WHAT"S BETTER? Boat or Bike? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 5:45 pm Thread Starter

WHAT"S BETTER? Boat or Bike?

Whats Better: Bike or Boat?

Be honest. If you can only have one.

Boat is my choice if I can only have one.

All things being equal but they are not, back in the day I could not take my bike up the Grand Canyon. If ya ever head up canyon you know what I'm saying. Lake Mead is too low to access the Grand Canyon.

Bouncing over Trail Ridge is Great!!! But it's not the Grand Canyon.

On all the roads that have taken me to fabulous places, at a place on some of those roads was a boat ramp. If I didn't have the boat, I always wish I did.

What's Better: Bike or Boat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Re: WHAT"S BETTER? Boat or Bike?

Bike, for sure. For me. Boating needs a whole day to prep, tow to the water, enjoy it for a few hours then put it on the trailer and go home. Don't have that kind of time.
The bike can be ridden for a few hours if that's all I have. Costs way less to own and operate, too.

Greg
2011 R1200RT (sold)
2012 K1600GTL
post #3 of 42 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 6:24 pm
Enjoy The Ride

My last boat got less than 1 mpg at low speed. Nuff said.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 42 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 9:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB60
Bike, for sure. For me. Boating needs a whole day to prep, tow to the water, enjoy it for a few hours then put it on the trailer and go home. Don't have that kind of time.
The bike can be ridden for a few hours if that's all I have. Costs way less to own and operate, too.
Concur - 100%. Before we got "into" motorcycling we had a waverunner (AKA "jet ski" or PWC). That was a lot of fun but much more involved. For us it came down to: the boat can only go where there is water, the bike can take us anywhere there is a road. That's a big difference. And I can ride the bike out of the garage and begin enjoying it immediately.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #5 of 42 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Concur - 100%. Before we got "into" motorcycling we had a waverunner (AKA "jet ski" or PWC). That was a lot of fun but much more involved. For us it came down to: the boat can only go where there is water, the bike can take us anywhere there is a road. That's a big difference. And I can ride the bike out of the garage and begin enjoying it immediately.
+1 .Open the garage and go. But I would feel naked without my boat. I like to crab and fish.

2007 BMW R1200RT
2005 SV 650 "nekid"
post #6 of 42 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 9:50 pm

After having both, as the 'ol saying goes, the best 2 days of boat ownership are the day you bought it and the day you sell it. This wasn't hearsay, I heard it myself. Personally, when I leave the driveway on the LT, I'm at my destination.
post #7 of 42 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 11:31 pm

Absolutely go for a bike first. A boat takes too much fuel & it is so weather dependent.
post #8 of 42 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 11:31 pm

i took good care of my boat for the last 5 years....i bought an 1150rt just this fall.....my boat cover is covering the bike now lol

post #9 of 42 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 2:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel_petersen
Absolutely go for a bike first. A boat takes too much fuel & it is so weather dependent.

You and I must be thinking of different kinds of boats.
A sailboat is going to get you better mileage because it's a hybrid.
I would say since a boat is built for the water, it's less weather dependent, as far as standing up to the weather, although it does take a lot more effort to keep it up, thanks to the saltwater of our oceans, which leads me to the next point.
A sailboat has the capability to circumnavigate the world. You can conceivably reach at least every continent, as well as every county that has a port. A sailboat is fully self-contained, so you don't need a tent or a porta-potty or a shower. It has a galley and a sundeck for lounging and can be outfitted with your BBQ grill. One can live (reside) on a sailboat. A boat can even be outfitted with air conditioning and heat.
Let's not forget, a boat will more easily carry all of your SCUBA gear, and on a related note, it has larger capacity for luggage and other gear.

You conceivably need less clothing for a boat- just bring your speedos.
And you don't have to worry about AGATT, though a PFD can come in handy.

If it's big enough, then it can even offer passage to those of you and your bikes needing to get to another piece of dry land.

Now, taking all of this into consideration and realizing that money is an object (at least for me), I currently favor the bike.
When I win the lottery, I'll post a schedule of departure times from various ports, along with rates for ferrying. Don't fret. I'll offer a discount for my BMWLT buddies.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Last edited by bikerj; Feb 27th, 2013 at 2:14 am.
post #10 of 42 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 8:32 am

and I opened this tread expecting a photo! Have to go with bike.

Chris

President SCBMWRC

MOA / Airhead Beemer Club
2015 BMW R1200RT / 1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90

post #11 of 42 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 9:56 am

Bike. But this IS a bike forum. Ask the same question on a boater's forum ... I'm guessing the consensus will be a little different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWRoady
and I opened this tread expecting a photo!
Well played.

