From a facebook post

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 11:50 am

Re: Atgatt!

Assuming it's not photo-shopped, she was obviously wearing a helmet!
post #3 of 25 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 1:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

It's not PhotoShopped. Her name is Brittany Morrow. Quite a remarkable young woman.

Google her story; she's turned a horrific squid accident into a campaign for wearing the proper gear.

And now she rides her own bike.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650

post #4 of 25 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 1:49 pm

Garage

That picture is brutal.
Silver lining if there ever was one, is she is blessed to be the one writing the story and not be the story written about. Eye opener for all riders.
ride safe
post #5 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 7:02 am

Yep! That really gets the viewer's attention! Damn shame. But then again, she's alive to tell her tale.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #6 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 9:33 am

The first time I saw that photo I went out and got some gear.

Great eye opener for sure....

Why am I here and what day is it??
post #7 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 2:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12R12RT
It's not PhotoShopped. Her name is Brittany Morrow. Quite a remarkable young woman.

Google her story; she's turned a horrific squid accident into a campaign for wearing the proper gear....
What in the world is a squid accident?

It's a terrible shame what she's had to suffer.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #8 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 3:05 pm

Go to her page and read the "Inspiration" page and follow the link to the story she wrote a year after the accident. A brutal first hand account that she has turned into a mission.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #9 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 4:48 pm

There were some other pictures circulating right after she had her accident that looked a lot worse. This one is tame by comparison. Anyone know what happened to the guy up front.

Years ago when I first took drivers ed, we had to watch a number of crashes, but I remember reading that as horrific were the accidents, viewing them did not make a noticeable difference in the way that we drove. There is a video circulating with four young girls driving and texting. I don't think it will make a difference either.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 6:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
What in the world is a squid accident?

It's a terrible shame what she's had to suffer.

Squid

A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tyres are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds intself with the fact that they engage in 'extreem riding'--performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas. Squids wreck alot. Derived from 'squirly kid'

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #11 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 10:36 pm

Thanks Michael for the explanation.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #12 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 10:46 pm

Garage

Perhaps a video.
The people who sponsor her should put together a video and run it at motorcycle shops and gear stores. Most of us may already use riding gear but it might help some who could afford the machine and not afford the common sense to protect the bike from the rider I think that's what I meant.
ride safe
post #13 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 10:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
Perhaps a video.
The people who sponsor her should put together a video and run it at motorcycle shops and gear stores. Most of us may already use riding gear but it might help some who could afford the machine and not afford the common sense to protect the bike from the rider I think that's what I meant.
ride safe
And it might convince someone to purchase gear they wouldn't do otherwise. Kind of an impulse purchase. They might not wear it, but at least it would increase the store's sales.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #14 of 25 Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 12:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Anyone know what happened to the guy up front.
Dan,
Brittany was riding pillion when the forces of acceleration and wind getting underneath her helmet, pulled her off the back of the bike. I didn't read the account linked here, but am remembering what I read years ago. For some reason, her story stayed with me.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #15 of 25 Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 4:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
Dan,
Brittany was riding pillion when the forces of acceleration and wind getting underneath her helmet, pulled her off the back of the bike....
That's the impression I got from reading the account from the link above. She mentioned the helmet was too big, so I wonder if that compounded/was catalyst to her tragedy. The account also gave me the impression the rider was speeding excesively. Each factor on it's own would have probably been manageable/uneventful, but all of them together created an inevitable disaster.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #16 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 10:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

At least she is alive to tell the tale, and is using it for good. We loose so many around here, Some with, some without helmets. All in tank tops, shorts & tennis shoes, or better yet flip flops. If it persuades even a few to wear more than a helmet, it greatly increases survivability and post crash quality of life. You go girl!

Experience may be the best teacher, but she can be a heartless biotch.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #17 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 11:40 am

Benny, though I myself am rarely ATGATT, I am always amazed to see others riding around in shorts and flip-flops. They wouldn't even have to have a wreck, but just a tip-over in the wrong direction, and they'd be highly likely to suffer severe burns just from the exhaust pipes.

