A Message For Bill Smith - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Mar 21st, 2013, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

A Message For Bill Smith

Hey Bill, You ask about using plexiglass, I assume for a shelf for your GPS. Of course that would work but not sure how you would form it to fit the contour on the top of the dash. Another assumption, you want to do this on an RT? Yea, you can use heat to soften plexi so that it can be formed but applying the right amount of heat and controlling the forming dimensionally can be tricky. I like the aluminum because I can make a paper pattern, transfer it to the aluminum,cut it out with a band saw, stick in a vise and beat on it with a hammer to form and shape it as necessary. It can also be easily painted and is impervious to UV deterioration, I live in the Sunshine State. The material that I used is readily available at most big box hardware stores. Typically $10 to $15 for a piece about 18" square. Don't know what the specific alloy is but it's fairly hard and works well for all sorts of little projects. I also use adhesive backed foam insulation about 1" wide and stick it to the under side of the shelf where it's going to contact the painted bike surface. That way it won't leave any blemishes should I want to remove it in the future. As far as the sun visor, I used to make them out of light weight thin aluminum sheet but placement on the GPS was critical because it could block the signal from the satellites. The thin lightweight plastic from the milk jug works great and best of all it's cheap. Don't know if you really wanted this kind of information but hey, it's free. Good luck with your project.
Cheers,
Lynn
PS; I tried to send you this info in a Private Message but the system tells me that you have declined receiving email or PM's

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Mar 21st, 2013, 6:36 pm

Garage
Re: A Message For Bill Smith

Sent you an email.
Yes I do have an LT. The shelf part was only a consideration and the malleability and my ability to work with metal is nil. Wood work I can do and plexi is the closest thing to that. Thanks for the insight on the mods.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in