- Joe
post #12 of 42 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 11:05 am

This a subject I might know a little about,
I've owned a dozen bikes and just as many boats,
where you live is a big factor, I'm in Florida because I love the water,
I rarely ride my motorcycle in the summer months unless I'm going outta state.
For me that's the time to be on the 88 degree water.

I currently own what I consider to be the most luxurious motorcycle on the market,
there's no way I could ever afford the most luxurious boat
or even the one I spend all my time on in the summertime,

I'm very lucky to have a dream job as a tourist boat Captain,
my boss owns and pays for the boat and I get to play with it.

I meet new people every day that tell me that they want to get a boat,
my standard advice is the same I'll give you,

You don't want a boat, you want a "friend" with a boat.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #13 of 42 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Not sure
Hard to decide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opticalillusion.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	37778   Click image for larger version

Name:	MEANDTASHFRONT.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	37779  

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #14 of 42 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 2:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Not sure
Hard to decide.
I don't know. that woman in the boat looks like she might be in distress.
You think she got her hair caught in the prop?
I know I'm getting distressed just looking and wondering.

That's what I call AGATT

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #15 of 42 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 3:40 pm

Speedos vs ATTGAT?

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #16 of 42 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 4:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I think it's pretty apparent it all depends an which accessories are installed..................

post #17 of 42 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 4:27 pm

Sold my boat to buy my RT!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #18 of 42 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Bike without question.

Had a really nice J/25 sailboat for about 10 years and loved every minute on the water. Even pulled a number of rescues of gas-burners who ran out at sea. It is really fun to have a sailboat tow in a gas boat to the dock !

Got the sailboat based on the theory that a sailboat is cheaper to own/operate since no huge gas-guzzler engines. WRONG !!!!!

I also had an EZ-Loader trailer so I could self-launch and recover the boat without a crane. I had the initial idea of keeping the boat at home and launching and recovering daily. Problem with that was that it takes about 4 hours minimum to set the rigging and get it tuned properly, so got a permanent slip at a local marina.

Sailboat ownership issues:

1. Slip fees. Started at $75 per month and ended being 280 per.

2. Bottom jobs annually. Figure around $1500 for that after the Guv'ment decided that TBT based bottom paints were bad for the environment and killed marine organisms. Duhhhhh. The replacement stuff was crap and did not work. All sorts of stuff attached to the hull afterward. PITA.

3. Since the motor was a 15hp outboard, the gas bill was not bad, but that was another thing to break on the boat. Marine Murphy's Law in effect.

4. Sails for the boat (basic set) were initially about $3500 for the nylon stuff. Several years later the J/24 Class association decided that the then-new Mylar/Kevlar sails were the new class standard, and also assessed a "Class Fee" adding to the cost of any approved sail. North Sails version when I sold the boat was somewhere north of $8,000 for a set. That kind of negated the lack of engine expense. Also consider that the original cost of the boat was $12,000 in 1980, sail cost was, shall we say, outrageous.

5. For those who are unaware, fiberglass hulls are not maintenance free at all. Sitting in the water, even with bottom paint on, some hulls develop blistering in the gel coat that is expensive and a PITA to correct. Fiberglass swimming pools also suffer the blistering problem so I guess I learned not to ever purchase a fiberglass boat or pool.

As the old saying goes, The second best day of boat ownership is when you get rid of the damn thing.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member

Last edited by ka5ysy; Feb 27th, 2013 at 5:41 pm.
post #19 of 42 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 5:35 pm

Roadtrip
I wrote this a while back for another forum, a bit long but maybe you'll enjoy.....

...It has taken me almost two, yes that is TWO years to get a road trailer for my SunArise, a Atlas25 from Nautic Boerchert.
Much e-baying and navel searching on the internet found me a nice tandem "braked" trailer capable of carring two tonnes, it was located near Neu-Ruppin near Berlin, so come a weekend long ago I saddled up and headed north. It is quite a long run, through Austria into Germany on the Autobahn and joining the A7 at Memmingen. The A7 is the longest Motorway in Europe From Füssen to the Danish border 945 kilometes it is part of the Euroroute E45 starting in south Italy and terminating in northen Finnland 4.920 kilometers.
Good that I did not have to drive them all.
The Trailer changed hands for 1400 Euros and I took it back to CH with me,

The Trailer on the back of my somewhat agricultural Mondeo, made by Ford in Köln

Switzerland is maybe in Europe but not part of Europe, 200 Euros import tax has now brought the cost up to 1600 Euros, for 4500 Euros I can buy a spanking brand new trailer, keep this in the back of your mind.
The trailer had fresh German TÜV (Technischer Überwachungsverein, don´t know the US equvelent) The Swiss however do not give a flying fart about anything German and want the trailer to pass the MFK (Maschinenfahrzeugkontrolle).

