Time lapse already recorded live footage - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 3:23 am Thread Starter

Cool Time lapse already recorded live footage

Folks,
I have recorded a few hours of riding of a local ride and it goes for a few hours.ihave copied it from my digital video camera to my dvd recorder and the copy quality is magic.

now what i need to do is take this footage i have and turn it in to a time lapse film and add a song to it.

Any ideas how to take the movie i have shot and convert it somehow to a time lapse video???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:06 am

I don't know what software you would use, but regular film is either 24 or 32 frames per second, If I recall correctly.

So to get a one frame per second time lapes shot, you would grab every 24th or 32nd frame and string them together.

It sounds like an interesting idea. Let us know when you get it worked out.

Good Luck

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:29 pm

Film (cinema motion pictures) is 24 FPS; Digital Video (DV) is 30 FPS, although other video formats do vary. I suspect that some of the higher end video editors probably have a function that will do this, although I have not used them. If your going to try the pluck-a-frame method, make sure the DV is not interlaced. It's probably not if the quality is as good as you say, but it should be easy to check with various freeware utilities on the net, or any decent video editing package. Good Luck!

Brett

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'!

2003 BMW K1200LTC "El Gato Grande"
1993 Suzuki GSXR1100W
1978 Suzuki GS1000C 'Project'

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 1:13 am

Garage
You can use Adobe Premiere Elements (can be found for ~$60 after rebate).

They have a "time stretch" function that will expand/speed up a clip based on some percentage. I just tried it and was able to get a 10 minute clip "compressed" into a 10 second clip by doing a 5000% "time stretch" (anything LESS that 100% will expand the clip). Although it was a bit too fast, it demonstrates this program's capabilities. It also allows you to "split" a clip, so if you have one particular scenic area of the ride you can keep it real-time and compress the rest.

I highly recommend this program - it has LOTS of cool video effect functions, DVD functions (menus, etc.), audio functions, etc. - all for what I consider a fairly decent price for the feature set. One word of caution - make sure you have lots of hard drive space (~10 GIG for source files and DVD burn files) and lots of memory (I'm running 2 GIG RAM) - not sure about the processor but I'm running a 2.4 GIG Pentium 4 and it works quite well.

Good luck!

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 5:22 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your feedback.
i have been hunting on the net and there is a few programs round that are shareware that will do it and everywhere else says Adobe Premiere.

I will keep hunting though. with a bit of luck i *MIGHT* be able to use a web cam snap shot program and point it to my file i have saved on the hdd and that would do the trick...
now to find one that will do the job...

more hunting

and my pc is a 3 ghz hyper thread cpu with one gig of ram and i have a spare 40 gig scratch drive just for stuffing round with my video creations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in