A female rider posted a pic of herself on her cruiser. She was dressed sexy enough, even was riding with open-toe and lace high-heels! I hope she never has to learn the hard way.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #18 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 1:51 pm

Strangely enough I posted Brittany Morrow's experience on a Swiss expat forum after seeing a gaggle of squids nuking along on the A5 to Freiburg yesterday, with the result that some people still see ATGATT as a affront against their rights to maim themselves.
http://www.englishforum.ch/travel-da...vil-squid.html

Without men civilization would last untill the oil needs changing.
post #19 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 7:33 pm

A couple years ago stopped at a diner for lunch. Young girl maybe 20 had scars like hers.
WHAT A SHAME.

2013 K1600GT
1967 R50/2
1965 Honda Sport 50
1943 Harley WLC Civy
post #20 of 25 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 6:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
And it might convince someone to purchase gear they wouldn't do otherwise. Kind of an impulse purchase. They might not wear it, but at least it would increase the store's sales.
Up at the CROT (Tail of the Dragon Store) they have (or used to have) a bunch of pictures of riders/bikes who have gone down on the dragon, some pics show some nasty road rash.....but do you think that stops those idiots from riding above their abilities? Nope and they still keep dying.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #21 of 25 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 10:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

While somewhat crass and harsh, I view it as natural selection.

I have an honest belief that there are some ignorant squids who will look at Brittany's site and at things like CROT's pictures and realize they need to do better, and they go do better with respect to gear.

There are others who do not and some of them go on to win Darwin Awards.

There's nothing wrong with being ignorant, as we are all ignorant of many things. It's choosing to ignore good advice and learning from other's experiences that transcends ignorance to become stupidity.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
post #22 of 25 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 10:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12R12RT
While somewhat crass and harsh, I view it as natural selection.

I have an honest belief that there are some ignorant squids who will look at Brittany's site and at things like CROT's pictures and realize they need to do better, and they go do better with respect to gear.

There are others who do not and some of them go on to win Darwin Awards.

There's nothing wrong with being ignorant, as we are all ignorant of many things. It's choosing to ignore good advice and learning from other's experiences that transcends ignorance to become stupidity.

Tom
Ignorance is cured with education. You can't fix stupid! ....just sayin'

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #23 of 25 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 10:53 am

I don't believe in Darwinism, at least not to the extent public school systems would want one to believe. I put my trust in my Creator, but I know not to tempt Him. As far as natural selection/life and death, when it's time for your ticket to be punched, there's nothing you can do about it. For everything between life and death, tragedies such as Brittany's can be avoided by understanding the limitations and circumstances and making the necessary adjustments. This understanding can be achieved through education, thereby fixing ignorance, but I don't think ignorance is as often to blame as stupidity, which can't be fixed as Benny said. There's a lot of people living in denial, especially young people who think they're invincible. Occasionally an incident like Brittany's has to occur in an effort to shake these people out of their denial or wake them up to reality. Hard Knocks is one hard teacher for hard headed individuals.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #24 of 25 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 12:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
Ignorance is cured with education. You can't fix stupid! ....just sayin'
I (and Ron White) agree.

However, stupidity is only manifested when ignorance is not overcome by education.

We were all young and invincible once, sure that we couldn't/wouldn't die. We rode bikes with no gear, smoked, and drank milk past the expiration date simply out of ignorance.

Once provided with an opportunity to learn, some of us started riding with gear, quit smoking, and threw out bad milk.

If you die as a result of riding with no gear, smoking related causes, or gastrointestinal distress you didn't die from injuries, disease, or illness.

You died from stupidity.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
post #25 of 25 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 2:35 pm

Garage

Heavy but True.
You fellows really know your stuff. I try to teach young people about life using some of your same philosophy using examples of knowledge and experiences. As had been said no one knows it all but if you have been down that road before you are better equipped to offer advice. You might tell some one the police is down the road handing out speeding tickets and some may heed your warning while others may think he won't catch me. So I just flip the coin and let them make the choice.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in