Another view, same Mondeo

So I asked for a appointment and got one a few weeks later, I took the damn thing round to the Prüfstelle only to find out that I had been incredibily naive, my poor trailer was ripped to pieces, not only do I need new Pneus (tires) but reflectors (white) on the front mudgards, the brakes needed stripping and a new rubber squeezy thing on the hookup, the rubber squeezy thing cost a few Franks but to dismantle the hookup was the most expensive item on the bill.
Oh! Did I mention that the trailer had to be loaded with 90% of a full load for it to be tested?
I took it to a firm dealing in trailers. 1500 Franks later and it had MFK but now we are in the realm of a brand new trailer and not a used east German VEB (peoples own firm) build from 1976.

On the route back home I passed the largest freestanding building in the world, built as a hanger for the cargolifter freight Zeppelin, went down the tubes bigtime now it is tropical islands, a make believe tropical beach resort

And the bloody thing is not even taxed and has a numberplate, more B.O.A.T. units(break out another thousand).
But the time is drawing near when I can drive 1500 k´s to Denmark and pick my boat up and drive another 1500 down to CH.
Road-trip or home at last.
I finally did it! I brought SunArise, my plastic 25ft Atlas sailboat down from Denmark to Switzerland, this has been on the books now for a few years and it was turning into a project from hell.
The boat had been pining on Danish hard for the last four years and my boat-less situation was starting to haunt my dreams at night.
Up until now Sunarise had been transported on the back of a lorry but the Danish authorities had decided that a old lorry was not environmentally friendly, it could leak oil all over Denmark and had to be disposed of in a environmentally friendly/greeny way, read: pay somebody a lot of money to take it away. Since 2008 the boat had been languishing in a rented cradle.
Last year after ages and ages looking for a used trailer I found one for cheap in Germany, just to the south of Berlin so last June I fired up the Mondeo and picked it up- and imported and MFKed (Motorfahrzeug Kontrolle) to Swiss standards and taxed and insured and adorned with a SG-numberplate. Every little step was accompanied by the sound of a wallet gushing money, in the end I could have bought a brand new rig with a one year warranty had I splashed another B.O.A.T. unit. (BOAT= brake out another thousand, a acronym we shall read with a irritrating frequency.)
After that it was a question of getting time and money into sync. Well I find Einstein was wrong; time is not relative, noooo! Time is money.
The Marina in Denmark was starting to pour the pressure on certain owners to get rid of their nasty cheap 25ft boats.* in boat circles size does matter, the bigger a boat the more money can be extracted and you do not want your nice marina space cluttered up by ratty little boats, I was told that I would in future have to pay the same amount as a 35ft boat if I did not collect the thing by the new year and the rates where set to treble anyway.
So I had made arrangements to haul between Christmas and New year, I had borrowed a big SUV because dragging 2.5 tons through a large part of Europe on the hook of a Mondeo is a criminal offense.
The bloody crane at the marina broke didn't it!
It was repaired end of January, by that time I was back at work. My next pick-up window was set for easter, however the SUV I had wanted to borrow had been sold and to rent one from the commercial rent-a- car would have been expensive indeed. In a fuggit moment I looked at a cherokee, the mondeo was going in for MFK this year anyway and I was offered a good price for it, ten minutes and seven* BOAT's later the jeep was mine.
So all the infrastructure was now in place and I could attempt the 3500 Kilometer round trip..

A nameless parking spot somewhere in the middle of Europe, this was starting to be a looooooooooong drive.

With a 5.2 Liter engine under the hood..
Now if you think 1.6-odd Swiss Franks for a Liter petrol is expensive, experience the horror of 2.1 Chuffs a liter as paid for in Germany and Denmark.
The trip up was uneventful I stayed the night just short of Hannover and refilled the car this lasted me until Aarhus.

Years of being wrapped in a blue cocoon on the danish hard has taken it´t toll.

