Plumbing problem - Toilet leaking - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

Plumbing problem - Toilet leaking

We have several American Standard low volume toilets that were installed 3 years ago and one has started to leak about 1 drip every few seconds, where the water enters the bowl. You can actually hear it dripping. The replacement valve is not a regular valve available from the hardware stores and must be ordered at around $45.00.

I think that is where the leak is, but I'm not sure. I've tried to locate it with dye and can't see where it is going. I've attached a picture of the valve in case anyone is familiar with it or has a suggestion.

My wife actually suggested this forum since she sees me on it so often!

It seems like it must be leaking between the blue seal and the green flap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amstan-flushvalve-3174-002-0070a.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	37770  

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 8:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Plumbing problem - Toilet leaking

The tank stores the water for the flush, so yes your leak is somewhere around your valve assembly. You may want to try pulling off the silicone seal ( looks like a giant washer) and turn it over. This may solve the problem. Also if you have a small line which extends into the tube column, make sure it is above the water level in the tank. Otherwise it can siphon and cause a leak as you describe. But...... I have three of those toilets with the huge valves and I believe they have a five year warranty on the valves. Give the folks at American Standard a call and they may take care of you. If not, check Lowes for the seals. It's very likely that's all you need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 1:45 am

Are you sure that it is a bit off a loo?
...It looks like a cabin stove..!

Without men civilization would last untill the oil needs changing.

post #4 of 21 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 2:23 am

Slammer, you crack me up! We need to join up for a Spring ride...

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #5 of 21 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 3:00 am

Sounds like a plan.

Without men civilization would last untill the oil needs changing.
post #6 of 21 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 3:11 am

I concur w/ Dean. I had the same issue recently, but w/ an Afghan toilet here. With a lack of a hardware store in the area, I tried being creative and even robbed Peter, but forgot to pay Paul, or something like that.

Unless the plastic assembly itself is cracked somehow, it would have to be that seal for the flapper, unless your water level has changed ever so slightly, but that would flow continuously into the bowl, even though maybe just a trickle.

Personally, I don't like the low volume toilets. Just ain't enough water to get rid of my business.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #7 of 21 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 6:30 am Thread Starter

Thanks all.....

Later this afternoon I'll have time to check all solutions. I do like the 5 year warranty !! I had a similar problem with a faucet that had a life time warranty and a call to the manufacture had the cartage in my hands a week later. It was not as easy as replacing a washer, but in five minutes the drip was fixed.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #8 of 21 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 11:29 am

I don't know if this applies in your case
but the dissolving tablets that are dropped into the tank and turn the water blue,
also deteriorate the rubber seal, as does hard water.
most manufacturers will not warrantee their product if these tablets are used.

I would replace the toilet rather than spend $45,
Home Depot sells a complete new one for $88 with a standard valve and flapper.
Also be sure to purchase the chair high ones, so much easier to use.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #9 of 21 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 7:35 am

I'll go along with Dean's suggestion about flipping the seal. You may want to try applying a light coating of petroleum jelly to the seal. This is recommended for the large seals on pump-style water filters. However, the best suggestion is also Dean's mention of the five year warranty. If the hopper is only three years old, hold American Standard to their policy.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #10 of 21 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 7:37 am

Okay, I just posted a suggestion to fix a dripping toilet on a motorcycle forum. Somewhere in the distance I can hear the theme from "The Twilight Zone."

Take care,
Chris

post #11 of 21 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 9:00 am

Sounds like a final drive failure, if your local BMW dealership won't fix it, contact BMW Motorrad America directly.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #12 of 21 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
I'll go along with Dean's suggestion about flipping the seal. You may want to try applying a light coating of petroleum jelly to the seal. This is recommended for the large seals on pump-style water filters. However, the best suggestion is also Dean's mention of the five year warranty. If the hopper is only three years old, hold American Standard to their policy.
Chris, I just got off of the phone with American Standard and they said to not use petroleum jelly because it would react with the silicone flapper. They did say to try flipping over the seal which was easy to do. It unscrewed from the top, just below the chain. It has a 10 year warranty and they will send me one as soon as they get off of a 1 month back order!

So I flipped the seal, wiped off the petroleum jelly and I'll see how it works. After removing the seal, I noticed a lot of imperfections and my guess it that was what was causing the leak. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I do have some silicone lub that I use on my pool filter o rings and might give that a try if flipping the flapper doesn't work.

