This is a huge blow to motorcyclists... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 9:50 am Thread Starter

Angry This is a huge blow to motorcyclists...

AMA OUTRAGED OVER CALIFORNIA'S RIVERSIDE COUNTY RIDING RESTRICTIONS

(3/31)
(3/19/2006)

The American Motorcyclist Association has expressed its outrage over decisions by the Riverside County, California, Board of Supervisors that would severely restrict the use of off-highway vehicles, even on private land.

On March 28, the Board of Supervisors approved a law that prohibits all OHV riding on private property except for the period from noon to 5 p.m. and requires riders to stay 100 feet from property lines and 250 feet from neighboring homes. The law also allows the use of only one OHV per 10 acres of land, with a maximum of four vehicles on a single parcel, no matter how large the area. To get a conditional use permit allowing more vehicles would cost up to $10,000. These restrictions apply to land in all unincorporated parts of Riverside County, located east of Los Angeles.

At the same meeting, the County Board also gave final approval to a highly restrictive noise regulation that sets maximum allowable sound levels at the property line at 50, 55 or 75 decibels, depending on the zoning of the parcel. That puts allowable noise levels from OHVs well below those commonly produced by highway traffic, air conditioners, or even an electric toothbrush.

The AMA, Off-Road Business Association, EcoLogic, Jack and Jeremy McGrath and others worked hard to defeat these restrictive measures, mounting an education campaign that was successful in getting members of the county Planning Commission to significantly modify parts of the OHV and sound proposals. But when those proposals went before the Board of Supervisors, they reinstated all of the most restrictive elements, and added even more.

"Despite thoughtful comment from national, state, and local rider organizations, small businesses, the California Off Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division and literally hundreds of riders in attendance, the supervisors voted almost unanimously to criminalize families who recreate together on private property while offering no real solutions for penalizing those who are truly riding illegally," said Edward Moreland, AMA vice president for government relations. "I'm stunned that the board would take such draconian measures when its own Planning Commission presented it with a plan that everyone could live with.

"I'm also disappointed that the board refused to base its decision on science presented by sound experts," Moreland added. "Instead, the board based its decision on the conjecture and hyperbole of a few vocal proponents of the strict law."

The new law is a major blow to motorcycling because Riverside County is a hotbed of OHV activity. It's the home and practice ground of racing heroes like Jeremy McGrath, Rick Johnson and Jeff Emig. Honda, Yamaha, KTM, Suzuki and Kawasaki have test facilities there. Plus, the county has some 30 OHV-related businesses and 48,000 registered OHVs. Moreland fears the new law could spark similar measures in California and around the nation.

--30--

The American Motorcyclist Association: rights. riding. racing.

Founded in 1924, the AMA is a non-profit organization with more than 270,000 members. The Association's purpose is to pursue, protect and promote the interests of motorcyclists, while serving the needs of its members. For more information, visit the AMA website at www.AMADirectlink.com, or call 1-800-AMA-JOIN.

Jeff Adkins
San Diego (Scripps Ranch), CA

2000 K1200LT Icon Basalt Grey

IBA Member # 19537
AMA # 242000
BMW MOA # 111485

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 2:16 pm

Its sick..... BUT all they have to do is vote them out and vote in ones who will change it back,,,but the majority of the county may have wanted the law............Regards Pete
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 4:00 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I saw Jeremy McGrath speak about this on Two Wheel Tuesday. I can understand how some folks may get upset at open-piped dirt bikes running day and night, but I think they've gone way too far. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 7:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I saw Jeremy McGrath speak about this on Two Wheel Tuesday. I can understand how some folks may get upset at open-piped dirt bikes running day and night, but I think they've gone way too far. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.
I saw the interview as well. McGrath also said that once the noise became a problem he restricted the bikes running on his property to stock exhaust systems. Perhaps too little too late. I wonder want the economic impact to the county would be if all those ATVs and dirt bikes with related businesses went elsewhere?

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:26 am

The property rights thing irritates me, but OTOH I've been saying for years that this is exactly the corner the loud pipes are going to box us into. ALL of us.

Ask anyone in general aviation what grief noise issues cause them.
Jet skis are another good example.

We have to speak up, apply peer pressure and police ourselves. If not... it will be done for us by people who hate us and know little or nothing about our sport.

Say it on forums like this and to friends with loud bikes...

LOUD PIPES RISK RIGHTS.
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 7:28 am

Well it's a huge blow to loud, off road bikes, that's for sure
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 7:38 am

We need to wake up to what's going on.