In the Marina the trailer origianaly setup for a Dehler was quickly converted to fit just by using a welder, cans of Tuborg and a few nasty words in Danish.
I had lived in Aarhus for a few years and I had found it a nice littte town, not too big and not too small, a great night life and the more Baltic sea than you can shake a paddle at I had felt very comfortable and at peace there.
It was a eerie feeling to walk along the familiar streets after years in CH, not a lot had changed but the places I had enjoyed visiting had people with unfamiliar faces, talks, Jokes and banter, filled with strangers to me, to them I was the stranger, I was no longer a part of things. I was out of the system and things had moved on, now it was time to say goodby and move on myself, my last asset in DK was on the hook of the jeep and it was* time to leave.

Lock and load, ready to go, a few haunting farewells good wishes and I was off.
Parting remark was "please leave our bridges standing this time" people have long memories hereabouts.

The looong, looong trip back home went rather well except for having to fill the car three times at 130 Euros a chug. It was horrific to see the counter tell me that the car was using 50 liters pro hundred clicks driving up the Kasseler hills and the fulda gap.

Time for a coffee in the Fulda gap.

And then I got to the A/CH border that is when things started to get fuzzy..
Zoll (customs) Hohenems. The Zöllner looked at the boat and wanted papers, that I do not have, I explained that the boat belonged to my father and only he knew where all papers where..
"Well get your father to fax them over".
"I don't think that I could get him to do that even for CH customs"
"why?"
"He has been dead for the last 15 years"
"Well then you have a problem, I can't let you into CH, you will have to take it back to Austria"
That would mean that I would be taking it back into EU territory, could be a problem in it's own right.
Now your Slammer was not having a blond, single brain-cell moment here, I knew damn well that it could be a problem, however trusted lady luck to see me through, lady luck was being a slut at the moment. I was told to turn back and go over the border at Au as the Customs office was still open, so I turned and trundled back into Austria and the border crossing at Au.
In Au the guy behind the counter started to complain about a brit and his "Huure" boat, Slammer was not going to take that.
In no uncertain terms I told him that I do no appreciate my boat adorned with the prefix of "Huure" or Whore as I would never say "Huure Zollbeamter"
He actually blushed and from his colleague I got temporary documents allowing the boat in for four days.
Giving me four days to think of a solution.
"Get yourself a pro-forma bill, something with a amount of money and a stamp on it"
Hmmm!
"I wonder if the marina bill would be enough to satisfy?"
The six B.O.A.T.'s (in Danish Crowns) I had paid and the declaration that the boat was salvage (well technically that is a bit blurry, but who cares?) was enough, I gave the whole lot over to the* Spedition our company uses and 24 hours later SunArise was no longer a illegal plastic immigrant.
$$$$$$
Just one more little thing; I had declared her as salvage but to import 1200kgs of scrap boat into CH cost me another 900 Chuffs for import tax and MwSt. (value added tax)
Was it worth it? Ask me in another two months when I have finished cringing and my credit card has stopped glowing in the dark.
Now I just need to find the money to pay for a Bodensee license and I am off, wind in my sails, half naked blonde on deck and beer in the fridge.
Ya! Right, dream on Slammer.
Ok! So the boat is here in CH, I have by now calmed down, my blood pressure will no longer inflate a truck tire but my credit card is still a puddle of melted slag permanently fused to the bottom of my wallet.
Kind things have been said above so let me give you the next installment.

She stands in the hall of a former veneer factory, a huge high timber structure with a corrugated iron "factory-stlye* roof and open walls.
Rumor has it that there is a working power outlet nearby but the only place to plug in is without lekky, I have half sold myself to get my hands on a Swiss army surplus genny from the military megastore, I will have to check it out, if memory serves they sell for around 80 Chuffs that would solve my power problem and I do not have to rely on the grace of other people.
Time to start scrubbing.

Oh this is going to take a lot of chemicals and elbow grease.

So many years without water under the fin had taken it's toll, poor SunArise was looking a bit worst for wear. Danish grime had left streaks down the hull and a lot of leaves had blown in under the tarp and were now using the nooks an crannies of the coach-roof to slowly turn into compost.
Although she was under wraps she looked a bit scruffy.

One Johnson outboard, the one without a reverse gear.

I had fretted about the structural integrity and I had feared de-lamination of the glass-fiber, I need not have been worried, this boat was built in the mid seventies when glass-fiber was still a new and exiting material and she is still solid as a rock. She points and laughs at all them modern boats suffering from osmosis.
Some bugger had taken the turny thingy fron the only faucet for miles so I filled a carboy that I use for winemaking with water at home and got scrubbing, The hull and deck cleaned up nicely but the gel-coat has dulled over time so unless I go loony and give her a new gel-coat she will remain with her well earned patina. However I will de-rust the cast iron fin and splash out for a coat of environmentally friendly anti-fouling, her old "nuke the buggers, hard" anti-fouling was now depleted so I will not be guilty of committing biocide in lake Constance.
Time to crack the seals and go inside.