Back to bikes and computers...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #13 of 21 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 4:05 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
We have several American Standard low volume toilets that were installed 3 years ago and one has started to leak about 1 drip every few seconds, where the water enters the bowl. You can actually hear it dripping. The replacement valve is not a regular valve available from the hardware stores and must be ordered at around $45.00.

I think that is where the leak is, but I'm not sure. I've tried to locate it with dye and can't see where it is going. I've attached a picture of the valve in case anyone is familiar with it or has a suggestion.

My wife actually suggested this forum since she sees me on it so often!

It seems like it must be leaking between the blue seal and the green flap.
Finally something I am a bit of authority on
OK everyone get the laughing out of the way. Dan first lets clear up exactly what is leaking.
Is the leak within the utensil or on the floor. If you say you hear the drip but are not actually seeing evidence of it then it is confined to the tank. In that case a float or valve adjustment should be the culprit.
If definitely at the inlet valve some of the above suggestions are in order but one thing not before mentioned a "hairline crack" anywhere on the porcelain below the water line especially around that valve itself. This could have come from over-tightening. In modern day life we try to use chemical cosmetics for brightening the bowl or enhancing color appearances (blue) which combine to form a solid (grain salt). Over a period of time and usage that can crust to either the raw porcelain or the washer material of the fixture. Hope this helps.
ride safe
post #14 of 21 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 4:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
Finally something I am a bit of authority on
OK everyone get the laughing out of the way. Dan first lets clear up exactly what is leaking.
Is the leak within the utensil or on the floor. If you say you hear the drip but are not actually seeing evidence of it then it is confined to the tank. In that case a float or valve adjustment should be the culprit.
If definitely at the inlet valve some of the above suggestions are in order but one thing not before mentioned a "hairline crack" anywhere on the porcelain below the water line especially around that valve itself. This could have come from over-tightening. In modern day life we try to use chemical cosmetics for brightening the bowl or enhancing color appearances (blue) which combine to form a solid (grain salt). Over a period of time and usage that can crust to either the raw porcelain or the washer material of the fixture. Hope this helps.
ride safe
99.9% sure the leak is at the blue seal touches the grey base. I shut off the water and that is where the leak stops. I reversed the seal and it is still leaking. I'll try to replace the seal if any are available at Home Depo tomorrow.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #15 of 21 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 5:20 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
99.9% sure the leak is at the blue seal touches the grey base. I shut off the water and that is where the leak stops. I reversed the seal and it is still leaking. I'll try to replace the seal if any are available at Home Depo tomorrow.
Dan you work in a life of water world.
With that in mind could it be the reason the leak stops when water is turned off is from lack of pressure. I am only guessing here. Hope you get you thumb on the issue and the fix.
ride safe
post #16 of 21 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 5:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If the leak stops immediately when you shut off the water then the leak is in the fill valve assembly and not in the flush valve. Simple rebuild with a kit. Sometimes they can be cleaned out and the leak will stop, but the kits are inexpensive and easy to install (presuming this is like all the others I've seen).. Your water level needs to be set below the top of the vent tube on the flush assembly, normally about 1/2 an inch or so but be certain it is below the level of the flush handle as well.

post #17 of 21 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 2:07 pm Thread Starter

Leak fixed..

I went by Home Depot and picked up a 4" flush valve seal for around $5.00. Took about a minuter to install and leak stopped. American Standard is sending me the same seal when they come off of back order! Around the end of April...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #18 of 21 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 2:19 pm

So Dano, was it the blue seal that you replaced?

What a relief! Crisis averted.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #19 of 21 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 6:23 pm

If you turn off the supply valve, does the dripping noise stop?

Then, if over a period of time, a couple of hours, does the water level in the tank drop?

If yes to both, then go for the flapper seal. If yes to the first only, then the float valve is not completely shutting off. Probably the case if you have real hard water.

Cannot over fill the tank and cause it to overflow, the water will run down what looks like the stove pipe into the bowl.

B D R
post #20 of 21 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 7:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
So Dano, was it the blue seal that you replaced?

What a relief! Crisis averted.
Yep... The blue flapper. HD had a replacement that was red, but it still works! Crisis averted... Now it's back to the sky....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #21 of 21 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 7:29 am

Dan,

Was unaware of the petroleum jelly affecting the seal. Thanks for the update and I wish you a good night's sleep without the "Drip! Drip! Drip!" of Chinese water torture.

Take care,
Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in