We are fighting a similar battle here in SC Forest. Public land that we have been riding on for 30+ years. Forest Service has now taken over and made it difficult to ride. Some of our trails have been closed since before Thanksgiving!

The Ultra-Conservationalist know how to push the right buttons with the government and we need to learn as well.

Think it doesn't effect your LT? THINK AGAIN.....!

Do you like your Remus pipe? Forget it under some proposed rules that are already in effect in some towns. NO after market pipes unless they are EPA and whatever approved. If your pipes don't have the official stamp on them, you are busted. They aren't saying anything about loud here- no aftermarket pipes.

The move is on to make after market a bad thing all around. So, Like to work on your bike...forget it. You won't be certified.

Like those Farkles....forget it unless certified.

I was speaking to AMA rep several weeks ago about the battle we are having and he mentioned some of the above.

JOIN THE AMA and help us fight this nonsense.

It's not just Jeremy's problem, its all bikers - dirt, touring, street, custom, and etc.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 7:42 am

"To get a conditional use permit allowing more vehicles would cost up to $10,000."

That quote in itself shows the level of corruption you guys are up against. What is the point in limiting the number of bikes per piece of land, if but for a certain amount of cash in an officials pocket, you can have as many as you like, and to hell with who is complaining about them!!
Stinks of corruption to me, and I'd be going after the guy that wrote that....in my official capacity of course
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:40 am

Well, it is a hobby ( for some of us at any rate)

But what really concerns me is the strawman slippery slope you built. Getting noise certification on an muffler (an excellent idea for vechicles that travel on public roads) is a long way from ALL addons must be certified. you paniced response is no better that the very group your are ralling against. In fact you are using the very tactic that you bemoan them for using.
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 7:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixchard

But what really concerns me is the strawman slippery slope you built. Getting noise certification on an muffler (an excellent idea for vechicles that travel on public roads) is a long way from ALL addons must be certified. you paniced response is no better that the very group your are ralling against. In fact you are using the very tactic that you bemoan them for using.
Wake up Richard. There are moves afoot by the government (non-elected officials) to do just that. Outlaw all add ons unless they meet some to be determined standards. Also to eliminate the ability of any of us to work on our bikes unless we're certified mechanics usiing only OEM parts. AMA has covered this in their past 2 (I think) issues of their magazine. Also, watch out for EU restrictions becoming standard over here.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #11 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2006, 8:11 am

Online sources please
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:42 pm Thread Starter

www.amadirect.com

Quote:
Online sources please

Jeff Adkins
San Diego (Scripps Ranch), CA

2000 K1200LT Icon Basalt Grey

IBA Member # 19537
AMA # 242000
BMW MOA # 111485

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"

post #13 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2006, 1:42 pm
Bouncer

That site has nothing to do with the AMA. Please try again.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #14 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2006, 2:24 pm

I assume you were trying to send me HERE . Even there I see nothing that indicates someone is writing laws that say every item we add something to our bike will need some type of certification. Would you be so kind as to point out where I missed it?
post #15 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2006, 3:37 pm

Quote:

Richard,

I think you misunderstood DRMAJOR's point. This is not something he is proposing, it's something that some legislative bodies are proposing. Now I can't speak for the "... being certified to add farkles" comment, but I did read an article in the AMA magazine a couple of months ago about a move a foot to have all exhaust systems tested and certified by the EPA. The premiss is that the cost of certification will drive aftermarket pipe manufacturers out of business, leaving you with only OEM as an option.

I think DRMAJOR's point (correct me if I'm wrong) is that this is what could happen if we all just sit back and say "... oh, that's the off road guys problem!" In fact, the general public that I run into (work, church, sports, etc.) tend to lump us into one big group.

Further more, DRMAJOR is just trying to stimulate support for a cause that could effect us all. This is not a selfserving cause, this is a cause for the group. What would be the motivation for trying to instill "panic" to support a non-selfserving cause? Maybe every point can not be enumerated in a legalistic fashion, however the goal is to stimulate interest. I don't think DRMAJOR has come to his conclusions capriciously, so I chose to give him the benefit of the doubt.

If you are concerned about this subject, I suggest you join the AMA and spend more time trying to affect change by supporting those who are compelled to act, instead of beating up on them for believing in something.

Bill B

2000 K1200LTC - Mighty Matilda
2003 KLR650

There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in