I see wonderful things, maybe

Hmm! It doesn't look too bad in the pictures.

Ahh! That's better.

I had not been in the cabin for two years now and I had a Howard Carter the moment the coach roof was open.
He is often quoted for saying: "I see wonderful things"
I saw..
..That Danish rodents had set up tribe and had evidently used the air vent as a..

wait for it...

Mouseoleum...

..Ha! Ha! Ha! Little joke there.
Either that or the buggers had found religion and had been sacrificing virgins to Huizilopochli.
Brush, shovel, bones and a few whiffs of reddish fur and yup gag reflex well oiled and working fine.
In the past my minds eye had seen Sunarise all re-fitted, a shiny and sparkling ethereal swan gracing the waters of the lake. Oh the things I was going to do with that ship when she got here. One thing would have been to remove the rotted wooden mast-foot and replace it with a stainless steel stripper pole, that would have meant ripping out the cubby hole where the ships loo had been (was bust, accidentally gone overboard in the Baltic long ago) to get a single large cabin instead of a cabin and a separate v-berth.
Although not intended as a bulkhead the thin marine ply was surprisingly tough to remove. The designers at Nautic Boercherts had used aluminum rivets to fasten the boards to the spants and even after drilling them out the ply would not budge, so it is a case of either doing something violent with a mallet or leaving them in place, in the end I have decided to compromise and remove the softened ply, there is over a inch that is still solid and only three layers are damaged I will try to shore it up with glass and epoxy, methinks it will hold.

Should I the mast-foot remove? We will see young Padawan.

Them four bolts will not budge for love nor hammer.

57 way to permanently stick yourself to a boat hull using only epoxy, might get to 60 before she floats again. We will see.

--------------------------------------------------------

Epoxylante slowly opened her eyes and groaned, the alarm clock had been screeching its nails over the blackboard for only a few seconds but already she was wide awake.
Epoxylante looked at the fiery digits, it was 4.37 on a Monday morning.
Every morning was a Monday and the alarm went off at 4.37.
Always.
This was after all..
..Hell

She unfurled her long legs and got out of bed, today held a faint promise of being an interesting day, after weeks and weeks of technical support on the Microsoft helldesk red hotline, Epoxylante was scheduled for a topside job again.
And as a added bonus dispatch had teamed her up with Fubar.
Epoxylante, demon third class, area of expertise: Do it yourselfers handling glassfiber was to be teamed up with a first class über-demon.

Recently Fubar had co-starred in a few telenovellas, one of hell's best creations. There had even been a report about him on HNN, hell's 24 hour news service.
She also had heard gossip about Fubar in the canteen, it was rumored that he was a real son of a bitch. No! THE real son of a bitch.
Rumor also had it that he has a sexy butt.

But first off to dispatch for her assignment chit.
Dispatch and almost all of hell's officialdom was run by ex-Swiss bureaucrats and standing in a dispatch queue waiting was not a nice way to pass the time, even demon's have their limits.
After an eternity she got her chit and was told that she was running late and that her partner was already topside, she was to meet him at the gate of hell, plan square 4711, McDonald's, St, Margareten.

Epoxylante took the express elevator and emerged in the ladies loo.
Closing the door behind her she saw Fubar sitting at one of the tables, he was scowling at her, tapping his foot and looking at his watch, he gave his chin a swing, motioning her to go first to the counter.
At the counter a girl was watching Epoxylante with wide eyes, to a human she looked like any mom's girl from Ukraine, Epoxylante knew however that she was a imp from the third circle of hell.
The accent was a dead giveaway.
"Password" she whispered.
The two part password was of course something a human would never utter at McDonald's
"DoubleWhopper"
Then the second part:
"With cheese"
The Imp's eyes glazed over.
"Do you want fries with that?"
Demonic identities established, the Imp gave Epoxylante her assignment.
"Fell mistress your mission is to.."

Meanwhile in a little central European country that still boasts free-range cuckoo-clocks Slammer was sitting at the saloon table in his sailboat, squinting through his glasses that almost but not quite perched on the end of his nose. With the tip of his tongue between his lips Slammer was concentrating.
I wanted to re-glass the bow water tank, at some point it had acquired a few star shaped cracks and was in need of repair.

