP3 issue you'll be able to focus more closely on changing out or adding the CB Bailey windshield, sport shocks, Jpegs, side pannier running lights, pillion footrests, custom seats, pillion armrests, radar detector, GMRS radio, removing the CD changer, adding a fuse box, hardwiring and switching at least two aux light combos, cupholder, and perhaps a pulsating tail light. The LT is a good starting point but far from ever being "complete."

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in