Not Bike Related But Absoultely Amazing! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 7:12 am Thread Starter

Not Bike Related But Absoultely Amazing!

This is for all you scientists out there, especially those of you who live in the frozen north! The guy in this video shows a bottle of water at -20°C which he says did not freeze until he shook it, turned it upside down, and tapped it on the bottom at which point it instantly froze. IS this video magic or some little known law of physics?

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ryNumber=50683

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 9:57 am

Re: Not Bike Related But Absoultely Amazing!

something to do with nucleation points, I'm guessing?

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #3 of 4 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 10:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
something to do with nucleation points, I'm guessing?

It does indeed involve nucleation. As we all know water freezes below 0 degrees Celsius (32F). Ice crystals form more easily when they can attach to something such as a dust particle or other crystals that have already formed. This process of initiating the crystallization process is what is known as "nucleation." Seeding clouds with silver iodine or dry ice in hopes of causing rain or snow involves a similar scientific principle.

In the absence of impurities in the water or scratches or imperfections in the bottle, the water may remain in its liquid state even below the freezing point. This supercooled state is said to be "metastable." The water will stay liquid until something (such as shaking it) causes it to “nucleate” i.e start the crystallization process. Once the process is started, the crystals will build on each other and spread through the water in the bottle.

The opposite effect is superheating and can be demonstrated in the microwave. A clean cup of water can be heated above the boiling point without “bubbling”. However, if you introduce something such as instant coffee crystals, it will begin to boil violently. If you try it, be very careful.

We used to do both superheating and supercooling experiments in chemistry class. Not a mystery, but still a fun “parlor trick” for someone who has never seen it happen.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)

post #4 of 4 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 1:14 pm

We have an agreement on this process. This is from one of my best friends. Interesting anecdote about WWII.

This one is simple. Water requires a nucleus or some additional energy to freeze. Pure water will remain liquid well below freezing until motion starts the process which then happens almost instantly. There is a documented example of this happening during World War 2 outside of Leningrad. German shells stampeded a herd of horses who ran into a liquid pond. The energy from their entry was enough to start the freezing process. The horses died an agonizing death in the suddenly frozen pond.
The water bottle guy could have achieved the same effect (if he could have without moving the bottle) by dropping a minute particle into the bottle. This is one of the many peculiarities of the water molecule. At the same temperature and pressure, water often exists in three states at once, solid, liquid, and gas. It is the only compound I am aware of that decreases in density as a solid, which is why ice floats.
I doubt if the water bottle guy could have achieved the same results from tap water since it has move dissolved minerals and usually has some microscopic solids.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in