Epoxylante materialized in the tin of epoxy resin, Fubar went into the hardener.

I really tried, I had laid everything out and had cut the material to size, I poured the resin into the measuring cup and laid out the correct amount of hardener.
When I poured the resin I swear that I heard a crystal tinkle of laughter.
I used a spatula to mix resin and hardener until it went pink.
I got my roller and started to roll-paint the epoxy into the well of the tank.
That done I laid the glassfiber mat carefully fitting it into the form.
The sticky resin picked up the loose fibers and turned the roller into a fluffy cylinder, then the epoxy started to dissolve the roller.
I picked the bits of roller out of the resin and accidentally sat down in the tray still half full of epoxy.
I got a new roller which promptly disintegrated but in the end I triumphed or would have if I had made enough epoxy.
I hadn't, so I went to the back of the boat for a refuel, then I found that I had mis-cut the fibers and there was a hole and I had run out of fiber.
In the meantime the fumes had given me a headache.
And I was starting to hallucinate, instead of my familiar tinnitus I could hear a tinkling laugh.
I went to the Baumarkt and got me some more fiber matting.
Climbed back into the boat, cut the matting to size, leaned over to fill the gap, slipped and dragged down half of my carefully applied matting.
By now I was fuming, this was just not right.
Every bloody time I try to elegantly use resin like they show it in the glossy brochures I end up sticking myself to the boat's hull.

Epoxylante and Fubar had been enjoying themselves most vigorously and Fubar remarked that his partner has shown herself a true artist.
She had save the bestestes and funnyestest part for last.

I locked the boat up and went home cold, damp, hungry and coughing epoxy fumes.
Remember I said that I had spilt and sat in epoxy?
I found out the hard way that resin sticks to skin and hair real good, it had soaked though my pants and underpants making a permanent bond, I found that I also had the stuff in my crotch.
That little gem became apparent when I went for a shower, remember when you cringe taking a band-aid off with a fast riiiiip?
Well somehow it did not seem advisable now..
That took some time and it made me sweat.
Showered and epilated I went for a beer..
..and still I had this funny laughing sound in my ears.

Without men civilization would last untill the oil needs changing.
post #20 of 42 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Slammer, you probably would do better to hope a storm comes along and has a barge or something crush that boat into scrap and recover the insurance like a friend of mine did after Hurricane Katrina.

He had a 48' cruiser with twin diesels that he was trying to sell, and was about to lose about 90% of what he had in the boat as no offers were over about 10% of what he had in it. His insurance company instructed him to pull the boat and store it out of the water at the prescribed boat yard, which he did.

Katrina sent a 100 foot barge over the levy in New Orleans, into the boat yard and it crushed his boat into splinters along with about a dozen others. Insurance paid the full insured value of the boat, so as usual he landed on his feet out of a messy situation.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
post #21 of 42 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 7:23 pm

ya it was 'KINDA' long

post #22 of 42 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 10:36 pm

Wink Re: WHAT"S BETTER? Boat or Bike?

Don't think I'd ever want to own a boat but I wouldn't mind being part of a boat club.

As far as the original question goes - hands down a bike is about 10 times better than a boat. And that's a conservative estimate.

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #23 of 42 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 9:44 am

There are a lot of boat clubs in my area and I have several friends who once belonged to these boat clubs,
they don't belong anymore, they have learned their lesson.
Without going into a lot of detail, let me just say:

if it seems like it's too good to be true it usually is.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #24 of 42 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 9:46 am

Never owned a boat or PWC, but we live right by the water.

Methinks others have already hit the same points, but for me a m/c is the right choice.
I can enjoy the m/c much much more often and more easily than a boat. I can enjoy the m/c every day, riding to work, to the store, to a RTE. Just a little more planning and prep than taking the car. Convenient fun.

To me, a boat is a true luxury. Since my line of work does not require me to be on the water, a boat is for recreational use only. If I lived right on the water with a personal marina, maybe the boat could be enjoyed more easily than dragging it down to the launch, but even still...I can't take it to work, can't take it the store, can't take it across town. For me, the bike is better.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #25 of 42 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 10:07 am Thread Starter

Looks like the bike is the hands down choice here.

The FUN factor is great with both. A bike offers a different experience than a boat. I have both and several friends that own both. Both are money pits! So are kids, houses, and everything else we do. It all takes time and cash.

