Monkey Butt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 2:08 pm Thread Starter

Monkey Butt

I'm intending to do an Iron Butt here soon, and really would like to do what's needed to prevent monkey butt... Meaning, powders, shorts, etc. So I'm looking for some advice from some long distance touring veterans.

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 2:41 pm

Re: Monkey Butt

never had that problem while on the LT.

I do ride with compression shorts but do not believe that these have any affect on anything.

Paul

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 2:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker46514
I'm intending to do an Iron Butt here soon, and really would like to do what's needed to prevent monkey butt... Meaning, powders, shorts, etc. So I'm looking for some advice from some long distance touring veterans.

I've only done the Saddlesore 1000. This was from the Louisiana border with Texas to the New Mexico border via Austin to make 1025 miles. I did this one in conjunction with the Summer Solstice run put on by the Houston BMW club occasionally. The big deal is to stay hydrated. In 16 hrs. I went through seven 70 oz. Camelbacks of ice water. I did have to relieve myself at every gas stop which ended up being about every 125 miles. (K1100LT's only have a 150 mile range max.) I did nothing else special. I do regret not signing up for the 1500 in 36 hrs. as I had to ride 700 miles the next day to get home. Eat light and stay alert and hydrate.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Garage

Ean,

One item that you should consider is the "Airhawk Seat Pad" (or similar product). My brother who rode his BMW K1200LT with stock seat for 12 years swears by it for long hauls. He recently gave me the LT and now has the K1600GT. He took his "Airhawk Seat Pad" with him of course. I recently bought one but not have had the opportunity to try it out, so I can't comment on it first hand. Previously I have ridden my 1966 R50/2 since new and what worked for me was the old standby, i.e., to stretch out using the foot pegs and let the air flow around my butt. I tried this technique on the LT, doesn't work as well as you would expect since the airflow tends to be channeled away from the rider. Good luck on your trip.

Currently owned,
1966 R50
2000 K LT
post #5 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 3:11 pm

A fairly liberal powdering in all the appropriate spots with Gold Bond Body powder before you leave will help on those long sweaty days. Someone who can dust it on for you with a caressingly soft touch will help you make it through the day for sure !!!!!
post #6 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 3:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerStar
A fairly liberal powdering in all the appropriate spots with Gold Bond Body powder before you leave will help on those long sweaty days. Someone who can dust it on for you with a caressingly soft touch will help you make it through the day for sure !!!!!

Best advice yet.

I do have an airhawk. I just picked this LT up in December, so I haven't had enough miles to know if it will give me any fits. I do know that my harley did.

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #7 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 3:33 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

The best thing you can do is get some LD Comfrot shorts They have an inner layer the wick the sweat away from your body & keep you dry. Powers work good if you are riding in cooler weather. As soon as you sweat the powers turn to past & hold the moisture up against your body. Think about how your hands look after they have been in water for some time. Your bottom will wrinkle up the same way. LD Comfort is your best bet.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Beads and sheepskin cover. I used both and would alternate between the two throughout the 1,000 miles. Worked great.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Highly recommend the Medicated Gold Bond Powder. It's the one in a green bottle. It's a lifesaver when officiating multiple soccer matches on 90+ degree days.
post #10 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 3:56 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Yeah, I've done a few 1,000-1,600+ mile days . . .

There's some great advice here (keep hydrated, eat light, stay alert), some average advice (Airhawks and sheepskins work for some folks, but a true custom saddle fitted to you is so much better), and some really bad advice, too.

Stay away from any powders, creams, or anything like that. You still sweat, but all that happens is that it gets absorbed by this stuff, then you end up sitting in a slimy paste of their chemicals and your own sweat. That's not what you need to stay dry and comfortable for days on end.

Get the right breathable under gear and forget the cheap powders. Your butt will thank you.

If you're experiencing posterior discomfort after long days on the road, you really should look at your riding gear. That can have a huge impact on your overall comfort level as the miles and hours pile on.

Make sure that your riding pants have no seams anywhere near where you sit. It's a small thing, but can make a huge difference in comfort over the long haul. And it's a concept than many manufacturers either don't understand, or they ignore so as to get more product out of a fixed piece of material (saving them money while selling you an inferior product).

Personally, I like the Aerostitch AD1 Pants, which are waterproof, breathable, comfortable, and have no seams to sit on.

And under that goes LD Comfort undergarments.

No denim. No cotton. And no cotton/poly blends. All that stuff does is retain moisture and cause irritation.

Quite simply, the material LD Comfort uses is superior to anything else out there. I stay dry and comfortable from freezing temps to well over 100 degrees. It just plain works.