A great adventure starts with friends, a good drive to a great place with the right gear. We eat, drink and be merry! And then we fix the darn thing on the side of the road or middle of the ocean! Been there, done that with both

What do you do when you get stuck on a sand bar in the middle of the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon? You walk from shore to shore looking for the deep water and your knees never get wet. Stuck and waiting for the high water to return! Yes, there is a tidal effect in the Grand Canyon from the power demand/water release from the Glenn Canyon Dam. Stuck 30 years ago and friends and I were laughing about the adventure over the holidays. Good Stuff!

Nothing better than an great adventure to build friendships and memories. Bikes and boats build friendships and provide great adventures that we all enjoy!

Adventure On!
post #26 of 42 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 6:44 am

I have pondered this question over the years. I love to ride but I am happiest on the water. Came close to pulling the trigger on a pair of new Carver Voyager 570's a few years ago with my business partner. My wife would not even step foot on the demo boat until I finally convinced her that the 44,000 pound boat would not even know she had stepped aboard let alone tip over on one gunwale, slip violently below the surface of the mighty Columbia river thereby sucking her down to a horrible wet death. She finally boarded and decided that it wasn't so bad after all. Don't be tippin' or nuthin. No s**t. Asking price was nearly $1.2 million USD per copy. Didn't happen, too bad. The good news is that I didn't get filthy stinking rich off the US war effort in Iraq. The bad news is that I didn't get filthy stinking rich.

My current criteria for a boat is a plastic full displacement hull, 44 feet, economical 6 cylinder twin diesels, a/c, diesel heat, radar, in-motion sattelite disk, and a 55" plasma tv in the salon. Don't forget the tender on davits, not hanging off the stern. I hate that look. Must be under $225K so it will be used.

We live 100 river miles to the Pacific, a short fair weather jaunt up the coast(after crossing the Columbia River bar ), and eventually the inside passage to AK.

Ah to dream. BTW, if I turn left (east) instead of right (west) I have over 300 miles of river I can explore with a boat this size.

Sigh,

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Last edited by wa1200lt; Mar 2nd, 2013 at 6:49 am.
post #27 of 42 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 8:38 am

To answer the original question it depends on where you live and what your interests are of course. Do you live in Florida and enjoy boating? Or do you live in say, Nebraska?

For me, the answer is BIKE hands down. I've owned 3 boats and probably 10 bikes.
For me, boating is too much work for one day because I have to trailer it at least an hour and a half away (or do the drive anyway if I keep it in the water) plus the getting prepared ahead of time with food for the day, bait, tackle, gas, etc...and the cleanup and drive home. It's exhausting. And expensive for gas for the truck and boat.

And each time I go out I can only travel so far with the boat, so I'll be seeing the same water over and over.

Even though I live in a horribly overpopulated area and it takes me an hour of riding until I get into to a somewhat nice riding area, it's still the bike because I can ride the bike all over the country or the hemisphere for that matter, seeing and experiencing many new things and new people. Plus, I can be riding 10 minutes after deciding to, and there are plenty of gas stations and restaurants everywhere, so there's not as much planning involved. And I can bring a tent and stay out as long as I want

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #28 of 42 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 3:20 pm

If this site ever had a creative writing award, it would have to go to Slammer. I about split laughing over his misfortunes (sorry!). Every American should read it as an example of what can happen when government becomes simultaneously too big and too well intentioned. Thanks Slammer! and good luck extricating yourself from your boat.
post #29 of 42 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 11:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
There are a lot of boat clubs in my area and I have several friends who once belonged to these boat clubs,
they don't belong anymore, they have learned their lesson.
Without going into a lot of detail, let me just say:

if it seems like it's too good to be true it usually is.
Are there any boat clubs worth recommending? If I had any notion of boat ownership it was pretty much crushed after reading Slammer's story.

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #30 of 42 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 11:47 pm

Garage

Never had a boat.
Dream of one. Heck I could almost see Lake Michigan from my house.
But my vote is the bike. Have you ever seen someone going down the highway about to miss their exit and lane split try doing that with a boat
Yep Slammer does get the prize
ride safe
post #31 of 42 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 1:08 am

Owned a boat for 5 years, so I can say the following:
1) There are two happy days in a boat owners life, the day he buys it, & the day he unloads it.
2) A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money.
3) The reason they call it a boat is all the other four letter words were taken.( This also is true for golf, but that is a discussion for another forum.)
4) The letters BOAT really mean BOrrow Another Thousand.
post #32 of 42 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 6:52 am

Hmmm, that's like saying what's better: Boat, RV or motorcycle?

(My Honda Trail 90 fits nicely in the outdoor living room, right next to the couch when the table is stowed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0IwHewPvEg

https://picasaweb.google.com/MillerR...ildingTheYKnot
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	toon at reflection canyon.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	465.7 KB
ID:	37891   Click image for larger version

Name:	toon front view.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	37892  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #33 of 42 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 7:03 am

Ron that is a cool setup. Camper on a party barge ! Is that Lake Mead by any chance? The bathtub ring is a strong hint.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
post #34 of 42 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 9:37 am

A redneck yacht?

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #35 of 42 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 10:00 am

I grew up in a boating family and inherited a 42' carver years ago so I have done a lot of boating. I can remember complaining when the price of diesel got up to 1.85 per gallon. With a 400 gal capacity and a fuel burn of around 30 gal an hour the cost was high. On top of that the storage cost, slip rental, maintenance, having it hauled out for the winter and put back in come spring time got to be too much for me. We got rid of that thing and got a small 19' open bow. We don't use it much so for me the bike is better!!!

BOAT=

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #36 of 42 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy
Ron that is a cool setup. Camper on a party barge ! Is that Lake Mead by any chance? The bathtub ring is a strong hint.
Powell. Mead's "OK" but nowhere as interesting as Glen Canyon. Almost 2K miles of shoreline to explore.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #37 of 42 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 3:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_S
A redneck yacht?
Hmmm...

Permanently mounted queen visco bed accepts regular fitted sheets. (I'm partial to 600 thread count Pima cotton - that Egyptian stuff is just a bit too irritating for my skin)

lightweight down comforter

electric flush toilet

twin basin stainless steel sink

twin burner stove

fridge AND freezer

32" LED HDTV and Blue Ray DVD player

90 watts of solar power

1000 watt inverter so I can have AC power to grind my coffee beans fresh each morning

6 gal. hot water tank and shower

57 gallons potable pressurized water

air conditioning

residential style furnace

Indoor/outdoor blue tooth stereo

No garbage disposal or dishwasher. YET.

...but I AM considering an inflatable hot tub that I could tow behind when cruising:
http://www.wayfair.com/Comfort-Line-...1-EHA1004.html

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Mar 8th, 2013 at 3:41 pm.
post #38 of 42 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Hmmm, that's like saying what's better: Boat, RV or motorcycle?

(My Honda Trail 90 fits nicely in the outdoor living room, right next to the couch when the table is stowed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0IwHewPvEg

https://picasaweb.google.com/MillerR...ildingTheYKnot
Would an LT make it to that location.
Or must you have a trail bike. I can't figure out where you pilot this rig from in front of the sleep quarters or back by the utility center. You really have it anchored. That boulder on right certainly is not going anywhere. You got the best of BOAT worlds . . . I meant BOTH worlds
ride safe
post #39 of 42 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 8:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
Would an LT make it to that location.
Or must you have a trail bike. I can't figure out where you pilot this rig from in front of the sleep quarters or back by the utility center. You really have it anchored. That boulder on right certainly is not going anywhere. You got the best of BOAT worlds . . . I meant BOTH worlds
ride safe
Actually the Trail 90 was a bit too big - and a bit too slow.

So, I built THIS instead. Sporting 110cc, an oversize carb, match ported intake, non-restrictive air filter and straight through exhaust it puts out ALMOST 5 hp. It's a MUCH faster grocery getter - and climbs steep hills as well as the Trail 90.

Plus, it's a BMW.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	R11 right side shot.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	37896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ron on R11.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	37897   Click image for larger version

Name:	R11-1 Vergasser.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	37898  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Mar 8th, 2013 at 8:09 pm.
post #40 of 42 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Actually the Trail 90 was a bit too big - and a bit too slow.

So, I built THIS instead. Sporting 110cc, an oversize carb, match ported intake, non-restrictive air filter and straight through exhaust it puts out ALMOST 5 hp. It's a MUCH faster grocery getter - and climbs steep hills as well as the Trail 90.

Plus, it's a BMW.
You sir are a collector.
Your talents are showing. But most of all it makes you exempt from this topic. You can Both with a straight face just being careful how you spell it . . . Boat
Seems like a nice size until you get on it or do you also excel in the area of trick photography
ride safe
post #41 of 42 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 11:52 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Not sure
Hard to decide.
My thoughts exactly...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	37902  

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

Last edited by tvguy; Mar 9th, 2013 at 12:13 am.
post #42 of 42 Old Mar 9th, 2013, 12:41 pm

Hey, I don't see a boat in that picture. I thought this was about bikes and boats.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in