I have a couple pairs of Under Armor gear, as well as some off-brand stuff. They sit at home on the shelf, mostly due to the fact that they're always slipping down and the fact that they don't work well over a very wide temperature range. They're just not comfortable for the long haul, so they stay home. Cheaper doesn't matter if the product doesn't work.

My AD1 pants and LD Comfort gear is all I wear for long rides (and most short rides, too). I have lived in them for weeks at a time while on the road, including a 2-week, 15,000 mile ride.

That's what works for me.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 4:12 pm

I tried all the compression shorts and did not like them.
I ended up with a loose fitting synthetic boxer brief and I use Monkey Butt powder.
I also wear a really light weight synthetic hiking pant when its above 90 degrees.
Ya, I know they offer no protection.
post #12 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 4:22 pm

For me the only thing that has worked is a daily scrubbing the shady areas with hand soap and a WASH CLOTH ! .

Bob G
post #13 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 4:24 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregpinch
Ya, I know they offer no protection.
At least the blood can mix with your sweat and get absorbed by the powder . . .

My setup is comfortable from 18F (with a heated jacket) to 118F (drink lots of water and open the jacket vents).

And when I did go down in my setup at highway speeds, I was well-protected. You can bet I replaced it all with exactly the same gear.

Yes, you can have it both ways . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 4:44 pm

All this stuff is BS... Just ride naked. Fixes all those pesky little problems

sam
post #15 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 5:31 pm

LD Comfort Shorts get my vote..
post #16 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 8:14 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by selil
Just ride naked. Fixes all those pesky little problems
Except for bug strikes, cold, sun/wind burn, people pointing and laughing (hey now, I said it was cold, alright?).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #17 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 9:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Except for bug strikes, cold, sun/wind burn, people pointing and laughing (hey now, I said it was cold, alright?).
Hey, I'm working here, cutting down the level of the competition. Using some of that mental game stuff. When they show up sunburned, scarred, but a dry posterior they'll thank us. Then collapse.

sam
post #18 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 10:33 pm

Kontour seat upgrade

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #19 of 26 Old Mar 25th, 2013, 11:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Quite simply, the material LD Comfort uses is superior to anything else out there. I stay dry and comfortable from freezing temps to well over 100 degrees. It just plain works.

I have been using my Troy Lee Designs off road shorts and they have worked well, but your voice of experience is not one I will ignore. Pair of shorts ordered, thanks.

Chris

President SCBMWRC

MOA / Airhead Beemer Club
2015 BMW R1200RT / 1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90

post #20 of 26 Old Mar 26th, 2013, 6:30 am Thread Starter

I wouldn't mind a new seat if it wasn't for the cost. I will look at those LD under shorts. and i already have the airhawk.

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #21 of 26 Old Mar 26th, 2013, 9:10 am

I like the beads and leave them on the bike all year long. That and like the others have said, throw away the Whitey Tightys and get some good shorts.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #22 of 26 Old Mar 26th, 2013, 8:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
The best thing you can do is get some LD Comfrot shorts They have an inner layer the wick the sweat away from your body & keep you dry. Powers work good if you are riding in cooler weather. As soon as you sweat the powers turn to past & hold the moisture up against your body. Think about how your hands look after they have been in water for some time. Your bottom will wrinkle up the same way. LD Comfort is your best bet.
+1. Ridden 3000 mile trip on my K1200LT with these and no problem. Rode 1400 miles on my VTX1800 and again, no problem at all. I swear by them.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #23 of 26 Old Mar 27th, 2013, 6:35 am Thread Starter

I think I'll buy some of those LDshorts. I don't have riding pants currently, so I just wear jeans, I don't have the funds at the moment to buy AD1 pants either. I'm hoping the LDshorts and Airhawk can get me through.

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #24 of 26 Old Mar 27th, 2013, 11:47 pm

ride a bicycle to tough it up. real sheepskin seat cover helps.
post #25 of 26 Old Mar 28th, 2013, 8:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Beads and sheepskin cover. I used both and would alternate between the two throughout the 1,000 miles. Worked great.

A friend swears by using both at the same time! In hot humid weather, he puts his beads on the seat & the sheepskin on top of that. Says the beads allow air flow, and the sheepskin prevents sweating. I'm taking both on my next planned long trip in that sort of weather..going to try it!
post #26 of 26 Old Mar 29th, 2013, 11:55 am

I for one do not even think about a long ride without my Under Armour baselayer shorts! They seem to keep things very cool and in place. I also do have a Air Hawk but I seem to use my Seat Saver pad the most. The seat saver pad I found in the horse section of a Fleet Farm and fits well on the bike. I use the Aire Grip Seat Saver http://www.buytack.com/products/ride...seatcovers.htm
Just my 2 cents... everybody is different when it comes to comfort. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in